Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Jace Faolan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Jace Faolan
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby Jace Faolan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:51 pm

Awesome! thanks for all the good advice everybody! It's almost getting to be that time when I will be able to use all this advice ;) so ready to start playing, it's been awhile since I've had a space sim get me this hyped

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Use your basic discovery scanner. When you enter a system and you don't have any data on it, point yourself at the sun and select it and let the scanner do its thing. Then when you get close to a planet, do it again. As you scan things (select when close & wait) they will start to appear on your sensors and will start filling out the system map. When you get 20 light years away you can sell the data to Universal Cartographics. When you are first starting out, that can be a nice little bonus.

If you are going to be trading in the same area for a while, sell the basic discover scanner for more cargo capacity. Buy it back before heading out to greener pastures. Now that I've got the credits, I always put an advanced discovery scanner in all my ships so I can fully discover unknown systems as soon as I enter them.

As for the throttle, I prefer the full range throttle with a dead zone in the middle. Just push it forward to go forward, pull it back to go backwards (or minimum in SC), and center to stop.

If you use the debug camera in a station, make sure you center your throttle before launching or you may find yourself zipping toward the blast shield or a hanger.

To avoid crashes, keep to the side of the station entrance/exit with the green lights. The NPCs now follow the rules so you can even squeeze past a T9, but watch out for CMDRs that boost out wherever the eff they want (they've got shields - damn the noobs in their Sideys).

If you have a joystick and are finding it hard to have fine control, like when landing, and it seems like you can't stop moving, you may need to program in some dead zones in your controller setup.

If you want to make credits fast, always add/upgrade cargo racks when you can afford them, and also upgrade to larger cargo capacity ships asap. Don't save your old ships. Once the credits start rolling in, you can rebuy and store all the ships you want. Also, once you know how to fly, you can trade in your shields for more cargo capacity - just run from pirates and slow down entering stations ...

When entering stations, look at your nav compass. The white dot will point you toward your landing pad. This is useful for the close pads that you sometimes can't see if they are below you. When the dot is centered you should be pointing directly at the center of your landing pad.

When entering super cruise, I make it a mini game by throttling back after the countdown reaches zero. That way it feels like my moving the throttle engages the FSD (and no crashing into suns if you aren't paying attention, which I've done, but haven't died doing).
It's time to give this another go.

Vegas
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Vegas North

Postby Vegas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Just started ED and wanted to thank you all for the tips!

ironside31
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Duke Shadowstorm

Postby ironside31 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:30 pm

I rebound my boost button after boosting myself into a new sidewinder while docking.

CrazedHatter
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CrazedHatter

Postby CrazedHatter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm

When you get to the point where you're upgrading your ship, make certain to pay close attention to power usage - it is okay to go over 100% usage, recognizing that you can manage power settings on ships. (It is essential on some, frankly) You can change the priority of powering modules in the module tab on the right hand screen of your hud - set things like the cargo hatch, frameshift drive, fuel scoops and discovery scanners to a lower priority so that when you deploy your weapons those are the first modules shut down - you won't be able to use them when fighting anyhow!

Be liberal with any discovery scanners you have, every system you don't have data for is basically free credits, maybe not a LOT of 'em, but every little bit helps early, and even later on when you've got the advanced scanner, if you're hitting it as you go you're basically making free money, I always keep one attached no matter what I may be doing.

If you plan to explore, a couple key tips to keep in mind - you'll get the best potential discoveries planet wise in systems with F, G, and K class stars, and when you first scan the system and can access the system map, the coloring of the planets can give a hint as to value. Blue are especially good to find.

Early on, IMHO, the best way to make money is to do small courier and transport missions - they're low risk but in many cases you can do several at once and you'll get to a point where you have enough money to start outfitting quickly, plus you'll gain reputations. Once you have enough to be able to buy better commodities trading becomes more viable. (Others will likely disagree, feel free to go your own way with this)
Count and Commander CrazedHatter, Imperial Explorer and Bounty Hunter
Owner/Operator - Imperial Clipper Ship "Queen of Hearts"

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:...point yourself at the sun and select it and let the scanner do its thing. Then when you get close to a planet, do it again...

What! doh :lol: :cry: I've been play since launch and I thought that was just the DSS, I had assumed (incorrectly) that the discovery scanner just found stuff, I didn't realise it added data if you do the point and select thing. Fortunately it's only been a short while since I just had a discovery scanner and no DSS, but even so - bugger :P

Just goes to show, there's always stuff to discover in ED (if you'll excuse the pun :D )
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Mikey D
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Mikey D

Postby Mikey D » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:41 am

Scoopable stars are (in order of stellar classification), O B A F G K M. Astronomers sometimes use a mnemonic which might be helpful here.

Oh be a fine girl kiss me!!

Ameena
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Ameena

Postby Ameena » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:38 am

Based on the order I read that list on some other website somewhere (I think I was looking up star types to see which letters are a white dwarf star so I know which systems to avoid), my mnemonic is "A Big Fat Goblin Killed My Ocelot", not that I have any plans to try fuel scooping any time soon ;).

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:52 am

Another is KGB FOAM.

Personally, I prefer to be kissed. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:40 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:When entering stations, look at your nav compass. The white dot will point you toward your landing pad. This is useful for the close pads that you sometimes can't see if they are below you. When the dot is centered you should be pointing directly at the center of your landing pad.

Man.... do I feel stupid! I've been playing ED for a few months and didn't know this tip. :roll:

Thanks Commander!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “Tips and Tricks”