Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:56 am

sean_crow wrote:...

You could try logging into the base game (32 bit) instead of Horizons, to see if it'll put you back in your ship.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby sean_crow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm

JohnLuke wrote:
sean_crow wrote:...

You could try logging into the base game (32 bit) instead of Horizons, to see if it'll put you back in your ship.

Thanks JL!
I'm not sure if that is possible on the PS4 :)
I will have a look.

Checking the web it says that you will directly end up in the repair screen. :)

sean_crow
Competent
Competent

Postby sean_crow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:06 pm

TorTorden wrote:This sounds to be working as intended yes.
Those big ass turrets next to these bases that you mention will rip anything but a heavy combat ship to pieces.
But lack the ability to target SRV's.

So you can either spend a minute or two blowing it up with the teeny gun on the srv, or just drive a few km's away before calling the ship back.

With these bases I tend to land at least a 1km away from the area, and drive antother 4-5km away from it to recall the ship.

That sounds like an explanation for what happened.
I will be more careful next time.

Thank you, Tor!

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 pm

sean_crow wrote:Unfortunately the terminal was protected by some kind of drones. I shot them and got a 8 minute bounty.

The skimmers are usually wanted, so you should have received a bounty voucher, not a bounty. Did you wait for the basic scan on them to complete before you opened fire?

Then I tried to log out and in again to see if there is any change.

What happens if you attempt to recover to orbit? That is, quit to desktop, and then use Elite Dangerous (64 bit) in the launcher, instead of Elite Dangerous Horizons? It will give you a message that you last save point is on a planet, that this computer cannot render terrain, and then offers "abort load" and "recover to orbit".

You have a very slim chance that this will magically restore your AspX. But if you have the choice between "no chance" and "very slim chance" ...

I don't really see that I had a chance to leave the planet while under fire. The best would have been to wait until the bounty is gone.

The golden rule for the planetary scan missions is quite simple: Land outside the no-trespassing zone, deploy the SRV, dismiss your ship, and only then start with the mission. Before opening fire on the skimmers and/or turrets, select each of them while NOT in turret view and wait until the basic scan has finished and you get the information about their shields and their wanted status. The same applies to any NPC ships that are landed nearby or are circling the base. Before scanning the data point, check if it is public or private, and if you need to be inside a "no trespassing" zone to scan it.

You can complete a scan mission without getting a bounty or being fired upon if the data point is public and you do not have to be inside a "no trespassing" to scan it. This can sometimes be achieved by careful manoeuvring. In these case, both the turrets and the skimmers will ignore you.

If you have to scan a private data point or violate the no trespassing zone, it is better to commit just this one offence with its 10 minute bounty timer and run away. If you commit further crimes like destroying skimmers or turrets, the timer on the bounty will climb to a day or even a week.

And if worst comes to worst, let them kill you in your SRV. You will automatically respawn in orbit in your ship. You do not loose exploration data or bounty vouchers if you are killed in your SRV, the mission does not fail, and restocking a SRV is much cheaper than the rebuy on a ship.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 pm

A valid complaint for surface scan missions has been that they have been a bit easy.
Especially when they can pay up to 3 or so million each.
So I believe since last patch they have added some more data scan poi's to the mix with a bit more teeth.
They used to be utterly undefended and public points.

These have skimmers, one to two small turrets and a large anti ship turret.
The skimmers and turrets are usually wanted but I have often also seen that the data beacon itself is marked as private.

There is simply no way to finish these missions without incurring a small 8 minute bounty.
And that anti ship turret can be nasty, it does equivalent damage as a higher ranked npc conda would.
So if it starts engaging a mostly exploration fitted Aspx. It won't take long before things go very very bad.

As I mentioned earlier, just spend five minutes driving a few km away after kicking the hornets nest and you are all good.
And your bounty timer is half up already.

They pretty much stop engaging at the 2km mark.
But sometimes you can get unlucky and your ship lands almost a full kilometre from you back towards the base and you can guess what happens.
So to be safe I aim for another kilometre or two of cushion before calling the ship back.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

sean_crow
Competent
Competent

Postby sean_crow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Ok, Thank you all for suggestions and aftermath.
Wouldn't learn so much out of it alone.

I didn't find a way to start the game without horizons on PS4.

So I crashed the SRV and got a feeling how rough I can ride in the future. They are quite tough.

Lost exploration data and bounty claims but the mission remained.

About 1,7 mio rebuy and the mission was 1,8 mio.
So still a win.

Next time I know how to handle such missions.

Thx
sean_crow

sean_crow
Competent
Competent

Postby sean_crow » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Part 2
How should I solve this?

Again planetary missions. I thought I have been careful. I dismissed my ship and drove to that data point.
I shot the skimmers after they appeared wanted. I destroyed the wanted turrets.
But this time, there were 2 imperial Vultures circling nearby.
I don't know exactly what triggered it but I think it was the scan: I got wanted status and the ships came after me shooting at me from time to time.
Some of the scan missions were war missions.

Anyway, I drove the SRV as fast as I could, crashed into rocks or jumped to high and slowly lost shields and hull.
I went to turret view and tried to shoot the Vulture ;)
At the end the SRV exploded after a wicked Evil Knievel jump.
Suddenly I was in my ship and got shot down from the Vultures within seconds :D

Okay, I was lucky that I took the cheaper Cobra this time.
But what would have been the solution?
Shooting at the Vultures was no help. Maybe it made things worst and that's why I got shot back in my ship.
I didn't see a way to get the data scan in another way.
So maybe, getting away in the SRV would be the trick?
When would the Vultures stop shooting at me? How long would the follow me?
Would it be all good when I drove more carefully over "the next county border"?

Sorry to bother you again with such thing. :)

Cheers
sean_crow

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Honestly.
FD utterly broke base assaults by adding security ships to operate in surface areas.

Also those cop bastards seem to run some super sensors who can magically target srv's.
How exactly are we supposed to outrun or outmanouver a viper with aimbot railguns that can hit you from 3 km off?
Obvious answer is your not.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:12 pm

TorTorden wrote:Honestly.
FD utterly broke base assaults by adding security ships to operate in surface areas.

Also those cop bastards seem to run some super sensors who can magically target srv's.
How exactly are we supposed to outrun or outmanouver a viper with aimbot railguns that can hit you from 3 km off?
Obvious answer is your not.

I've never done a Base assault. Don't think I've even ever seen one. Are they completely broken and not worth doing then?
Always wanted to try one.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Yep....

I had one chase me halfway around the ruddy planet.. Well probably not..... But seemed like it......

A good 15 - 20 mins bobbing and a weaving.......

Great fun......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Tips and Tricks”