Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 am

DarkMere wrote:Thank you for that JohnLuke, that really is very helpful.

Glad to help. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

SailodeGrenn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SailodeGrenn
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby SailodeGrenn » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am

I second this. I was transporting a rich tourest that wanted some consumer electronics. I searched 7 stations with no luck. Finally I'd had it and with some rainbow colored words I googled it. I found that database and lo & behold at the very next station over they had it.

That site made me 60,000 CR in addition to the multimillion I was getting for the job itself.
NSYNC is the only way to combat space madness. And cheese. Never forget the cheese. Or the root beer. -SG, 2017.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon May 08, 2017 11:06 am

JohnLuke wrote:They will be sorted by distance-closest first). I look for a station that's not too far from the star (2nd column from the right) and had been updated in the last 24 hours or less (3rd column from the right).

Time for the usual plea: EDDB depends on getting data about available goods and their price from in-game commanders. If you are playing on PC, please install Elite: Dangerous Market Connector (EDMC), configure the companion API to download information about the station, and to upload that information into EDDN/EDDB. Once you have set it up, EMDC runs silently in the background and sends updates every time you dock.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 pm

My two contributions for brand new players:

Interdictions:
Do not be worried about interdictions. Not only is it easy to escape them by submitting to them, and then boosting away and re-engaging FSD, but it has been my experience that you are not placing your ship at risk to engage the enemy ship, (making sure its wanted before you fire) as long as you quickly decide if the fight is going well or not. If you decide its not going your way, then take a direction directly away from the enemy ship and boost away and re-engage FSD. Almost every time I have lost a ship it has been due to staying too long and allowing the ship to start taking too much damage. Of course this will not work against a human foe, but then we are talking about none pvp here.
(I would like some commanders with more experience than I to confirm that this advice is sound before new players take it on board)

Lastly:
Probably the very best advice I can give is never think twice about asking questions on the forum. I wish I had asked questions on forums more often when I started it would have saved me a lot of grief. Nothing you ask will be regarded as a time waster and there is a wealth of knowledge and help here.

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow

Postby sean_crow » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm

DarkMere wrote:Lastly:
Probably the very best advice I can give is never think twice about asking questions on the forum. I wish I had asked questions on forums more often when I started it would have saved me a lot of grief. Nothing you ask will be regarded as a time waster and there is a wealth of knowledge and help here.

Ok, now you mentioned it :mrgreen:

First: Great tips! I will look back in as soon as I can log in :)

I wonder if the databases like eddb will also work for console players.
I can't really imagine that the different systems (pc/xbox/ps4) do share the same data.
Is there some information about it from xbox users?

I really needed an abbreviation list.
Super cruise (SC) was easy. I had to google CZ for conflict zone as well as KWS for kill warrant scanner.
Finally I found that post. So I'm not alone. :)
viewtopic.php?t=2859

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:14 pm

sean_crow wrote:1.
I wonder if the databases like eddb will also work for console players.
I can't really imagine that the different systems (pc/xbox/ps4) do share the same data.
Is there some information about it from xbox users?

All three platforms share the same background sim, so yeah it should work

EDIT: PS4 willwhen it come out, cant do yet as it doesn't exist :D

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Any website-based tool for elite works with consoles, unless it depends upon a direct upload.

Mads Hansen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Shapeshpere

Postby Mads Hansen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 am

Hello every one - im just a new space cadet nd i need some simple easy 1st time missions, how can i see the difficulty of a mission in the bulletin board? :?: im just looking for some nice easy pick up and fly missions(not dockfigthing) but cargo missions will be fine. where do i start?
I have played the training missions a dozen times an think i got the hang of it(mouse and keyboard) but any way, thanks for guiddence -
Best of luck - Mads Hansen aka. Shapeshpere -Denmark

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 am

Mads Hansen wrote:Hello every one - im just a new space cadet nd i need some simple easy 1st time missions, how can i see the difficulty of a mission in the bulletin board? :?: im just looking for some nice easy pick up and fly missions(not dockfigthing) but cargo missions will be fine. where do i start?
I have played the training missions a dozen times an think i got the hang of it(mouse and keyboard) but any way, thanks for guiddence -

In my opinion, the easiest missions are ones to deliver commodity X to another station. Since you're just getting started, pick missions that are to systems that are close by (preferably 10ly away or less). You can take missions from any of the minor factions listed on the Mission Board. If you accept one mission that fills your cargo hold (quite likely in the early stages of the game) you won't be able to take any other 'delivery' missions until you complete the one that you accepted. Go run that mission, come back to your current home station, and run another one.

I'd probably run delivery missions for bit then when you're feeling comfortable, try taking on some 'fetch' missions.

"Fetch" missions are easy as well. (Usually a faction will say "find me X number of tons of Y commodity). You want to be careful with these initially, since the commodity needed may be a little ways away and you may not have a fuel scoop yet. I don't want you running out of fuel out there and having to call the Fuel Rats! Anyway.... if you see some 'fetch' missions and have enough cargo space to accommodate it, check this website. It's a fantastic resource for many, many things. On the page I linked you to, just enter the commodity needed in the top box, and your current system in the bottom box. Hit 'find stations' and you'll get a ton of results.

A few tips..... look at the column with the little clock. That'll tell you when that station's info was last updated. Supplies change,so you want to head to a station that's been updated in the last day or so. Then look at the far right column with the bulls eye. That's the distance from your current system. Make sure that you can reach it. If you enter the system name in your galaxy map, route it, and it shows you a solid line then you're good to go. If you get dashed lines in part of the route then you'll need a fuel scoop and learn how to use it to scoop along the way. If the map won't route it at all, then your jump range is too low. You'll need to save up for a higher grade Frame Shift Drive before traveling that far. Last tip on finding commodities.... look at the 2nd column from the right side, the icon looks like a sheet with a bunch of dots on it. That's the station's distance from the star. Closer is better, just for traveling time. Avoid ones that are more than a few thousand light seconds out.

Now you can combine fetch and delivery missions, so that you're making money taking stuff from your station and bringing things back on a single run. :)

From there you can experiment with other mission types. Google is your friend in this game and you can learn a lot by reading about other peoples mistakes or methods on completing certain mission types.

Try new things, and enjoy the game! :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

DarkMere wrote:Do not be worried about interdictions. Not only is it easy to escape them by submitting to them, and then boosting away and re-engaging FSD

Disagree. I have never submitted to one, and have always gotten away, 100% of the time. Its really boring now when they try.
Like EvE, everyone is in a hurry to get into the biggest ship they can not afford to be in.
Take your time, choose ships with good turn ratings not the biggest tub you can buy.
The sidewinder, Cobra III, Vulture, and even the fat AspX all turn better than most, Fast thrusters, and
a light ship will out turn most if not all of the NPCs boats.
I carry 4 mine racks in my AspX, just for the time when I get dropped out of SC. Aint happened yet, so I use them to keep the rats off me bum when Im mining. Im even known to slow down and let them catch up so my mines can light up the blackness of space.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”