Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Voice Attack and Role Panel (plus)

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Have they fixed this yet so it acts in a consistent manner?

I'm not sure what the inconsistencies are/were, but I do remember a lot of bitching about it.

On a related note, did they ever add a command to "home" the UI panels - or do you still need to keep track of key presses and keeping panels homed yourself?

I've never messed with macros or other advanced VA commands, but I want to start taking more advantage of the program.

Thanks.

(or maybe I should just buy a voice pack)
Last edited by Roger Wilco Jr on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to give this another go.

Ethan Harris
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ethan Harris

Re: Voice Attach and Role Panel (plus)

Postby Ethan Harris » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:18 pm

It depends on from when you're dating it. Things have changed from April 2016, when HCS explained that they could not get any information consistently out of the game so had to do a lot of guessing. There's now better support that HCS has taken advantage of. But it's still apparently not 100%. I haven't noticed problems except if I shift out of the game while an action is proceeding or forget to re-focus the game before using a command—which is definitely better than early 2016, when simply using headlook at the wrong time could confuse it.

So if "yet" is from more than three or four months ago, then they may have—try it. They aren't that expensive, and resetting them the few times they get confused isn't difficult.

I like them quite a bit, though I've been playing some on PS4 lately so have been re-discovering how to do things manually and have ended up rebinding some things on PC that I was using voice pack commands for. In VR especially, my setup was not fully playable before without Voice Attack. Now it is.

But I can't tell if your question is whether HCS voice packs have improved to where they're more usable (assuming you had a line that placed them in the "unusable" category due to this behavior at some time recently), or if the game's direct support for the easiest ways to do the things you mention (i.e., having commands that don't depend on prior game state) has improved—meaning you can make your own little VA macros to replicate HCS behavior.

The answer to that, if you mean "can you do this yourself easily without doing under-the-covers programming"—no. The things FD has exposed recently are in the form of streamed output about in-game state that other services can subscribe to, not in the form of new commands that can be bound so that you don't have to know about game state at all. (The game is starting to get too many different modes for "a single unambiguous binding for every possible in-game action" to be a viable path anymore, and it definitely won't scale up if they add to Season 3 some of the features we've heard of.)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Re: Voice Attach and Role Panel (plus)

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Ethan Harris wrote:It depends on from when you're dating it.

That's the rub, lol. Things keep changing, I don't keep track of it, and most everything online is out of date.

Thanks for the update. :)
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Tools and Helpers”