Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
BishopSlamchest
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Bishop Slamchest
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Postby BishopSlamchest » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:58 am

Not quite sure what I want to spend my time in E:D doing, though I've mostly been "Space trucking" so far, doing hauling missions. I'm up to 53k credits, and wondering if I should even be worrying about my next ship yet, or what I should even go for.

Still in a Sidewinder, if I wasn't clear enough :)

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Re: Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Postby Mobius » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:03 am

myself would take the Cobra Mk3 even though I have a anaconda I still use the Cobra, one of the best all round ships in the game.

Telengo
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Telengo

Postby Telengo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:15 am

Your next ship is most likely going to be the Hauler and then the Adder. The Hauler will give you a little bit more cargo space, but your goal early on generally is to work towards a Cobra. Once there you can look into Rare trading which is help generate credits much faster. Although early on it is a lot of cargo hauling which can be a bit of a grind.

If hauling is not your thing, you want to go the Viper route and move into combat.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:29 am

Yep I went.....Sidey----> Hauler----> Adder---->Cobra---->Asp Explorer and stayed there.......

Because IMHO the ASP is the best all rounder and suits my gameplay.......Some people have multiple ships for different roles...I don't because I tend to flit around a bit and get bored quickly.....

I did try the Eagle and the Viper, but did not like them for one reason or another....

I have flown most of the other ships in Beta and the only one that *Might* drag me kicking and screaming out of the Asp is the Python....

Remember when you do buy a new ship make sure you have enough credits for insurance.....Upgrade of the ships modules and credits for cargo....NEVER fly without insurance.....It will come back and bite you in the arse......

With the amount you have I would say hold off and carry on grinding and taking missions.....Even when you are in a hauler you will still have to grind the trade routes, but your profits will increase....

Unfortunately at the start there is a lot of grinding.....After that...with money in the bank you tend to get more freedom and you can choose your path....

That's my 2 cents.....

:)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Telengo
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Telengo

Postby Telengo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:53 am

What he said...and I hate agreeing with Kharma, because he is a Federation fairy cake! :)

Also when you sell your ship(s), always downgrade any modules to E rated. And get the money back on that lovely A rated FSD you may have purchased. And never be afraid to travel to better ship yards, certainly when there is high tech yards with 15% discounts.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:41 am

I've gone sidewinder - cobra - type 6 - viper

Cobra is very good, can be outfitted for any task - with 40t of cargo you can still have a good combat sortie and fly away to fight again - affordable jump range fully laden is about 12ly unless you can afford to a rate the FSD then your looking at near 18ish

Type 6 I had issues with interdictions and not being able to run and consequently lost it :( along with a nice shipment of cargo :(

Viper I've got a rated as my
Combat ship and love it - fast and manoeuvrable requires pip management to get the most out of the speed and handling but that's the learning curve :)

Still got my cobra for safe cargo missions - I'll pick up cargo grinding once I can afford something bigger and can hold it's own

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:40 pm

I went Sidewinder - Eagle -> Adder -> Cobra -> Cobra + Type 6 -> Asp -> Asp + Type 7 -> Python.

The Hauler could be used to replace the Eagle in this if you want to stick with trading for a bit longer at the beginning

The Adder is an good entry level all rounder, the Cobra III is the classic Elite ship, good at everything, great value for money. The Asp remains one of my favorite ships of all time, and the Python, well what can yo say about a full combat ready ship with 200 cargo capability and the ability to land at outposts.

Of course there is a lot more choice now, the Diamond Backs are worth a look, I've had some good experiences with the DB Explorer and the Imp Courier is a capable combat ship.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Xebeth wrote:and the Imp Courier is a capable combat ship.

Not when it's in my sights........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
Xebeth wrote:and the Imp Courier is a capable combat ship.

Not when it's in my sights........

:D

LMAO :lol:

Edit: The courier is a great ship though! However, I would try to get to a Cobra MkIII as it's one of the best multi-role ships. Start your rare-runs/missions and make some "dosh".
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

BishopSlamchest
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Bishop Slamchest

Postby BishopSlamchest » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll get on tonight and put it to good use when I boot back into Windows.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”