How To Mine Like A Total Space Pimp

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Sidenti Taalo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Sidenti Taalo
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

How To Mine Like A Total Space Pimp

Postby Sidenti Taalo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:02 am

Simple, really - wear a hat with a huge feather in it while mining.

...what's that? Not the advice you were looking for, you say? Fine, spoilsport. Try these tips instead:

* Limpets are important tools to have. Collector limpets mean you don't have to manually scoop the fruits of your labor, while Prospector limpets will tell you what's inside the rock you're about to bust apart AND will dramatically increase your yield as opposed to mining a non-Prospected spacelump.

* Pristine Metallic rings are your best friends. Not because they contain diamonds, but because they contain the Three Ps - Platinum, Palladium, and Painite.

* Depending on your attention span, you might want to hold off on mining until you have a really big ship - I prefer a Type-7, personally. Mining with a cargo hold that holds less than 100 tons means you're going to be going back and forth a lot to offload.

* Just want to mine an area by yourself, without any NPCs around? Look for rings in uninhabited systems, and avoid using the entrances to Resource Extraction Zones that are marked on your map in populated zones. They will often have quite the NPC population. Also, if you have NPCs on your scanner, boost away from them and keep boosting until they're off your scanner. They'll leave you alone and you can mine in peace. (At least, as of the time of this writing - who knows what future updates hold?)

* Avoid using just one Mining Laser on small hardpoints unless you have autofire capabilities on your controller. Trust me. Your wrist will thank you.

* Don't get cute and try to mine without a shield unless you really enjoy paying repair costs and/or playing Russian Roulette with your ship. Sooner or later, a spacelump is going to hit you. Be prepared.

That's all for now. Did I miss something? Drop it below - knowledge is power! -Sid

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: How To Mine Like A Total Space Pimp

Postby TorTorden » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:23 am

Here I thought you meant something like this: Sneezy
my mining clipper, well I decided the other day to build it, still need to make some more moolah's.

Elizabeth in retrofitted mode has served me for the kaushpoos cg, but I would be making more money trading, but admittedly this is a little more interesting and quite a bit more chill than trading can be.

As for hints.
GET THE BIG REFINERY !

Minding your limpets can be a PITA.
For starters I was perplexed at how short a life span I would get out my collectors.
They should last 12 minutes, but often they died in the first.
I have later come to realize the explanation is simple.
They are stupid.
So stupid in fact that they don't notice how the rocks spin, so often enough a bigger more protruding section of the asteroid spin into their path, and splat goes the limpets.
You can minimize this by studying the spin of the asteroid for a little while, but they often spin on two axis making them a little hard to predict, but you can often minimise the most glaring risks doing this, and get more use out of your limpets.

Prospector controller is bugged, I should be able to have to, but after launching a few limpets it will revert to one, thus every time I launch a prospector I lose the one I launched before.
Only way to get this back, is to power cycle the module.
Power cycling limpet controllers destroys all active limpets.
This get's quite handy since I like having my limpets life span predictable, and if you lose 2 out 3 limpets on your controllers you might as well launch a new batch imo. Or maybe you want dump cargo (dumping cargo with limpets out, will just have them retrieve them no practicall when your cargo hold is full of bertrandite and you just found a triple P rock)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”