Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Aurynn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Aurynn
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby Aurynn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am

Hello. New member here. :-)
Nice tips here. I thought I might add few of mine.

If you are bored slowing in SC when approaching stations, remember that planets that these stations orbit are huge gravity wells. I usually go full throttle all the way up to the point that the planet and the station orbit is very clearly visible, then set the throttle marker into the blue zone and do a close pass of the planet from the far side than where the station is. You will see your speed decreasing rapidly after a second or so after the pass as the gravity pulls on the ship. As soon as this starts happening make an U-turn towards the station. It will settle you very close to the station with both markers close to the blue zones. This takes some practise and differs from ship to ship and from FSD drive to FSD drive, but it does save a lot of time. :-)

Fuelscooping - follow the advice listed before, BUT I recommend putting your rear towards the star. The reason is that any interdictor has to go behind you for the interdiction to work. Which will get him too close to the star and force him out of SC. So no-interdiction happening. :-) It also provides you with faster escape should you get too hot while scooping. Works best if you are close enough to get the scoop's maximum capacity. Being further from the star does leave proportionate window for the interdictor.

Fly safe

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:04 am

Aurynn wrote:Hello. New member here. :-)
Nice tips here. I thought I might add few of mine.

If you are bored slowing in SC when approaching stations, remember that planets that these stations orbit are huge gravity wells. I usually go full throttle all the way up to the point that the planet and the station orbit is very clearly visible, then set the throttle marker into the blue zone and do a close pass of the planet from the far side than where the station is. You will see your speed decreasing rapidly after a second or so after the pass as the gravity pulls on the ship. As soon as this starts happening make an U-turn towards the station. It will settle you very close to the station with both markers close to the blue zones. This takes some practise and differs from ship to ship and from FSD drive to FSD drive, but it does save a lot of time. :-)

Fuelscooping - follow the advice listed before, BUT I recommend putting your rear towards the star. The reason is that any interdictor has to go behind you for the interdiction to work. Which will get him too close to the star and force him out of SC. So no-interdiction happening. :-) It also provides you with faster escape should you get too hot while scooping. Works best if you are close enough to get the scoop's maximum capacity. Being further from the star does leave proportionate window for the interdictor.

Fly safe

What I do and it is easier IMO
- Approach your target level and dead on at full speed.

- Watch the time to destination.

- As soon as you get to 10 secs out, throttle down to 75% ( left arrow is my hot key for that and set up in controls )

- The slot on the station always faces the planet and the station is always tilted with the opening at a down angle.
- Position your ship so you are between the planet and the station, pointed at it level and straight to about 10 Mm.

- At 10 Mm tilt you nose down so the station starts to rise above you, then nose up, and follow the station movement up until the target circle is in the center of the target sight.

- When you drop out of cruise you should a little to the sides or dead on to the slot.

- Set 4 pips in engines and jockey around to point at the slot if you didn't come out right on ( I hit it dead on about 4/10 )

- The trick here is NOT to roll to match the station. The trick is to get lined up and slow down so the station rolls into position to you.

- I nose down and swoop up, cutting my speed to 50% ( down arrow hot key ) at about 3km.

- If you are level and not lined up, you can angle in and use your rudder to turn into the slot. Drop your speed to 25% ( right arrow hot key ) until you get comfortable.

- Once in the slot, looks at your target sight. Your docking bay will be the circle. Solid if its in front of your and hollow if its behind. This is how you find your bay if you can't see it because its right below you, above or to the sides.

- Slow down to 25% power or even stop X key.

- Roll to get the circle at the 6 o'clock position on your target. ( if the circle is hollow, tap the Z key, its a default reverse key that reverts you back the speed or stop prior to pressing it, so you can back up slow and easy )

- Now what you want is to have that solid circle way down into the bottom of the circle at 6 o'clock to be lined up over the landing magnet.

You can actually dock just like the docking computer does it after awhile :)

But to be fair I'd still approach like you were landing a plane. Go slow and don't panic.

I was petrified about landing. I used a docking computer for weeks and then my friend told me that he would shoot me down every time he saw me with that thing lol. I removed it and the 1st time I docked it tool me 9 minutes and 40 sec! Now after landing more than a thousand times I can get down and into the station screen in about 30 seconds and I can beat the police scan 9/10 times :)

Aurynn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Aurynn

Postby Aurynn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:11 am

I should have said that I am currently training for my smuggling career ;-), so spending too much time in SC around the station with my back towards the system's arrival point is not a good idea. So my advice is perhaps more suited to people who want to approach the station at 30c+ and slow down to 3c within few seconds, while ending up within 5Ls of the station.

As for the docking itself, your way can seem a little intimidating at first (lots of steps), but I do recommend it. I use parts of it when I shoot through the mailslot of the station at 300+ to avoid any scans. :-D

As for docking computer - I used it too for my rares runs. CBA to dock myself. :-D. Drop from SC, boost towards station, set throttle to 0, request docking, coffee time.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:47 am

ImageAnother New Player tip:
If you run out of fuel, may it be at Saggitarius A*, right in front of your favourite LHS 3447's station or down in nowhere, don't hesitate to call the Fuel Rats; we are even out here in Mobius. We are quick, reliable and don't cost you anything (except some nice words of gratitude maybe). And some of us may even be cute ...

► Show Spoiler

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:02 am

Black Rose wrote:
What I do and it is easier IMO
- Approach your target level and dead on at full speed.

- Watch the time to destination.

- As soon as you get to 10 secs out, throttle down to 75% ( left arrow is my hot key for that and set up in controls )

Like Black Rose, I have a button set to 75% throttle. But, I hit that button at 7 seconds out, and sometimes push it to just 6 seconds out. It seems to save a bit of time on approach.

Also, Vindicator Jones has a nice video here on station alignment.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Aurynn wrote:I should have said that I am currently training for my smuggling career ;-), so spending too much time in SC around the station with my back towards the system's arrival point is not a good idea. So my advice is perhaps more suited to people who want to approach the station at 30c+ and slow down to 3c within few seconds, while ending up within 5Ls of the station.

As for the docking itself, your way can seem a little intimidating at first (lots of steps), but I do recommend it. I use parts of it when I shoot through the mailslot of the station at 300+ to avoid any scans. :-D

As for docking computer - I used it too for my rares runs. CBA to dock myself. :-D. Drop from SC, boost towards station, set throttle to 0, request docking, coffee time.

LOL Yes True. I sometimes have people tell to me "STFU" as I tend to get very detailed. Its not easy for me to convey instinct into words so it does get a bit long winded :P

The steps that I use have been refined over the months and the nearly 1000 hours logged according to Steam!

Re: the approach speed. The norm is 6 sec as JohnLuke states and the time frame is 10 sec ( conservative ) down to 6 sec (Ideal) I chose the 10 sec mark because eye hand coordination on most people in our age bracket is a bit off and when I see the 10 pop up its 9 by the time I actually touch the key and if you are in the 'blank stare" mode after a 460,000 light trip to the station, waiting for the 6 sec mark and not reacting makes you miss.

Now, if you have missed, I find that going into a downward loop lands you right back at the station at the exact location you were at, at the split second you realized you messed up :P For some reason an upward loop doesn't do that and I can't explain it.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Look through the various control options as there are some quite usefull features hidden in there that you can bind to keys:
- thrust forward/backward allows for more fine-grained control during landing than forward/reverse throttle
- "target next system on route" saves you from having to go to the left UI panel and scroll through the navigation tab until you find the next jump
- "cycle frameshift to supercruise" allows jumping into SC even if the destination target is obscured, or you need to face a different direction than that of your target (escape into SC after interdiction, escape vector from sun/planet)
- If your are NOT using a mouse to fly, enabling "mouse widget" will give you a yellow marker in the exact middle of your screen, usefull for aiming at the mail slot and other stuff. It will not show up on screenshots
- the speed settings have already been mentioned...
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

DelayedReaction
Novice
Novice
CMDR: DelayedReaction

Postby DelayedReaction » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Cometborne wrote:Look through the various control options as there are some quite usefull features hidden in there that you can bind to keys:
- thrust forward/backward allows for more fine-grained control during landing than forward/reverse throttle

you can also set alternative keys for when the landing gear is activated so that forward/reverse thrust become active when the landing gear is out... this is quite handy!

DelayedReaction
Novice
Novice
CMDR: DelayedReaction

Postby DelayedReaction » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Schmobius wrote:That last one bothers me, as at least in America, the rule of thumb on the waterways is "Red Right Returning", meaning the red lights should be on your right as you are coming inland from the ocean or other large bodies of water like the Great Lakes. I would assume it's the same in the UK, and FDev just put the lights that way because they think green is the side you should fly on, but maybe I'm wrong.

When I first started playing I assumed the red meant "Port" (I play a lot of flight-naval sims and there's an old saying "There's no RED PORT LEFT" to help you work out what way other traffic is flying etc) meaning that the green should be on your right and the red should be on your left... had a few run-ins with other ships until I read something on the frontier forums

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:35 am

Schmobius wrote:That last one bothers me, as at least in America, the rule of thumb on the waterways is "Red Right Returning", meaning the red lights should be on your right as you are coming inland from the ocean or other large bodies of water like the Great Lakes. I would assume it's the same in the UK, and FDev just put the lights that way because they think green is the side you should fly on, but maybe I'm wrong.

That would only be accurate in this case if the Starport was indeed a port, but is in fact, a Vessel. A Starport is more akin to an Aircraft carrier. It is a Vessel that moves in space. Yes, for the most part, they move in space in orbit of another body, but they can be moved under their own power (Jacques Station comes to mind).

So if you think of the stations as an actual vessel, the RRR rule is null.

DelayedReaction wrote:When I first started playing I assumed the red meant "Port" (I play a lot of flight-naval sims and there's an old saying "There's no RED PORT LEFT" to help you work out what way other traffic is flying etc) meaning that the green should be on your right and the red should be on your left... had a few run-ins with other ships until I read something on the frontier forums

It makes sense if you think of a vessel as I stated above. Red to Port, Green to Starboard.

Makes perfect sense if you keep in mind that it is a Station that is in fact a Vessel.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”