CG Conflict Zone Etiquette ??

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

CG Conflict Zone Etiquette ??

Postby blazingmaniac » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 am

Not sure where to post this so move if required.

What is the etiquette in combat zones regarding same side players ?
I was fighting in a low intensity zone today, I had joined the instance and seen other players there already so sent wing request, admittedly they might already be in a wing and didn't want to join me.
After playing for a while I was fired upon by an enemy Anaconda so I engaged and destroyed it, being as normally if you are attacking an enemy ship then you are generally the main focus of the ships return attack which I definitely was.

Next thing a local message pops up regarding kill stealing, now I don't know if this was aimed at me, possibly so and if that is the case then I am very sorry and it was not intentional. However my main question is, how are you supposed to know who is attacking what if you are not at least in the same wing ?
Is there any expected behavior regarding who is engaging what because as far as I can tell it is nigh on impossible to work out who is fighting who unless as already mentions you are in a wing together.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: CG Conflict Zone Etiquette ??

Postby de Carabas » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:59 am

I had the same thought in a CZ last night. When it was clear to me that another CMDR was engaging a ship I held fire but there was at least one occasion where a CMDR was attacking a ship that was firing at me and so of course I engaged and finished it off.

I think it's a consequence of being in a war zone that stuff gets chaotic. Personally I would be happy to wing-up to get a share of all the kills and to remove the uncertainty. At least in a war zone there is little point in doing a Kill Warrant scan first, which causes delays and frustration if someone else engages once your scan is complete (I scan first to avoid the situation of blowing the ship up before it completes).
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:25 am

Quite few CMDRs in the CZ at BV Phoenicis this morning, the chaos was very similar to a real battle. No complaints about kill stealing, I think we were all to busy shooting shit :)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 am

I have had a few instances where there have been other commanders in the RES I was in. I made sure to scan them so I can Say hello by name. I also let them (they were winged) know I won't be intentionally stepping on their toes so to speak. Then I move off and take on my own targets. If a large vessel comes in the area, and they are on it already, I leave it alone. And they in turn left me alone when I was on one myself. Yes, there were a couple of times we both jumped on the same target, but it was not intentionally done to take another players kill, it just happened. When things got a little to wild with the amount of spawns, I lowered my sights. We were all in Vultures, but I moved away from them and was content to take down smaller ships and anything large that came in my way. At one point I noticed I was getting some rubber-banding (ships appeared to jump position instead of flying normally) and I messaged them that it was too laggy for me.

I left the area and wished them well. Would rather leave in an instance like that than make a mistake and fire upon them because of lag.
I find most are very polite. I often get chats and offers to team up. Most of the time I decline because I get interrupted a lot by real life and would rather not have that ruin their play time. Sometimes, I get no response, but with a busy RES area, there is a lot of chatter by the NPC's and real players words can be lost quickly. No Big Deal. I follow the same rules. Move away from where they are hunting and if need be, hit another RES zone in the system.

In the Conflict Zones, if there are players on the Other side, I will message them and say hello, and let them know I will not intentionally target them if they do the same. I have had a chance to go up against a couple of commanders in a CZ on the opposite side, and in all instances, had my derriere handed to me quite nicely. They have let me get away after beating me soundly without going for the kill. Its all in good fun. I have thanked them for not killing me. I would do the same to them. You have them down to no shields and low on hull, you are still running shields and not much damage. The victor is clear. Good Fight, thanks, and respect to them for taking the time to spar. If I ever got into it with another commander, and it was close, I would ask if they want to continue. If so, then I would have no problem going to the death. ONLY if they are willing. If they are there to make coin and our little battle is not profiting them, then we can move on. Takes longer to defeat a player than an NPC. Time is Money.

If in the CZ they don't respond, then I avoid them unless I am targeted and fired upon by them. Not everyone uses the Text chat as well, speaks my language, or wants to talk. No Problem. If they are beating me and I turn to run, and they continue, I will do my best to avoid death. If the tables are turned, and they run, I will not pursue. I have proved my point. There is no honour in it to take a Commanders ship/life when that Commander is beaten and retreating.

If the player is on the same team, there are more than enough targets for everyone. Sure, he got the conda this time, I can get the next. Or I can take out the 2 pythons while they are taking on the conda. Maybe I can even help them by taking another ship off their back so they can do the job. If they complain of kill stealing, take it as they are there for the money, want no part of your help and move on. LOTS of targets for everyone.

In the end, it is a game. We spend time to play. The group allows for PVP only in the CZ areas, but even then, I believe it is up to me to be polite about it. Some want absolutely no part of PVP and are in the CZ to make money. I don't want to ruin their game. I don't want mine ruined either. If we are both ok with it, then so be it. If it results in a kill (me or them) then so be it. If they are so set upon making the big kills, let them. You can always pop out and back into a (hopefully) different instance, or go it solo. (Best is to let them have the condas, and you take out 3 clippers, 2 drop ships, and a couple of Pythons while they take down one conda :) )

But if they are being really Dickish, then let them be. No need to deal with that part of it. Make a note, take vid or a screenshot if it's real bad. Report it and move on. It's your game too, and there is no reason to waste time with someone who might really be a dick, or is just be a dick because they are having a bad day, or just doesn't understand.

TL;DR
Have fun, make contact, state your intentions, and play. Move on if things go south. Oh yeah, Have Fun.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

lemurcatta.cz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby lemurcatta.cz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:52 am

To the OP: Was the the message like..."seriously stop the ninja stealing"...or something similar? If so, I saw it.

Yesterday evening was a mess. Bunch of cmdrs in low intensity CZ, only one accepted wing request. Simply not enough targets. In these situations this kind of thing happens - to wing up is the only solution here.

Cmdr Dancinglemur out.

Sent from Tapatalk.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 pm

lemurcatta.cz wrote:To the OP: Was the the message like..."seriously stop the ninja stealing"...or something similar?

Yeah was something like that followed by another message but it was in open comms not direct to me so I don't know even if it was aimed at me, I had just taken an Anaconda down so presumed it might be hence apologizing to the commander directly in game. And this posting on here as well.

Been soloing the CZ since and I will probably stick to that to avoid the issue, like others have said, its crazy busy and I was also getting the rubber banding/teleporting ships as well.

Thanks to everyone that's replied, the advice appreciated and to be fair it's what I thought it would be.

Blazing.. out.

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:00 pm

This is probably something where we can make sure our policy is updated for Wings or somewhere we at least have a statement about it so everyone understands. My take is that if you are in a RES, CZ, or area where you can attack other NPC (and sometimes PC) ships and you attempt to Wing up but others don't want to join you, that is their prerogative (they may be full already). But when that happens, either party should not complain about kill stealing because they more than likely had the opportunity to team up and share the kills.

Personally if I were to get a nice reply on how they can't team up (for whatever reason), then I'd tell them "no problem" and move as far away from their area as possible or go find another RES, CZ or place to hunt, just to be courteous. But if I get no answer, and it doesn't look like they are in a Wing (only other one or two there) and we happen to have the same target, I'd say may the best pilot get paid!
CMDR Emanon

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Loriath wrote:I have had a few instances where there have been other commanders in the RES I was in... ...At one point I noticed I was getting some rubber-banding (ships appeared to jump position instead of flying normally) and I messaged them that it was too laggy for me.

in such a situation i'll normally say hi but leave soon afterwards and go Solo - reason one, i want to get some kills myself but manners means leaving the good ones for the other player, and reason two, like you i don't want my laggy connection ruining my game or anyone else's. this is usually worse in a CZ than a RES for me, due to more CMDRs being present at once in the same area.

at the station it's different, especially after the CG is over and everyone's gathering to collect rewards - it's like being at a party or in a pub, there's lots of faces, some familiar from the forums, some not - and it's good to swap 'war stories' and see how others did. many are happy and discussing the new ship they have their eye on, and how they're going to deck it out, or where they're heading to next. it's a good place to be.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Yep I got accused of kill stealing in the Lugh conflict.....

In the heat of battle I just follow the "Next hostile" and lock on......So I didn't notice the hollows...

Which can be hard to see if the zone is packed......

Now if there are a lot of CMDRS in a CZ I drop into solo to avoid this......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

CMDR DancingLemur
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: DancingLemur

Postby CMDR DancingLemur » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Today evening, it was mayhem in the CZ :D So many of us, not enough NPC targets, so I suggested to start shooting each other. :evil: It was like a hungry dog - plop, plop, plop, six NPC's spawned - pew pew pew...neeeext :lol: I say..if u can shoot and kill, do it, credits will not make themselves u know, no etiquette needed in this situation :P

Anyways, had a great time while winged up with CMDR DarkMoor.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”