Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Postby Loriath » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:36 am

Samantha Moore wrote:Well I have now run even more missions for the federation, and my rank remains at 100%. And still no promotion missions (or what ever they are called). And my rep is at 2%.

I am not so sure now, what is going.

And in regards to join you Dudley. I would love to, thank you. I could do with learning from someone, that knows what they are doing. All though I am fairly sure I can land on a planet, most of the time

The mission will pop only in a station where the controlling faction is Federation and you are allied with them. Unless there is a bug preventing it, it should happen.

As far as joining us, add Dudley_Dawg and Loriath in game and when we are all on, we can get together and show yo how NOT to land on a planet :)
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby thebs » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:As it stands by the end of this day. With my cobra. I have upgraded my weapons, to something with a bit more punch. And my gear is all now D rated (where it can be upgraded). With this it is doing the missions I want (trading and courier) with ease. I have even done a bit of combat with it. Namely when I got pulled out of warp by an npc, I killed that npc and got the bounty.

So at this point do I continue to upgrade the cobra?, or save for the next ship (I really play this game a lot I know)
Weight reduces jump range, so it's a balance. E.g., An A-rated component usually weighs as little as a C-rated components, more than a D-rated, but less than a B-rated.

Better rated components give you more capability, such as a distributor recharge your boost and lasers faster.

Also keep in mind that going -1 size but a better rating can reduce weight for the same capability, but will cost more than the equivalent capability at a larger size. E.g., an 3A power plant will usually have more capability for the same or less weight than a 4D power plant, but at a much greater cost.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Samantha Moore

Postby Samantha Moore » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Well after much thought, and after playing around. I have swapped my cobra for a viper. Still has a decent cargo hold, for when I do my missions. But so much better for when it comes to trying out combat. Gear wise, it is mostly on C rated

Will see how that works for me.

Serinea
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Serinea

Postby Serinea » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 pm

With the Federation and Empire factions if you look at the status screen you'll see you actually have two ratings listed. The first is your reputation with the faction as a whole, and goes from Neutral to alied (if i recall correctly), the second is your navy rating.

The faction rep will go up and down reasonably quickly, and when it's over about 90% you're "allied" with that faction, this doesn't give you any specific bonuses that i've seen, though i get the sense that i get scanned less in allied systems.

With the second bar, the Navy rep, when it reaches 100% is when you'll start to get offered navy missions. This caught me out for quite a while, i was allied with the federation and couldn't figure out why i wasn't getting navy progresion missions till i realised the second bar was important.

Your navy rank takes a while to build up, but unlike your faction rep it won't decrease.

Hope that helps.

Fly safe sommander.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:Well after much thought, and after playing around. I have swapped my cobra for a viper..

*Shakes Head*

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:Well I have now run even more missions for the federation, and my rank remains at 100%. And still no promotion missions (or what ever they are called). And my rep is at 2%.

I am not so sure now, what is going.

And in regards to join you Dudley. I would love to, thank you. I could do with learning from someone, that knows what they are doing. All though I am fairly sure I can land on a planet, most of the time

Ah.. you see the "knowing what they're doing"..part, might not be 100% accurate.. :P

Kharma, Lori, Tor... do we know what we're doing..? :shock:
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
Samantha Moore wrote:Well after much thought, and after playing around. I have swapped my cobra for a viper..

*Shakes Head*

:lol: You know you have a special place in your heart for Vipers.. :D It's the sound they make when they go boom.. ;)
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Well I am now going to dig myself a hole, and make things worse. And also prove how new I am to E-D
I sold the Cobra for a Viper. Decided I want to try mining, so I got a type 6. Decided I did not like mining. So I got cobra again. So to an earlier comment about how good the cobra is, you are so right. After all my messing about, and acting the noob. I ended up going back to the cobra.

On the bright side, I still have a lot of cash

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Re: RE: Re: Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Samantha Moore wrote: After all my messing about, and acting the noob. I ended up going back to the cobra.

On the bright side, I still have a lot of cash

It sounds like you're having fun trying different things, and that's all that matters. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:46 pm

yep i am, and i think i know what i want next :) the asp explorer