Abbreviations used in Elite Dangerous

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Abbreviations used in Elite Dangerous

Postby smartroad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:11 am

Like most games there are a lot of abbreviations used, I wanted to have a list I can add to so I look less of a numpty and don't have to ask! I thought I would put it up here to help others out. Most of these I know veterans will know, but may help the new peeps who feel lost in conversations if (like I sometimes feel on other forums!) they don't feel comfortable to ask.

I have included a link to the spreadsheet I am maintaining as it is a little easier to read. I know there are more that I am missing, I'll add on any suggestions to the list. The 'sheet will be updated ahead of this list, especially as the list gets longer ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Abbreviation	Meaning				Description
*Asp Not an abbreviation The Asp is a ship and this is its name
ADS Advanced Discovery Scanner Scanner that can identify all the planets in the current - unexplored - star system
AFK Away From Keyboard Someone who has left the game running but (may) have left their computer unattended
AFMU Auto Field Maintenance Unit Repairs any damaged system - ideal for explorers who aren't able to dock - doesn't repair hull
BDS Basic Discovery Scanner Can detect all unexplored bodies in a system up to 500LS
BGS BackGround Simulation The Background Simulation that handles all the housekeeping, faction states, fines and bounties, Commodities Markets, etc.
BH Bounty Hunt An activity that involves hunting down wanted ships (see KWS)
BH Black Hole A supermassive star that has died and collapsed in on itself - nothing can escape its pull! (high exploration value)
BS Background Simulation See BGS
C X Light Speed Your speed in multiples of the speed of light. 1C = the speed of light, 0.5C = half the speed of light
CQC Close Quarter Combat PvP combat mode to play against other players in a small arena
CS Cargo Scanner A utility mounted scanner to identify the cargo carried by a ship, if any
CZ Combat Zone Area that is used as a battleground for minor factions in civil wars
DBS Diamondback Scout A small combat ship - diamondback is a type of Earth snake - see DBX
DBX Diamondback Explorer A small explorer class ship - see DBS
DDA Design Discussion Archive Archive of the DDF
DDF Design Discussion Forum Early 'Kickstarter era' discussions on the game's design
ED, E:D Elite Dangerous The name of the game :)
ELW Earth Like World Plant with native life and a human breathable atmosphere (high exploration value)
FDL Fer De Lance A medium combat ship - type of Earth snake
FSD Frame Shift Drive The name of the engine that powers faster than light travel in system (Supercruise) and hyperspace between systems
FTL Faster Than Light Moving faster than light can travel - see SC and HS
FWS Frameshift Wake Scanner Used to identify the intended target of a high-powered wake caused by a ship going into hyperspace - utility mounted
GA Great Annihilator A large black hole near the galaxy core
HEW High Energy Wake Wake left behind when a ship jumps between systems
HS Hyperspace Dimension that allows for super fast transit between star system
HSL Heat Sink Launcher This utility mounted upgrade shoots off a super heated block of metal - cooling the ship and confusing heat-seeking missiles
HUD Heads-Up Display The projection of vital information directly onto the canopy glass
HW High Wake A term to indicate jumping out of a system to mitigate mass-lock from ships
IDS Intermediate Discovery Scanner Can detect all unexplored bodies in a system up to 1,000LS
IMHO In My Humble Opinion Informing users that you don't mean offense with what you are about to say
IMHO In My Honest Opinion Letting users know what you have said is honest - in your opinion ;)
KM Kilometer Unit of measurement equal to one thousand meters.
KWS Kill Warrant Scanner A ship module that scans a ship for any bounties that may be on it
LA Local Authority See LAS
LAS Local Authority Ships Law ships flying around stations
LEW Low Energy Wake Wake Left behind when jumping to supercruise
LS Light Second A measurement of distance - how far light travels in one second (299,792 km or 186,282 miles)
LY Light Year A measurement of distance - how far light travels in one year (10 trillion km or 6 trillion miles approx.)
MC Multi-Cannon Multi-barreled projectile weapon
MM Megameter Unit of measurement equal to one million meters. 1MM = 1,000KM
NFZ No Fire Zone An area around a space station where weapons discharges are not allowed
NPC Non-Player Character A computer controlled in-game character
NS Neutron Star A dead massive star, immensely dense but without the mass to become a black hole (high exploration value)
O7 Saluting 7 is an arm saluting, the O is your head.
OoM Order of Mobius A major faction in the Azarel System
PC Player Character A character controlled by a real - honest to goodness human - not SkyNet...
PDT Point Defence Turret A device that sits on a ship's utility mount and helps shoot down incoming missiles
PP Power Play Introduced in version 1.3 - the powers are an additional player influenced layer to the politics in-game
PTT Push To Talk Method to only transmit voice communications when a button is pushed (see VOX)
RES Resource Extraction Site Place where extraction (mining) of materials is happening - normally in rings of a planet.
RL Real Life That world outside of Elite Dangerous...
RNG Random Number Generator Used to decide types of ships in RES, USS, SSS and any other random occurrences
RP RolePlay Getting into character while playing Elite: Dangerous
Sag A* Sagittarius A* The supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy
SAS System Authority Ships Ships that fly around the system protecting it from felons
SB Shield Booster Increase the effect amount of power your shields are about to produce
SC Super Cruise State of travel that allows for rapid transit inside a star system
SCB Shield Cell Bank The SCB stores extra energy to help fast recharge active shields - doesn't work with collapsed shields
SoM Supporters of Mobius Someone who supports the Order of Mobius Faction
SSS Strong Signal Source Strong unknown signal - could be a large convoy or, if you see abandoned gold, a trap - don't go in alone!
T6 Type-6 A small cargo carry ship - see T7 and T9
T7 Type-7 A medium/large cargo carry ship - see T6 and T9
T9 Type-9 A large cargo ship - see T6 and T7
TBH To Be Honest Short way to imply your honesty
TFC Terraformable Candidate A planet which has the potential to be converted into supporting outdoor human life (high exploration value)
TS TeamSpeak A service that allows players to talk to each other using voice
UA Unknown Artifact A rare item that is being sought and a few have experimented with, linked to a wider story arc
USS Unidentified Signal Source A signal that is unknown by the ship's computer - often low level ships in groups or a single large ship
VA Voice Attack Software that enables limited voice control over games
VOX Voice Activated Allows hands free activation of voice transmission when speech (or enough volume) is detected (see PTT)
WSS Weak Signal Source Low level signal that the ship's computer doesn't recognise - often destroyed ships, good for salvage missions
WW Water World Water world have very little/any land mass, normally active water based chemistry and carbon-water life
Last edited by smartroad on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Re: Abbriviations used in Elite Dangerous

Postby de Carabas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 am

Great idea. Please correct the spelling though! Abbreviations!
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 am

de Carabas wrote:Great idea. Please correct the spelling though! Abbreviations!

Noticed it probably as you posted :LOL: Speeling is not my strong point so korrections allways greetfully ricived :D hehe

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 am

smartroad wrote:
de Carabas wrote:Great idea. Please correct the spelling though! Abbreviations!

Noticed it probably as you posted :LOL: Speeling is not my strong point so korrections allways greetfully ricived :D hehe

Shorlee yu meen korekshuns?

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Abbreviations used in Elite Dangerous

Postby clivewil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:35 am

a couple more for you:

MC - Multi-Cannon - Multi-barreled projectile-type weapon.
AFMU - Auto Field Maintenance Unit - Can restore a small percentage of integrity to any module that is completely broken.
HUD - Heads-Up Display - The projection of vital information directly onto the canopy glass
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:54 am

DDF - Design Discussion Forum (early discussions on game design)
DDA - Design Discussion Archive (proposals and discussions on different elements of the game -https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=36 )
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:02 am

Great idea, Lase Mooray! :)

Here's a few to add to the list:

PP = Power play
AFK = away from keyboard
TS = Team Speak
KWS = Kill Warrant Scan
BH = Bounty hunt
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks guys, list update :D

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:29 pm

A few more for you:

PDT = Point Defence Turret
HSL = Heat Sink Launcher
FWS = Frame shift Wake Scanner
CS = Cargo Scanner
SCB = Shield Cell Bank
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:52 pm

wow Andy those are some of the most common ones, how did we miss those? well spotted.

i'm particularly embarrassed for forgetting SCB, seeing as my Vulture got named Scooby for exactly that reason
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Return to “Tips and Tricks”