Smuggling out of Sothis/Ceos

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Zadkiel
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Gameson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Smuggling out of Sothis/Ceos

Postby Zadkiel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:42 am

Thanks for the Robigo tip, it is faster to load up on missions there, I suspect because there are less players milking it than Sothis.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:38 pm

JohnLuke wrote:I learned a few things.....

1) don't take too many missions! I had 27... yes 27 missions to fulfill. I ended up running out of time and desire to finish about 6-8 of them.

I feel your pain. After reading that, I still collected 30 missions. I got them all with long timers, but still dropped 2 due to long distances. Made 130 million CR, but it took 7 hours. Even with a nap, it was exhausting.

JohnLuke wrote:2) if you hate interdictions, this is not a good smuggling run for you! They come at you fast and hard at every jump.

I think this is related to taking so many missions. I've done like 16, 17, 20, 21, and 30, and the NPCs swarm me. I think with fewer missions it will be more relaxing.

Another very annoying thing is to constantly get interdicted 1.02Mm from my destination! :x I'm thinking that in a smaller ship, I should be able to fly to a station faster and brake harder, rather than using the 6-sec rule like you have to do in larger ships. I haven't flown a Cobra in 10 months, but I think it may be a better ship to avoid these last-second interdictions. It would probably also do better at running away. I think I'm going to try one on my next trip.

I may even have a paint job for it. :lol:

*sp
Last edited by Roger Wilco Jr on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to give this another go.

OrionSnake
Novice
Novice
CMDR: OrionSnake

Postby OrionSnake » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:42 am

Do you guys play in solo or group mode? Just wondering about the stations traffic in group mode.

Thank you all for the tips here. Didn't know about this until CMDR Axle Reese mentioned it to me.

I want to mentioned an interdiction tip that some of you may already know:

Whenever I get a NPC saying they want my stuff when entering a system, I just drop out to normal space before NPC can initiate an interdiction. ( I found that NPC always interdicted me before my FSD complete charging).

By dropping out to normal space right of the bat, the NPC will usually materialized in front of me or beside me. I found that the NPC usually don't get a chance to shoot at me in this scenario (it could also because of my Clipper).

Is Clipper a good option for this run (after adding a 32T fuel tank)?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:25 am

I am wondering what sort of time I need to make a go in this. I only get to play a couple of hours a night during the week, and would like a bit of cash. What can I expect if I only have 2-3 hours to put in?

And what is the best starting point? (Station)
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:23 am

OrionSnake wrote:Do you guys play in solo or group mode? Just wondering about the stations traffic in group mode.
<snipped>
I want to mentioned an interdiction tip that some of you may already know:

Whenever I get a NPC saying they want my stuff when entering a system, I just drop out to normal space before NPC can initiate an interdiction. ( I found that NPC always interdicted me before my FSD complete charging).

By dropping out to normal space right of the bat, the NPC will usually materialized in front of me or beside me. I found that the NPC usually don't get a chance to shoot at me in this scenario (it could also because of my Clipper).

Is Clipper a good option for this run (after adding a 32T fuel tank)?

I play in group or solo. There is some traffic at the stations, but it's not busy enough to be a deterrent to playing in group mode.

I don't know about using your interdiction tip for this scenario. When I load up with 12-15 missions, I'll have 4-5-6 ships in nearly every system attempting to interdict me. If you take the time to drop to normal space to avoid being interdicted, I think you'll be there all day. Don't forget that your destination systems are 250-400ly from your starting point.

I would recommend a ship that uses medium pads. A LOT of the missions use outposts.

Loriath wrote:I am wondering what sort of time I need to make a go in this. I only get to play a couple of hours a night during the week, and would like a bit of cash. What can I expect if I only have 2-3 hours to put in?

And what is the best starting point? (Station)

IMO, (others will vary) 2-3 hour sessions are doable if you only accept a few missions. It takes a while to 'spawn' the desired missions, the interdictions will slow your travel, and you have to land at each destination to complete the mission. I would recommend starting with missions at 3-4 destinations (sometimes you can get multiple missions for the same destination) and see how it goes.

Takurua and Almagest are the closest stations that I know of. I've had the best luck with high paying missions from Robigo. Be sure to do some charity missions to get your rep up, so you have access to better missions.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Oh yeah, the Cobra is the way to go. It was so easy flinging the Cobra around solar systems at full speed. I didn't get interdicted once right before exiting SC at a station. It was nice not having propeller sounds too. :mrgreen:

I took 11 missions with 105T of cargo worth 62 million. I sold all the cargo on the black market, as my Cobra was only kitted for 28T (just used for local deliveries). I wasn't interdicted or bothered on my way back. In fact, I was only interdicted 4 times in total - 2 times with an empty cargo hold and twice when I just boosted away and was never scanned. It was funny listening to the cops scratch their heads when they found my cargo hold was empty. Only had 1 fine when scanned while landing on an outpost, and only for 20k as my hold wasn't completely full of illicit cargo. And I could have avoided that if I just landed faster. That still took me 3.5 hours. It may have gone faster if I didn't have to source my cargo locally, but I'm sure there would have been more interdictions.

Next time I think I'll skip on the measly 4-5 million CR missions, and probably take a few more - ideally with as few different types of cargo as possible. That should be good for 4-5 hours and about 100 million. If you have the time, the less time spent traveling just leads to a higher profit ratio. It's also nice to be allied with the issuing factions, which means taking crappier missions and making donations for a few rounds.

Here's are a couple tips I used to possibly avoid some interdictions by pirates. I usually scoop fuel when stationary, but this time I was full speed whipping around local suns. Then when I'd initiate a jump, I'd maneuver wildly to keep NPCs off my six, then align with the target and instantly start the countdown. This is harder with larger ships - even an Asp.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Loriath wrote:I am wondering what sort of time I need to make a go in this. I only get to play a couple of hours a night during the week, and would like a bit of cash. What can I expect if I only have 2-3 hours to put in?

If you do 5 missions, I'd expect less than 15-20 million for your first few rounds, but up to 35 or more once you get allied.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Ok thanks peeps. Think I will drag the Cobra over to Robigo tonight since the Asp is not kitted for intense running with the sort of Interdictions that seem to be happening. Hell, it doesn't even have guns! Barely C rated.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Zadkiel
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Gameson

Postby Zadkiel » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Looks like the nerf hammer finally hit. Smuggling missions are VERY rare now, and what few I've seen have all been Tycoon/Elite trader rank only.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Just gave this a shot and like rares I don't see a point in them.
I would make more just running regular trades in the same time it takes to wait around for missions to pop up. I must have spent almost two hours just waiting for missions worth taking.

I just hate thumb twiddling when I know just regular boring trading would have netted me almost 30 mil in the time spent waiting and traveling.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”