Recording correct FOV with Rift

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Recording correct FOV with Rift

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:32 am

Many have probably noticed these days that taking shadowplay recordings of Elite while using the Rift is oddly cropped, it's like you only get a recording of 40% of the left eye, probably to conform to some aspect ratio setting somewhere deep.

It's not even centered so when I look straight, the recording pretty much all focuses on the radar.
Utterly disturbing to watch and quite useless.
And a little perplexing since the Vive doesn't have this issue at all.

Well I was perusing the forums tonight, cause nothing better to do and stumbled on an old sticky detailing the "Stereo Extra Display", I know this might be late to the party but I might as well mention it since there is a very large upswing of CV1 owners who might like to continue twitching or making youtube vids.

This window is triggered by accessing the Appconfig.xml (you should know this file already, mine is at "F:\EDLaunch\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64"), insert this bit of code after the Display block, before the Threads block:

Code: Select all

<StereoExtraDisplay>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Monitor>1</Monitor>
      <Width>1080</Width>
      <Height>1200</Height>
      <VSync>false</VSync>
      <BehaviourIfStereoRenderDisabled>HideWindow</BehaviourIfStereoRenderDisabled>
   </StereoExtraDisplay>

This presents an un-cropped render window of the left eye that you can capture using OBS or other capturing\streaming software of choice.
Here's one I just grabbed today, It's a little blocky but works better than before that's for sure.

https://youtu.be/BRyUk1oYMFI

Pardon any spelling errors or what not's, It's a bout 3 am here and I now need to get some sleep :P

Updated with before pic.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Re: Recording correct FOV with Rift

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm

That does appear to be the correct aspect ratio for the panels. It looks vertically stretched, but I measured it and it's not. So if both panels show approximately the same area from two different angles, does it actually look that narrow in the HMD? It seems like the panels should be rotated 90 degrees for a more natural "landscape" sight picture. Also, why to the other VR vids appear in a landscape format? Also, did you use ShadowPlay to record that?

Thanks.
It's time to give this another go.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:39 pm

I've had the same FOV issue with recent nVidia and/or Rift drivers. But I really don't have much prior time with earlier drivers to confirm.

I am sick of the memory leaks, however. That definitely happened after an nVidia driver update. I'm about to fall back to older drivers.

I have a feeling it's all on the nVidia side, given I'm using Shadowplay. In fact, I can no longer get Shadowplay to work. I want to say it worked with the Rift prior.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Indeed correct fov is probably the wrong description.
I'm only guessing here but I expect it grabs image of the left eye before it gets any lens adjustments applied , in the rift it definitely doesn't seem quite so narrow and tall.
Most maybe since I also have the right eye viewpoint that widens it considerably.

But either HMD could benefit from better fov. Now it is kind of like having blinders on.

I can pretty much see the target info panel and pip settings at the edges when facing straight ahead.

As for drivers I am still on drivers from a few months back.
Having a 980ti doesn't get much benefit from new driver sets since they are mostly for 10x0 series these days. If it ain't broke I don't need to fix it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:17 pm

I am also figuring out there is some hinky ness going on with OBS, I still haven't gotten it tweaked just yet.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”