Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Elite:Dangerous Passenger Mission Helper

Postby raorn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 am

There are lots and lots of Passenger Mission Guides everywhere and I'm not going to write just another one. Instead, I made simple tool that helps you find those "The Two" systems without clicking the hell out of EDDB. Included README explains the process a bit, feel free to ask questions and if you think you can improve something - pull requests are most welcome ;-)

https://github.com/raorn/EliteDangerous

P.S. And I also made a copy of Reddit thread about combat outfitting. Check out the docs/ foder.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Elite:Dangerous Passenger Mission Helper

Postby TorTorden » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am

Here's a helpfull tip.

Don't do passenger missions.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

TorTorden wrote:Here's a helpfull tip.

Tor.... My Hero LOL

Seriously if it does what you say and works for all the Buss Drivers out there, More power to you Raorn.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

raorn
Competent
Competent

Postby raorn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Even better tip: don't play videogames in general.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 pm

raorn wrote:

Even better tip: don't play videogames in general.

Now that's just crazy talk.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:25 pm

raorn wrote:There are lots and lots of Passenger Mission Guides everywhere and I'm not going to write just another one. Instead, I made simple tool that helps you find those "The Two" systems without clicking the hell out of EDDB. Included README explains the process a bit, feel free to ask questions and if you think you can improve something - pull requests are most welcome ;-)

https://github.com/raorn/EliteDangerous

P.S. And I also made a copy of Reddit thread about combat outfitting. Check out the docs/ foder.

Ok, I just need to rebuild the db to check the faction stuff, but without that, the output from my patch currently looks like this:

► Show Spoiler

As you can see, Nornari may be an even better system for Medb, with a mission pool of 7 (Vs Kamuy's 8 and Parutis' 9)
Nornari also has 7 factions and according to https://eddb.io/system/factions/14726 3 of those can be boosted with exploration data.
The Nornari source station is a mere 14 Ls out from the star too, so faster turnarounds, not that it matters much.

For runs out to Smeaton, LHS 538 is likely a better system with 7 factions and 9 in the pool Vs 6 factions and 11 pool for Upsilon Aquarii.

Dea Motrona has potential too (higher arrival distance than Medb, but only 1 destination) if you don't mind planetary landings, but it's not matched by the tool at the moment.

Now. it's possible that since the mission pool isn't the only source of missions (because of VIPs going where ever the hell they want etc), the pool may not even be much of a factor. It's hard to say one way or the other without doing some kind of statistical analysis (nope).

I'm not sure why my indentation is being clobbered by the board. Here's a pastebin link with indentation:
https://pastebin.com/s2dse4Ed

Realistically, this is probably a crap hack. I've had to learn about ruby, sequel and sql a bit so you may want to implement these changes yourself, if you are interested in them. I'll sort out a patch when I've checked that the faction additions to the db are working though and then it's up to you. :)

Edit: the other issue is that if you have a lower system pool but a higher overall number of stations across those systems, the effective pool may end up being larger. My SQL fu is not strong though so I'll have to investigate that after some wax on - wax off.

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 pm

I just did a quick check on eddb. Kamuy has 20 L pad stations within range. Nornari has 23. So on the face of it, Nornari may be less effective than Kamuy since it's station pool is larger even though it's system pool is smaller. Even if planetary destinations are somehow weighted differently (they seem to be selected as mission targets less frequently), Kamuy still comes out on top with 8 orbitals in range vs 10 for Nornari.

Won't be repping Nornari in a hurry then.

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am

Here's the patch as it stands now:
https://pastebin.com/4vjLffWz

If it's useful, great (I grant you copyright and don't care about credit so either bang it in one way or another or not) and if it's not useful then no problem.

You will need to rebuild the db (which for some reason takes over 2 hours on my laptop. And it's not taxing the CPU or the disk so I'm not sure why).

I'd like to enumerate the source stations as well as systems and perhaps make the selection of planetary stations optional (I'm happy to run pax to a planet, but not source from one since board flips take a lot longer planet side for me) but I might play the game a bit more for a while first.

/tiphat

raorn
Competent
Competent

Postby raorn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Deal wrote:Realistically, this is probably a crap hack. I've had to learn about ruby, sequel and sql a bit so you may want to implement these changes yourself, if you are interested in them. I'll sort out a patch when I've checked that the faction additions to the db are working though and then it's up to you. :)

Woah! This is really awesome. Seriously. I will take your patch with minor changes (don't like the formatting). If you wish to be rich and famous, PM me your name and email (whatever you want to be displayed in commit history), I'll put it in the Author commit field.

I was already thinking about counting factions. I also wanted to count Federal/Imperial factions, so you can make money while ranking up, but this requires importing of faction data, and more cross-references in database, and finally place some indexes, and script output will turn into bloodu mess, and this, and that. So, plain numbers is a good start. "Source pool size" is another good idea, didn't think about it.

I have returned from vacation, almost fixed that 36 Whatever system problem. Github repo will be updated soon, when I refactor target selection code.

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:54 am

raorn wrote: I will take your patch with minor changes (don't like the formatting).

That's fighting talk!
raorn wrote:If you wish to be rich and famous, PM me your name and email (whatever you want to be displayed in commit history), I'll put it in the Author commit field.

No need. Just apply and commit (or whatever you prefer) :)
raorn wrote:I was already thinking about counting factions. I also wanted to count Federal/Imperial factions, so you can make money while ranking up, but this requires importing of faction data, and more cross-references in database, and finally place some indexes, and script output will turn into bloodu mess, and this, and that. So, plain numbers is a good start.

Yep. I guess that you reach a point of diminishing returns. Since you can dramatically narrow down the target list with the script, it's not so much work to check EDDB or some such after that. I mean, I made a mistake with the column type for the faction count initially and had to wait over 2 hours to check the potential fix because it takes so long to import. Then I took one look at the size of the minor faction json on EDDB and decided not to try that. (which isn't to say that you shouldn't do it).
raorn wrote:"Source pool size" is another good idea, didn't think about it.

I think the relevance of the source system pool Vs the source station pool depends on how FDev have implemented mission selection on the server side. If they enumerate all viable stations in one pass, weight them by some means then choose one, then the station pool is more important.
Alternatively, if they enumerate destination systems first, then choose one and match stations from that system afterwards, the system pool is all we need to care about. I suspect that the latter is a more efficient in terms of load, so that's probably what they do.
raorn wrote:I have returned from vacation, almost fixed that 36 Whatever system problem. Github repo will be updated soon, when I refactor target selection code.

Hope you enjoyed your time away, and I'm glad someone understands that code block because I still don't :?.

I just ran the neutron highway to 5000Ly out for palin, which was actually quite enjoyable (as was self-destructing my jumpconda at 5000Ly out) but now I need some Sensor Fragments so I'm gonna grab those next. Just prior to that I rolled about 20x G5 FSDs mods spread across almost as many drives and got some decent results (all 40+ opt mass) and most over 47. Ofc, fate is a cruel mistress and both 51 opt mass rolls were on bloody 4A drives. Figures.

If you post back here when you have updated the target selection I'll be sure to check out the ruined formatting improvements. :D

/tiphat

Return to “Tools and Helpers”