Are the large ships worth it aside from putting a tick in the achievements box?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Are the large ships worth it aside from putting a tick in the achievements box?

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:44 pm

After engineers, there are many great alternatives to a conda.

Personaly I find the conda an absolute pig to fly, and I am bored out of my mind with the Asp-x, so I am using a Clipper for epxloration \ long distance jumper.

It get's a range of 50Ly with a guardian booster.

The conda, honestly I don't get why people still insist on using a conda, but pretty much anything can get 50+ range with engineering and a booster.

You really don't need a big ship to do exploration, plenty of people have been running around the galaxy in nothing but a Sidewinder.

That said, as an why not for exploration, you can get an Orca upto 65ly range now with a 6a scoop.

As an explorer you actually do more exploration with less range.
Yeah, you can technically go from a-b with less jumps, but are we talking exploration, or neutron boosting your way to Colonia ?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Re: Are the large ships worth it aside from putting a tick in the achievements box?

Postby raorn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am

Conda was my biggest disappointment back in the days. Huge and heavy, with maneuverability of a brick...

But she has the 80+ lys jump range with full engineering and a booster. For me one jump takes about one minute (with biggest possible fuel scoop you can refuel while flying around the star to next waypoint), so 100 jumps vs. 120 jumps do count.

While Conda can be compared to a brick, Cutter is a huge concrete block. She has fastest (of all "big" ships) boost speed and can fit 720t cargo. I use her for mining and cargo runs, she's like T-9 but with bigger fuel tank.

As of Vette... Well, you can boost shields to 11k and go all-turreted, but it's just not fun.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am

And my corvette fields fixed guns, and move as a slightly big Krait mk2.

Don't blame the ship cause you suck.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm

TorTorden wrote:And my corvette fields fixed guns, and move as a slightly big Krait mk2.

Don't blame the ship cause you suck.
Vette is still too big and too slow to be half as fun as Krait, or Chieftain, or FDL...

Oh, and you suck more.

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler

Postby SockFiddler » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Look. Raorn and Tor are having a major suck-off.

Awesome.
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 am

:D Move over and pass me the peanuts.. :lol:
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

dapprman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DAPPRMAN
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby dapprman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:13 am

Should I be charging for tickets?
BTW Dudley by name, or Dudley by location near Wolverhampton (where I went for many a lecture and tutorial during my years at the local polytechnic (now Uni)

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Norwin Palmer
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Norwin Palmer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 pm

dapprman wrote:Should I be charging for tickets?

Yes I think so, it is a very interesting thread, there is a similar one on the Reddit VTMB but it isn't getting the interesting input as this one is.

Scott Peck in The Road Less Traveled mentions the importance of becoming an expert in at least one thing in life. Without experience a person lacks vocabulary and facility to have a meaningful discussion with someone with expert or beyond experience. The problem being that the ignorant person isn't aware that no communication is going on and the expert is aware but usually has no way to communicate anything meaningful to the ignorant person, I'm not exactly sure why though.

I think Scott Peck's idea is that if a person experiences the depths in one subject it may trigger them to think "hey if there are unlimited depths in one subject maybe there are in others too". Personally I'm not sure about the validity of that idea... but in theory it seems reasonable.

As a game designer (if I am one), I do have a plan for how I expect the game to be played. But if it is a single player game and people find ways to glitch or cut corners in ways that I did not intend I do support that they should be able to do that as long as it doesn't make the game become unplayable. By support I mean I'm not going to try and patch those glitches or shortcuts out, but I'm also sad that people would want to use them and I don't rejoice in their "success".

On the flip side, if a person finds a clever way to play the game that I had not intended and it is within the intended game mechanics I do rejoice in their "success".

Dudley
Master
Master

Postby Dudley » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Big ships = Bleh.......

Never see me in one.......

I don't need a penis/twat extension.......

:D

I say dear chap how's the new penis extension going?

Mine, sort of, well, fell orft.. :(

Anyhoo, your round?? :D :D

Mind me scrotum.. :o

o7 Dawg

Dudley
Master
Master

Postby Dudley » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Norwin Palmer wrote:
Yes I think so, it is a very interesting thread, there is a similar one on the Reddit VTMB but it isn't getting the interesting input as this one is.

Scott Peck in The Road Less Traveled mentions the importance of becoming an expert in at least one thing in life. Without experience a person lacks vocabulary and facility to have a meaningful discussion with someone with expert or beyond experience. The problem being that the ignorant person isn't aware that no communication is going on and the expert is aware but usually has no way to communicate anything meaningful to the ignorant person, I'm not exactly sure why though.

I think Scott Peck's idea is that if a person experiences the depths in one subject it may trigger them to think "hey if there are unlimited depths in one subject maybe there are in others too". Personally I'm not sure about the validity of that idea... but in theory it seems reasonable.

As a game designer (if I am one), I do have a plan for how I expect the game to be played. But if it is a single player game and people find ways to glitch or cut corners in ways that I did not intend I do support that they should be able to do that as long as it doesn't make the game become unplayable. By support I mean I'm not going to try and patch those glitches or shortcuts out, but I'm also sad that people would want to use them and I don't rejoice in their "success".

On the flip side, if a person finds a clever way to play the game that I had not intended and it is within the intended game mechanics I do rejoice in their "success".

G'day CMDR Palmer sir..

That's all very well but, more importantly.. Have you seen my boot on your travels.. It appears to have gone missing again.. sigh :(

Return to “Tips and Tricks”