Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Loriath wrote:
Michael Connally wrote:I recently set up a command for 25% forward throttle. I have found it way more useful than I thought it would be. I use it during fuel scooping sometimes when I'm almost empty. I also use it when taking my time to fit the anaconda through the mail slot. It's also great while using the cargo scoop.

Nice. Do the same for 75% and you will never overshoot a target again. Hit it when you are 6-7 seconds from your target and it will auto adjust your speed so that you don't have to do a "Victory Lap" again unless you are like the rest of the A-Team and are often shooting soo much Bull that you end up doing the "Victory Lap" every second approach.

A 50% button is useful too - it sets the throttle to the optimum position for a turn in any direction. All three are especially useful in CZs and for scanning grouped astronomical items.

Ke-Ven O'Leary
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ke-Ven O'Leary
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Ke-Ven O'Leary » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:46 pm

Ive found Voice Attack VERY useful. You can set it up yourself or buy one of the excelent voice packs like Astra.
Its like having a third hand.
I can say "launch Chaff","reverse Thursters 50%","Throttle 50%","Launch Heatsink","Engage Supercuise" and at NO TIME did my hands leave my controls!

Very nifty

CMDR_Knuffi
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Knuffi

Postby CMDR_Knuffi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:29 pm

I found a very useful strategy for fighting npc especially when they interdict you.
1. Let them interdict, throttle to 0.
2. Four pips on engines, boost away to about 4 km distance.
3. Switch off assistant flight
4. Set thrust to 0.
5.Turn towards the foe. He should be able to slowly decrease the distance to you.
6. Full pips on shields.
7. Scan for warranties when he gets in range.
8. Throttle to full backwards.
9. Flight assistance on.
10. Move pips from shields to weapons and back to fast refill the weapons but mostly take care that your shield have most energy when the npc is attacking.

This way there is no flying across each other with turning over and over again and the npc is some kind of "baffled". I don't know how to explain it better.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

SailodeGrenn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SailodeGrenn

Postby SailodeGrenn » Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Huge tip for doing passenger missions: read the person's file CAREFULLY every time. I made the mistake of thinking that a Rich Tourest couldn't be wanted in certain systems. 9/10 times they're wanted in the destination system. Hence the fact of my week-long bounty in a certain stupid system and my being one keelback lighter in the pockets. Stupid cops. They don't even give you the OPTION to dump the passenger. It's just "oh you're wanted now" and FOG KBAM! One less keelback and a 7 day bounty in that system.

Oh and ALWAYS have a fuel scoop. A good one. Not only do you not want to get stranded and have to bother the incredibly fine folks at FuelRats, but you also don't want to spend 10-15 minutes scooping fuel because you have a 16 ton core fuel tank and a 16 ton optional reserve that are both empty.

Okay fine it was an 8 ton reserve. But it still took 10 minutes to fill with my rubbish 1E fuel scoop! I've since gotten an A class scoop. Yay. Hopefully. Haven't tested it yet, but the store said an 800% improvement in scoop rate. You get what you pay for.

Also invest in hull reinforcement. Biggest one you can buy. Really pays off when you're hauling people and get interdicted. Not that my shields went down. Puny cobra was no match for four pulse turrets. Took forever but I got 23,000CR in bounties ;) in addition to the 300,000 in passenger mission. Side note: always have a KWS. Scan first then light 'em up. If you're a sitting duck then screw it and bail. Boost out and FSD out asap.

Speaking of which, don't bother with the ones that say "show me the universe" until you get a bigger ship than a keelback. Not worth the time. Just deliver folks and data missions if they're going to somewhere nearby or on the way. Also don't be afraid to tell them NO when the Rich CEO wants you to stop and get them food or something when you replaced your cargo bay with a fuel scoop. They should've packed a lunch. I don't think I look like a Taco Bell with feet. Freakin' whatever, rich guy. I've got 2,000CR in the bank and can't afford to buy fuel, let alone your iPad or dumplings or whatever kind of disgusting gruel rich people eat.

(Yes I'm very salty about that. After FOUR times of telling him no, you would be too.)
NSYNC is the only way to combat space madness. And cheese. Never forget the cheese. Or the root beer. -SG, 2017.

RedQueen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Red Queen

Postby RedQueen » Sat May 06, 2017 9:31 pm

I have to disagree with SailodeGrenn. When a passenger makes a demand, do it. You get a bit more money, which isn't worth it for the time, but you get a LOT more influence. Unhappy passengers will give negative influence, and even slightly less than happy passengers give out less influence by a lot.

In 2.2, you could get away with it. They've fixed it in 2.3.
Queen of Hearts image credit: Ithelda @ DeviantArt

SailodeGrenn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SailodeGrenn

Postby SailodeGrenn » Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 am

Fair enough ;) I have come back to the game after a LONG time of not playing it. Still stuff for me to learn :D
NSYNC is the only way to combat space madness. And cheese. Never forget the cheese. Or the root beer. -SG, 2017.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 07, 2017 5:15 am

I really find the demands of some passengers requesting goods to be annoying. If I am transporting them and they ask to be taken to another destination to look at a CZ I always do it, if they want to take in a sight seeing place I always do it, but when they ask for goods I always decline. Maybe I just got unlucky the first time I was asked this request, but I was asked to find some goods. I stopped at 5 (I think) stations and no one had the goods in stock and it was taking ages with no guarantee of finding it at the next place, so in the end I dumped it and have never accepted another one. The ones where you are taking a passenger directly from A to B, and you are just about to enter the station and they make a goods request. I come out with a very audible expletive at that stage. :)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 am

DarkMere wrote: I stopped at 5 (I think) stations and no one had the goods in stock and it was taking ages with no guarantee of finding it at the next place, so in the end I dumped it and have never accepted another one.

Just in case you haven't run across this yet, EDDB has a ton of helpful info. In the situation described above, I'd recommend using EDDB, click on the "trading" button, then 'find commodity'. Plug in what you are looking for as well as your current location and you'll get a ton of results showing stations (and outposts if selected) that had that commodity at the last station update. They will be sorted by distance-closest first). I look for a station that's not too far from the star (2nd column from the right) and had been updated in the last 24 hours or less (3rd column from the right). Make sure that the supply is sufficient, as well.

Then it's simply a matter of flying to that station and picking up what your passenger wants.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Sun May 07, 2017 10:21 am

JohnLuke wrote:Just in case you haven't run across this yet, EDDB has a ton of helpful info. In the situation described above, I'd recommend using EDDB, click on the "trading" button, then 'find commodity'. Plug in what you are looking for as well as your current location and you'll get a ton of results showing stations (and outposts if selected) that had that commodity at the last station update. They will be sorted by distance-closest first). I look for a station that's not too far from the star (2nd column from the right) and had been updated in the last 24 hours or less (3rd column from the right). Make sure that the supply is sufficient, as well.

Then it's simply a matter of flying to that station and picking up what your passenger wants.

This.
ED is the perfect game for having an extra monitor, a pc, or pad beside you.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 07, 2017 11:28 am

Thank you for that JohnLuke, that really is very helpful.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”