Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
rodier
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: HappyFry
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby rodier » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi
thanks for tips :D
im pretty new too, played a little when game was new.. now returning back.

I send request to join Mobius.. is there any system where most people in group are? So I can move and at least sometimes meet someone and not fly trough space alone :)

2nd - how to find if combat q is good for me? is there any ratings on difficulty?

Thanks

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi rodier, check out Azrael, you'll find lots of Commanders around the main station Rafferty's Mobius, which is the home to our own little minor faction The Order of Mobius.

Not sure I quite understand your second question
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:53 pm

I *Think* he means CQC.......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Mad_McAdder
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mad_McAdder

Postby Mad_McAdder » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:When In combat get used to using your thrusters.....They can give you more maneuverability......

Always try and attack at an angle from above or below......This will give you the biggest target...Rather than directly behind or head to head.....ESPECIALLY if you have fixed weapons......

Also learn to use your throttle.......In conjunction with your thrusters to manoeuvre into the best attack position.....

Also with good control of throttle and thrusters you should be able to track your target.....

Giving you more "On target" time to lay down some grief......

With cannons and multi cannons try to get as close as possible........

If you have a plasma accelerator....Have the barrel of it touching the target...... :lol:

Only J/k with that....But I could not hit a cows arse with a banjo when I used one....

Manage your systems......swapping between System...Engines and weapons as required.....

I think the general consensus amongst combat commanders is forget the Rail Gun......

And final point...Don't be afraid to run if it goes pear shaped......
Thumbs up from me on the last line! :D
Live long and Prosper..... ;)

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:25 am

Here is something I discovered recently while staring at the controls configuration panels. The "Z" key is a default bind for reverse. Ok so what right, we all use the S key to slow down and if held down we go into reverse. Ok so what happens when you want to go forward again? You have to press W which reverses the reverse thrust and then accelerates. All common sense, right? Ok now consider the Z key. You are accelerating with lets say half throttle forward, you press and hold the Z and you instantly enter reverse and when you let up on the Z you instantly pop back into forward thrust.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:57 am

Black Rose wrote:Here is something I discovered recently while staring at the controls configuration panels. The "Z" key is a default bind for reverse. Ok so what right, we all use the S key to slow down and if held down we go into reverse. Ok so what happens when you want to go forward again? You have to press W which reverses the reverse thrust and then accelerates. All common sense, right? Ok now consider the Z key. You are accelerating with lets say half throttle forward, you press and hold the Z and you instantly enter reverse and when you let up on the Z you instantly pop back into forward thrust.

I've mentioned this in other posts, but I use reverse thrust all the time when in combat, pretty much for the entire battle, unless my prey is running.

I started doing this after a Clipper did it to me, and was counter-circling my every move. It was like he was glued to my 12 o'clock, and it was scary. Since I was driving an Asp at the time, I didn't fare well taking the full force of his guns without respite.

What this usually does for me is keep smaller and more maneuverable targets in front of me to give my KWS and guns time to do their work. Also, I doubt this would be nearly as effective against a human pilot, but NPCs tend to just head at you nearly full-throttle, even if that means whizzing past you and coming around a lot. If I were the smaller ship, I would probably do the same thing, utilizing the whizzing past as a way to get out of someone's guns. When I do the reverse thrust, they just keep going as if they think they must complete that maneuver before trying something else, and they can't. Since I have the bigger guns most of the time, I win. I do not attempt this in my python vs. an Anaconda though. They will win. Also, be careful with this if you get interdicted really close to a star.

Maybe this is what you're already getting at (or something more complex, and possibly better), but I wanted to point this out, in case you were just talking about landing controls or something.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:46 am

I use the Z key in combat sometimes and yes when I dock. I press and hold the Z key and use the A or D key at the same time which make my ship do like a reverse strafe for when the target goes into one of its "Stop dead and spin with all gun blazing" routines.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Black Rose wrote:Here is something I discovered recently while staring at the controls configuration panels. The "Z" key is a default bind for reverse. Ok so what right, we all use the S key to slow down and if held down we go into reverse. Ok so what happens when you want to go forward again? You have to press W which reverses the reverse thrust and then accelerates. All common sense, right? Ok now consider the Z key. You are accelerating with lets say half throttle forward, you press and hold the Z and you instantly enter reverse and when you let up on the Z you instantly pop back into forward thrust.

I'm not at my computer but I thought Z was flight assist? Which I've remapped to my head look button, and in combat I press it and boost then pivot round on my axis and face my hostile - if it's a big ship you do it on, be careful as you're directly facing it's big guns

But what your saying about reverse that works differently to a hotas when I press my reverse

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:26 pm

evovi wrote:
I'm not at my computer but I thought Z was flight assist? Which I've remapped to my head look button, and in combat I press it and boost then pivot round on my axis and face my hostile - if it's a big ship you do it on, be careful as you're directly facing it's big guns

But what your saying about reverse that works differently to a hotas when I press my reverse

As I said above, definitely not a tactic for dealing with bigger ships. It tends to make the ship build the determining factor in who wins, which is usually a good thing for me. Usually.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Some tips I have discovered since I started to play, which is about 2 months now :)

1. Space stations always face a planet so that is where the door is. So when you approach try to come on on the same plane as the stations orbital ring and steer in so you are between the station and the planet.

2. If you have trouble locating the door, target the station and you will see arrows on the holo of the station pointing at the side the opening is on.

3. Fuel Scooping is a new skill set for me so and tips in this regard would be helpful :) When I 1st arrive in a system I wait for count of 1/1000, 2/1000 then start a slow climb over the sun. If you look the sun has a ring around it in the form of an orange line. I've come to know that inside this line you will hit the sun or planet and outside this line you are good. So climb above the sun with that line just below your field of view and make a slow run across the top. Unssually as you start your climb your fuel scoop will deploy and will hit 125% + before you reach the apex. Keep your ship level and just fly away at normal cruise speed. If you are running on an "economical" flight path your tanks will top off at every sun. I ran from HIP 16607 to TUN and back which is over 44 jumps and used 32 credits of fuel.

4. Fixed weapons while making targeting a nightmare for new players actually do more damage than any gimbaled weapon. I find that on a small mount the preferred choice is a beam, medium mount a burst and large mount a pulse. This has been my experience thus far, I am not saying this is optimal, only that it seems to work for me.

5. When you get inside the station on docking, look at your targeting reticle. The position of the white dot tells you where the docking bay is. I almost always get docking bay 1 which is right inside the entrance and straight down, usually. Sometimes I have to pivot as its above me...a real pain in the butt.

6. Scooping cargo is hard for me most of the time so my solution is this. Install a collector limpet controller and carry some drones. When you see cargo floating about or its a mission thing, motor over to where the canisters are, open your cargo scoop and send out 1 drone. The drone will mindlessly collect everything it can until it expires and you can sit and eat your lunch :)

7. Selling illegal goods. If you are like me and get spooked trying to get past scanners at a station, then go to any system that is operated by a pirate faction. My system of choice is the Harm system and the Gentile station. Yes it has a black market and there are no cops anywhere and even if you do get scanned they don't care what you are carrying. A friend of mine and I were sitting outside that station just outside the no fire zone and we scanned NPC freighters coming and going. We found a type 9 loaded with 200 tons of gold. We attacked the transport and got his shields down then hit him with a hatch breaker and all they gold came tumbling out! We scooped and sold it right there and kept coming out collecting and docking to sell at the black market. We made about 460,000 cr each and it was fun :)

Return to “Tips and Tricks”