Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Soulmirror
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Soulmirror
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby Soulmirror » Tue May 26, 2015 3:27 am

For those bored in the starting area and looking for cash, I found a round trip run close to the starting area (50ly).

Buy Progenator Cells for 6196 cr. in Apala/Wilson City and sell them in Mistae / Sargent Dock for 7143 cr ( 947 profit each )
Buy Gold in Mistae / Sargent Dock for 8154 cr. and sell in Apala / Wilson City for 10056 cr. ( 1302 profit each )

Making 54K a round trip in my Adder.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue May 26, 2015 10:09 am

Problem is, there are lots of different starting points. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Lucasus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lucasus

Postby Lucasus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:54 am

There is a trick that sometimes works if you don't want to overshoot when approaching your target station too fast (timer below 6 seconds, 'Slow down' warning). Basically, try to change your direction towards a planet. Planet's gravity will slow you down and you won't overshoot. Bear in mind that this tactics takes practice and doesn't work if your speed is very high.

BrocMcGregor
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Broc "Badger" McGregor

Postby BrocMcGregor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:35 pm

I've been playing a week now, so I still consider myself new...
BUT

here are some words of advice and encouragement that I've picked up:

1) if you're here, you're in the right place. I can't believe how "popular" I already am. There's never been a time I've gone into the game without at least one person online as well to at last chat with.

2) my experiences anyway - hanging out with veteran players that are patient with noob issues (muting Wing chat, navlocking so I can't FSD, etc) :D that "show you the ropes"
is priceless.

3) for credits: googling "elite dangerous rare trade route"
will get you started into the credits, if advice #2 isn't your thing. Honestly, one can get a Sidewinder D-rated fairly quickly with just missions in Eravate, LHS 3447, and the surrounding short jump area. From there, check out the closest "rares" trade station. Honestly "Thrudd's Elite Dangerous Trading Tool" http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ is the best for that. It's the far right option, "Rares"

Hop there, grab 4T of rares, and then run to another rare station 140LY away. Using Ed-td.space's http://ed-td.space/en/24/Route+planner route planner will get you there. You can also use that to double check stations to pick up fuel at, which in a D-rated Sidey is important.

As soon as you get to that other rare station, and trade in that 4T of rares, I bet you can afford a hauler, and start really rare running with routes like this one:
http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/co ... ng_routes/

4) don't be afraid to ask, don't be afraid of google, reddit, this forum, and others. Searching for things is your greatest ally and teacher. I cannot believe how much I learned thanks to just these two guys on Youtube:
Commander ChaosWulff: https://www.youtube.com/user/KompaniLingeWoT
and
Vornskyr: https://www.youtube.com/user/Vornskyr1

I earned 500K in my first night, going from sidewinder to eagle, just hanging out with UnmarkedBoxcar doing "security patrols" as I've coined them in NAVbeacons and RES sites. Yes, I got ganked in that sidewinder. Yes, I splashed an asteroid or 4... and I swear! That guy was wanted! :D

and then finally, the philosophy I honestly can't put it better than this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=118364

Running rares, can be boring. If it's not your thing, do something else. Games are supposed to be fun, but starting out, when your account has less than 5MIL in assets (like mine still) rares are the best way to make credits per hour. Also, if you feel like it, I'm pretty sure PowerPlay can and does create a nice little "weekly salary." I know quite a few CMDRs now that make a decent living just doing PowerPlay. So if you enjoy combat - sign up for Hudson (Federation) or Arissa Lavigny Duval (Empire) as they're both combat orientated... or don't and just undermine opposing factions irregardless of who you actually back. Just be ready for a fight when you're in a "hostile" system. ;)

Honestly, I've come to learn I really enjoy combat, and I also enjoy the art of flying with FA:OFF. So, running A->B routes in a trader like a T7 or even T9 sounds like a TON of fun, trying to make that mail slot as efficiently as possible. I enjoy mining because it's fun using the asteroids as reference to practice FA:OFF like Isinona:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtD41MRibe4

So spacetrucking itself... I dunno, haven't tried it yet. But as far as SC approach to stations, approach, request, and docking in-stations... that to me is an adrenaline rush every time. So I bet I'll enjoy space trucking.

But I enjoy blowing stuff up on those security patrols with UnmarkedBoxcar as well. I honestly look forward to them every night.

And yes, I have accrued quite a bit of wealth in all of one week, I guess. I don't know honestly. Haven't bothered to check minus my overall amount in the bank vs the cost of my insurance! :D As long as the insurance is 5X less than my bank, I'm good! :D

and most of all, it's a big galaxy, with plenty to explore, truck, trade, dock, crash, kill, plunder, loot, and explode. And often enough, it happens to you, not the other way around. But have fun most of all.

And if you're the social type, or even if you're not, add me. "Broc Badger McGregor" is also my CMDR sign in.

TLDR: I promise I didn't intend this to be so large, but the starting out did intimidate me... until I got that message from UnmarkedBoxcar and just had fun flying around. I think that's the key.
one of ElitePVE's "Turbulent ChildrenTM"

HazCat
Novice
Novice
CMDR: HazCat

Postby HazCat » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:00 am

When planning your ship loadout, use E:D Shipyard to check power consumption, etc. It'll let you play around with what you buy and stay inside your power limits on a simulated vessel - without that dratted warning message just as you deploy hardpoints...
Nullum bonum opus impunita :evil: “No good dead goes unpunished.”

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:05 am

HazCat wrote:When planning your ship loadout, use E:D Shipyard to check power consumption, etc. It'll let you play around with what you buy and stay inside your power limits on a simulated vessel - without that dratted warning message just as you deploy hardpoints...

I would suggest using Coriolis for checking power levels. It has a feature that allows you to turn modules on and off, and set priorities to see what is going to happen when you deploy hardpoints.

http://coriolis.io/
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Postby Mouse » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 am

Loriath wrote:
HazCat wrote:When planning your ship loadout, use E:D Shipyard to check power consumption, etc. It'll let you play around with what you buy and stay inside your power limits on a simulated vessel - without that dratted warning message just as you deploy hardpoints...

I would suggest using Coriolis for checking power levels. It has a feature that allows you to turn modules on and off, and set priorities to see what is going to happen when you deploy hardpoints.

http://coriolis.io/

I concur.. I use Coriolis when Kitting my ships out.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

HazCat
Novice
Novice
CMDR: HazCat

Postby HazCat » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Actually, I have to agree as well - it's also simpler and has a better interface. Thanks!

Key, though, is use a third party tool to play around with your desired outfit. It's a lot simpler to compromise "in the lab" than in combat.
Nullum bonum opus impunita :evil: “No good dead goes unpunished.”

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:00 am

Jace Faolan wrote:Any tips/tricks/information for a new player?

When exploring, watch out for the "mad dots" on your fourth jump (here come two tips for the price of one).
  • When you're near a black hole (or in-system with a neutron star) you get a couple of little mad dancing dots in your canopy. You can use this visual cue to go explore them as they are pretty valuable.
  • When you've done your fourth* jump after exploring a black hole - if you're still seeing the mad dots, there must be another black hole within 100ly
*Assuming you have a properly kitted explorer with a 30+ range.

SleepyFox
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sleepyfox

Postby SleepyFox » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm

This has probably been touched on before in the last five pages. I copied this directly from GeneralSot's review of the game and it has served me EXTREMELY well.

For Mouse and Keyboard users.

- Change the mouse x axis from roll to yaw
- Set Q/E to roll left/right
- Set W/S/A/D to up/down/left/right thrusters
- Set R/F to forward/reverse thrusters
- Set your mouse wheel to control speed; what I mean by this is to click in the 'increase throttle' binding box and roll the mouse wheel up, and do the same with 'decrease throttle' and roll your mouse wheel down.
- Set speed increments to 25%.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”