Why can't I enjoy the Viper?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Why can't I enjoy the Viper?

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:06 am

Even when I started playing back in January, I could not enjoy the Viper, and I am trying to understand why.

On Paper, it should be fantastic. Decent power, Decent Speed. About as agile as the Cobra. 4 Hardpoints like the Cobra. Great sounding engines.

But I hate it. Its unresponsive to course changes, it accelerates well, but carries to much momentum. It slides all over the place. I just can't make it work. I want to love it, instead I can't stand it. Would rather be in a Sidewinder.
I did an A-Rated with Rails on top and Multis underneath a day ago and hated it. Strip and sold it less than 24 hours later.

I have tried it with Pulses/Multis/rails/beams and nothing impresses me.

I know its not a Stand and Bang ship, and I play it B'n'Z.

So why did I hate it?

Here is what ships I love and why.
Sidewinder: Most Balance performer in the game. Its speed is directly related to its ability to turn on all axis. Best throttle response Up and Down. Gets ignored by most ships
Eagle: Most Agile fun single seater in the game. Not the fastest, but so easy to keep guns on target.
iEagle: Less agile, but Love the sounds and the speed. 3 M Hardpoints is Fabulous.
Cobra: Good agility, stable platform, same Hardpoints. Fast. Basic Multirole ship that can flee if it can't kill.
iCourier: Larger version of the Eagle/iEagle. Takes hits that would burst others. Hits hard enough to do the job. Sounds Awesome.
DBS/DBE: Not enough experience in battles, but I like the way the S moves and its hardpoints are good. the X is more akin to the Cobra but better turning.
Vulture: It's slow but if you get in my range, you are dead. Enough Said.
Python: A flying Gun. Rolls like its namesake but slow overall. More power than you need (My Last build was all Turreted Beams. Almost Easy mode like the Vulture but less work to fly because it didn't matter where you pointed it)

So school me and show me why I should give it another chance and tell me where I am going wrong.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Why can't I enjoy the Viper?

Postby Mouse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:26 am

I had one for maybe a half hour.. it isn't for me..
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Postby Kiltrathi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:10 am

I haven't flown a Viper since December 2014. What I remember is that it used to be very easy to park the Viper over the weak spot of a larger ship and stay there, pounding away with its fixed(!) weaponry. Against smaller ships I had no problem dictating the engagement. Still Sarah Jane has tought her minions quite a few tricks so most of my 'skills' are no longer applicable.

Before switching to fixed weapons, I found the damage output of a gimballed Viper to be insufficient for extended engagements. I was just not good enough to maintain the upper hand for an extended amount of time.

Sidewinder, horrible, can't survive in it, as soon as they get a bearing on it, it's gone.
Viper, excellent short range fighter with fixed weapons, cheap to run, very limited in other roles.
Cobra III, wonderful multi-role vessel, hard points are poor, I needed gimballed to make it work for me.
Asp, wonderful multi-role vessel, exceptional range, can be equipped to do anything moderately well, but does present a huge profile to other ships.
Vulture, an upgrade to the Viper, but does has serious power management issues.
Fer-de-Lance, speedy fighter, short range, had serious heat issues and power management is required.
Python, excellent choice for an all-round vessel, quite expensive, can fit anything you want on it.
Last edited by Kiltrathi on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:11 am

I've just bought one and started playing with it last night - mainly a-rated apart from a few modules to balance the woeful power unit it holds, I'm liking it's ability to get away to a safe distance quickly and it turns very well under boost - 4 multi cannons equipped in mine, and boy it rips an eagle apart in seconds - juries still out for me

I did however get a bug (I think) in raf's möbius where when I fly in to dock and the pad lights up on my scanner for landing - the ship is always facing the wrong way even when a docking computer brought me in it was back to front, I have to rotate towards the letterbox ?? Unless someone can tell me where I'm going wrong :)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:20 pm

evovi wrote:I did however get a bug (I think) in raf's möbius where when I fly in to dock and the pad lights up on my scanner for landing - the ship is always facing the wrong way even when a docking computer brought me in it was back to front, I have to rotate towards the letterbox ?? Unless someone can tell me where I'm going wrong :)

If that continues, and it is the same pad each time, report it as a bug.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:37 pm

evovi wrote:I did however get a bug (I think) in raf's möbius where when I fly in to dock and the pad lights up on my scanner for landing - the ship is always facing the wrong way even when a docking computer brought me in it was back to front, I have to rotate towards the letterbox ?? Unless someone can tell me where I'm going wrong :)

Had that happen to me too with the courier, for some reason it seems the pad doesn't rotate back around when you launch..

As for Loriath and the viper, not every ship is for everyone, and I believe I agree, although the viper was the first ship I was starting to get succesfull at combat in but it like the FDL goes forward real quick, but doesnt stop and you wind up shooting past your target, or having to slow down, making sure your enemy get's that much more time to trounce you.

As for personal toy, my fave is now hands down the imperial courier quick, and fun but got good shields and very nice power plant.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:07 pm

You may be right Tor. I like the iCourier as well. Maybe for my play style the Viper is just not suited to me.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Postby Kiltrathi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:36 pm

TorTorden wrote:
evovi wrote:As for personal toy, my fave is now hands down the imperial courier quick, and fun but got good shields and very nice power plant.

Was curious, so had a quick look on the online build site and indeed a very good ship. The build I came up with is only 12 milion as well. I might have a go at flying one very soon.

For the curious: Missions Courier

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Kiltrathi wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
evovi wrote:As for personal toy, my fave is now hands down the imperial courier quick, and fun but got good shields and very nice power plant.

Was curious, so had a quick look on the online build site and indeed a very good ship. The build I came up with is only 12 milion as well. I might have a go at flying one very soon.

For the curious: Missions Courier

Currently using this, http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cour ... BhrSs4CYyA
Gets a little hot so it's tempting to use the heat sink a bit too often :P
https://youtu.be/XCNkrKgx2mM
Ran into an anaconda last night, granted I had a little help. and B why I cant we have that paintjob available ?
Last edited by TorTorden on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Tor Video is marked Private
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “Tips and Tricks”