Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Sense at last......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby thebs » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:17 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:Well I am now going to dig myself a hole, and make things worse. And also prove how new I am to E-D
I sold the Cobra for a Viper. Decided I want to try mining, so I got a type 6. Decided I did not like mining.
The key to mining is to do it for the mission payouts, not the grinding. I don't mind except for the mission payouts. That's why I'm now doing ice mining for 0.5-1M credit payouts.

Frankly, ice mining is the coolest thing in VR, even if it hits the FPS pretty hard.

JohnLuke wrote:
Samantha Moore wrote: After all my messing about, and acting the noob. I ended up going back to the cobra.
On the bright side, I still have a lot of cash

It sounds like you're having fun trying different things, and that's all that matters. :)

Truth. I probably took 3x as long as a noob should to get to an Asp and Vulture. But I had a lot of fun doing so.

I stupidly ignored the community goals until after joining here in April. That is the best way to earn money quick. Had I known about them before I even had 1M credits, I would have gotten to 10M credits rather quickly.

Samantha Moore wrote:yep i am, and i think i know what i want next :) the asp explorer

Don't forget the DiamondBack Explorer for some short exploration runs 1,000ly out. I wish I would have done that early on. Instead, I waited until I had enough for a fully kitted Asp Explorer and regretted doing such ... I missed a lot of fun exploring for far too long.

That said, I went out just over 1,000ly last week, and in just a matter of a dozen to a dozen and a half hours, earned over 4M credits in just exploration data. Raised my Explorer rank another half-way to the next level.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Samantha Moore

Postby Samantha Moore » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Well thanks to a lot of excellent advice, about the Sothis run. I now have my ASP Explorer. I am currently out of the bubble, by about 500ly. Having some exploring

You are correct I should have gone with the diamondback. But I just hate the limited slots with that ship. So I skipped it, and when straight to the ASP-X. But this ships is fully kitted for the job it is doing.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Congrats on the Asp.

The DB-X is a good little ship, but the Asp is better, I'm sure you'll be very happy with her.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:Well thanks to a lot of excellent advice, about the Sothis run. I now have my ASP Explorer. I am currently out of the bubble, by about 500ly. Having some exploring
You are correct I should have gone with the diamondback. But I just hate the limited slots with that ship. So I skipped it, and when straight to the ASP-X. But this ships is fully kitted for the job it is doing.
Xebeth wrote:Congrats on the Asp.
The DB-X is a good little ship, but the Asp is better, I'm sure you'll be very happy with her.

Oh, if you already have the money for the Asp Explorer, forget what I said. I thought you didn't have enough for the Asp yet.

I just wish I would have known about the DB Explorer when I didn't have enough for an Asp. Especially pre-Horizons, when one didn't have the option for a SRV yet, and that made the more limited components easier to deal with.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:27 pm

I am super happy with it. To the point, I am currently 500ly out of the bubble. I have set a destination for beagle point. No idea if I will go all the way. But I fell comfortable with the ASP-X to give it a try. Would not have attempted it with the diamondback, or something else.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 am

Samantha Moore wrote:

I am super happy with it. To the point, I am currently 500ly out of the bubble. I have set a destination for beagle point. No idea if I will go all the way. But I fell comfortable with the ASP-X to give it a try. Would not have attempted it with the diamondback, or something else.

I haven't gone out more than 500ly with a Python, and not more than 2,000ly out with the Asp Explorer.
I still haven't really gone coreward at all, all outward.

I had to go way, way down, about 400ly off the plane, to discover new systems.

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:17 am

At the moment, I am looking at Beagle as my my practice run. As it has been done before. I should be able to do it myself, and find stars I can scoop, etc.
If that all goes well. Then I may start looking to go in a different direction. So I can find systems that are undiscovered

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:...I may start looking to go in a different direction. So I can find systems that are undiscovered

A parabolic route to BP that strays anything more than a few hundred ly from a linear route should net you some undiscovered systems, especially if your parabola is not on the galactic plane.

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Gorf wrote:
Samantha Moore wrote:...I may start looking to go in a different direction. So I can find systems that are undiscovered

A parabolic route to BP that strays anything more than a few hundred ly from a linear route should net you some undiscovered systems, especially if your parabola is not on the galactic plane.

saying that, i only went 1000ly, then headed home. and because i went a bit of track. i ended up finding quiet a few first discovery's

Return to “Tips and Tricks”