Exploration tips

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Exploration tips

Postby Gorf » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:08 pm

The first few are "common knowledge".
  • Don't take stuff you don't need - shields, armour, weapons all add to your mass, which reduces your jump range. You might want to start off with these and then sell them at the last station before you leave "the bubble".
  • Apart from the frame shift drive, all the "mandatory" gear should be the smallest D rated component that will fit unless you can fit in a smaller A rated component. There's a button for this on coriolis.io but you usually need to make tweaks manually after you add optional modules.
  • Get the biggest fuel scoop that will fit. It's worth hunting round for this before you set off, don't just accept the largest one that is available at the outfitting station you're at now. Fuel scoops are all zero weight.
  • Try to do without a fuel tank. If you want the safety net, try to make the spare tank as small as possible.
  • Buy the advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner - the first means you don't need to hunt down distant objects using parallax shift, the second earns you more money on the objects you get up close to and (on undiscovered objects) gets you a 50% bonus and your name on the "First discovered by..." label.
  • Buy as many auto field maintenance units as you can. Like the fuel scoop, they do not add to your mass.
  • Prioritise what you bother to scan by how much it's likely to earn you.
Hopefully this list can be expanded by the more experienced explorers out there

The next few are the ones I discovered (pun intended) for myself, and are really only applicable to small-ship explorers. They may also be common knowledge, but I haven't seen them:
  • Turn off your cargo hatch, sensors and power distributor. They aren't needed when exploring and only add to your fuel flow which comes out of your reservoir which is refilled by your main tank.
  • Turn off your AFMUs for the same reason, and also so you can be picky about what you repair.
  • Don't repair anything that you always leave turned off - don't forget that AFMUs need repair too, so if you feel the need for one, you should actually get two.
  • If you're building your ship in coriolis.io or a similar site, disable modules that you will be switching off. It might allow you to go for a lower-spec (so perhaps lighter) power plant.
  • Your fuel reservoir depletes continuously. You might not need to worry about that in a big ship, but in the little ones each segment of the main fuel tank display relates to one refilling of the reservoir. Bear this in mind if you're about to visit somewhere unscoopable and your reserve is low.
  • If you need to step away for a long time but don't want to log off and lose your plotted route, get your supercruise speed below 1Mm/s and drop into normal space. If you turn off every module except life support and the power plant, you use a negligible amount of reservoir fuel.
Good luck out there, fly safe.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Re: Exploration tips

Postby pargyrak » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Nice write up... Here are some ship config examples for ASP

For max jump range but with AFMUs 7 jumps of 34.73ly
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D ... ration-III

Safer configuration with Heat Sinks, Weapons and Shields plus an extra fuel tank of 16T
10 jumps of 32.26ly
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D ... oration-II

Even safer configuration to fly around in the bubble also and to get from one place to another fast without refueling/scooping stops:
20 jumps of 28.12ly
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A4D5A4D ... xploration
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:28 am

I like what you have said there :D Although for me I have an aversion to going into the unknown without proper protection. I would rather loose 3LY per jump then not have shields or weapons. I admit that I carry lower then standard shields and mostly class 1/2 weapons on my 'Conda, but they are enough to discourage small fighters while I spool up for FS :)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Ohio_Snowdog
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ohio_Snowdog

Postby Ohio_Snowdog » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:25 pm

My experience is so far limited to exploring local to the Bubble only, but here are some of mine (some admittedly a bit OCD and few likely any great revelation...)

Solo/General

* Use a reference point for navigation and stick to the scoopable stars (though include the White Dwarfs.)
* When approaching a secondary long-range system, go +/- on the Z-axis to get a good vector for scanning multiple planets. I often shoot for gaps between planets that allow a vantage point for scanning both.
* Hot-key both the Galactic and System maps. So, yeah, this was an 'Aha' moment for me way later than it should have been...
* Asteroids suck. If they are in abundance, I do planet selection in the System map. Otherwise, I find using the Navigation menu to be more efficient.

Wing

* If you run into the Detailed Surface Scanner bug where it ceases to function in the presence of Wing-mates, it seems as though the trick is to wait until all Wing members are present in the system to begin any detailed scanning.
* Appears as though the range for shared DSS data is about 1000 Ls. Has anybody seen any confirmation of that from a more authoritative source?
* Fan out and cover as many systems as possible en route to an agreed focal point. Synch up to scan high-value objects.

Safe Travels!

James Hussar
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: James Hussar

Postby James Hussar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:25 am

Asteroids do suck, and seem worthless in terms of exploration data. I use the filter feature on the nav screen to eliminate them from the list.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”