Slow Down

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Slow Down

Postby tinnitus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:20 pm

For the last two days I am receiving the "Slow Down" supercrusie message and fail to understand what is occurring to cause this warning beyond obviously going to fast. The message occurs approximately 12000ls into a 92500ls contraband mission run the message stops broadcasting near 90000ls. The usual celestial objects are present but I should not be effected by planets gravity well causing the FSD to maintain current acceleration. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this gravity well slow down?
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

jrad
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: j'rad

Re: Slow Down

Postby jrad » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm still new to the game, but I believe these messages are generated whenever you fly close to a significant mass. So if you fly too close by a planet or body in-system (but are simply traveling beyond it to some other point), you will see that message get generated. Maybe others with greater time in-game will chime in here...

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:59 pm

The frame shift drive is effectful up to a certain speed in relation to the mass in the close area.

Hence closer you are to a massive object, or series of objects the slower you can effectively cruise.
The "slow down", is basically a message to let you know you are going to too fast for the FSD to be effectful in regards to the mass in the area.
This means it will be slower to decrease or increase velocity and thus you woosh past whatever you where trying to do because your drive is unable to slow you down.
It is state you are in, not a warning or something happening to you.

To avoid this, to for example drop safely at a station\outpost, whatever, set throttle to 75% when near 6 seconds to destination.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Tor is right in that you get this message when approaching your target, but you also get it when apparently nowhere near any large mass. Under these circumstances check the System Map for any asteroid belt you may be passing through.
In the first case it's an instruction to reduce speed, in the second it's a status report on your situation.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm

As always this site members provide useful information helpful in problem solving. A re-calibration of the controllers specifically the throttle appears to have solved the problem thanks to a post on reddit/Elite Dangerous. Thanks again.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:21 pm

To deduce "controller issue" from your first post is like that guy who calls support, claiming he can't read his emails.

And after a lot of teeth pulling for info, solution was due to the fact he prints his emails on paper, and his printer was out of toner.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:06 pm

TorTorden wrote:To deduce "controller issue" from your first post is like that guy who calls support, claiming he can't read his emails.

And after a lot of teeth pulling for info, solution was due to the fact he prints his emails on paper, and his printer was out of toner.

no, did that really happen? pls say it ain't so.

Yeah your right I do feel silly about not checking the basic first step, sorry about that commanders. I did use the validate game files in options before the post all good there. Anyway nothing worked because it is back again worse really now occurring shortly after I clear the star. Happy that I can still play because that would be fookin bad. May as well create a support ticket hopefully FDEV is answering these in a reasonable time frame.
Image]

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 pm

Indeed it has, only thing more fun than printers are their users.
What controllers are you using ?

If it's a throttle issue then it could be in your throttle itself. can you tell if the throttle has a lot of noise on it and causes the ingame indicator to jump around ?

This can develop on all potentiometer based controllers as they age from dirt, loose wires etc.
Ideally use included software if at all possible, some sticks really do not like the windows calibration tool.
Or in a pinch try https://gamepad-tester.com

One theory would be that some noise has been introduced to the throttle axis, my CH pro-throttle had loads of it, if you also use a keybind for 75%, like many of us do, the noise on an axis can be enough to reset the games throttle position to the the axis setting and if that is max, you will overspeed.

Last time I checked FDEV's respsonse time was, minimum 72 hours.
As a last ditch test, would be to un-bind the throttle axis.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:10 pm

TorTorden wrote:Indeed it has, only thing more fun than printers are their users.
What controllers are you using ?

If it's a throttle issue then it could be in your throttle itself. can you tell if the throttle has a lot of noise on it and causes the ingame indicator to jump around ?

This can develop on all potentiometer based controllers as they age from dirt, loose wires etc.
Ideally use included software if at all possible, some sticks really do not like the windows calibration tool.
Or in a pinch try https://gamepad-tester.com

One theory would be that some noise has been introduced to the throttle axis, my CH pro-throttle had loads of it, if you also use a keybind for 75%, like many of us do, the noise on an axis can be enough to reset the games throttle position to the the axis setting and if that is max, you will overspeed.

Last time I checked FDEV's respsonse time was, minimum 72 hours.
As a last ditch test, would be to un-bind the throttle axis.

Bingo, Bingo, as soon as I read your un-bind the throttle suggestion I knew that that has to be it and it is it. Game is working great. I removed the binding file, disconnected the controller, and restarted Win 10 then the game without controllers it loaded no problem then quit to desktop poped the file back in bingo all good thank-you sir.

To answer your question Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Throttle and Stick.

Thanks eh!
Image]

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 am

Hmm..

The warthog is using hall sensors and, and not pots, it shouldn't have this noise issue.
It also really shouldn't need any form of calibration.

That really should be dead stable.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”