Budget Base Attack Ship

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Black Rose

Budget Base Attack Ship

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:23 pm

I found this video last night, might be useful for someone.

Gonna try it myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysB9AKl_yXs

Here are few builds I worked out:

Cheap Adder build:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/adder/23A3A3A1D2A3E3C2f0p0p0303B42927v64u.Iw1+kA==.IwBj4yyA?bn=Adder%20Cheap%20Base%20Attk

Viper Mk IV

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/24A4A4A2D3A3A4C2f2f10100303B30329v62725.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Viper%20MkIv%20Ground%20Attack

I had a Cobra build as well but the Viper has a better jump range and is an all around better ship IMO for this sort of thing.
Last edited by Black Rose on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Budget Base Attack Ship

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:27 pm

What few bases I have attacked so far has mostly been best assaulted from an SRV so you technically can do that in a non shielded sidewinder if you like.

The only minor hiccup with Metcalf is the Goliath, but as I figured last night, just have it accidentally hit on of the gun placements around the outlier generators and the bases own defenses will kill it in three seconds flat..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:59 pm

TorTorden wrote:What few bases I have attacked so far has mostly been best assaulted from an SRV so you technically can do that in a non shielded sidewinder if you like.

The only minor hiccup with Metcalf is the Goliath, but as I figured last night, just have it accidentally hit on of the gun placements around the outlier generators and the bases own defenses will kill it in three seconds flat..

What is a "Goliath"; a missile system or a beam weapon array?

Also, while Cubeo missions seems to be the hub for advancement missions are there other places that anyone knows of? Reason I ask is that I operate out of the HIP 16607 and Hip 20524 area and I think Cubeo is 6 jumps in my Asp explorer so a big pain in the bottom for a small ship like a Viper. Although I could fit a fuel scoop or even extra tanks for the trip out.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Why not do it in the Asp?

You land outside of the base's region and approach via the buggy and do whatever to complete the missions.

You then drive off and recall your ship, it never comes under fire or anything if you don't cock up.

A Goliath is a big ass skimmer with missile launchers and should be a bitch and a half to take out in a single SRV but you know FD and bugs..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:43 pm

My partner and I took out our 1st base today. All the skimmers, turrets and a Goliath. He was in a DBS and I was in my Viper Mk IV. We took positions at 12 and 6 o'clock, hovered at a down angle like a helicopter and lets loose with beams and dumb fire missiles.

The base was totally destroyed, as far as defenses, in less then 5 minutes. It was an easy mission and pretty much for practice. My armored Viper survived two head on crashes into the ground at 200 km on two occasions. The armor is 1400 with the largest bi-weave shield that will fit.

I crash allot as I am jabber jabbering on the mic constantly lol

Was good fun :)

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:19 am

Black Rose wrote:I had a Cobra build as well but the Viper has a better jump range and is an all around better ship IMO for this sort of thing.

Cobra 3 or 4? i found the Viper 4 and Cobra 4 to both be quite good for planetside stuff, but my Cobra 4's extra 20t cargo (40t total) and DSS offset its inferior jump range compared to the Viper 4

i wasn't expecting to like the Viper 4 at all, Viper 3 was one of my least favourite ships so the 4 was a very pleasant surprise, and will remain in my fleet
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:19 am

It seems to me that attacking from an SRV would just take forever. That, and at least at Metcalf, there's no truly easy way to get to the comms terminal without starting on the landing pad. Yes, it can be done, as there's a slanty piece of wall you can drive up, but that never goes smoothly or quickly for me. The missile-gunship method worked great for me. I spent far more time flying to load up on missions and cycling the boards than actually attacking. I could have all of the ground turrets dead and lining up a shot on that one on the roof before anything got a chance to shoot at me. I never lost a ring of shields unless I got sloppy and totally forgot about a turret, which happened a couple times.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:06 am

clivewil wrote:Cobra 3 or 4? i found the Viper 4 and Cobra 4 to both be quite good for planetside stuff, but my Cobra 4's extra 20t cargo (40t total) and DSS offset its inferior jump range compared to the Viper 4

i wasn't expecting to like the Viper 4 at all, Viper 3 was one of my least favourite ships so the 4 was a very pleasant surprise, and will remain in my fleet

Cobra Mk III. I never bought the full version of Horizons so as far as I know I will never get that ship :(

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:02 pm

By all accounts I've seen, you aren't missing anything.

CMDRBuxton
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Buxton

Postby CMDRBuxton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:49 pm

I tried what was shown in the video with a few cheap ships and the best was the dbs. Having 4 point defenses. Made all the difference against the Goliaths.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Return to “Tips and Tricks”