Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Discord seems to be eavesdropping on users

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:47 am

Samoth wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:
Wolf wrote:Many apps behave like that.

Skype does. When you 'X' 'close' it, it just minimises to the task bar. Right click and chose 'Close' and it stays open. Have to go to Task manager and end task. Or Uninstall it like I did.

Practically every single app that uses a microphone for communication does this in its default setting.

Teamspeak doesn't. Neither does Voice Attack. But I think on the whole you're right as I've noticed this behaviour on other people's PC's.
"Wibble"

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:01 am

Wolf wrote:When you click the X it minimizes to the notification bar. There you can right click and really quit the program.
This is not special for Discord. Many apps behave like that.

This.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:04 am

Avago-Earo wrote:
Samoth wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:
Skype does. When you 'X' 'close' it, it just minimises to the task bar. Right click and chose 'Close' and it stays open. Have to go to Task manager and end task. Or Uninstall it like I did.

Practically every single app that uses a microphone for communication does this in its default setting.

Teamspeak doesn't. Neither does Voice Attack. But I think on the whole you're right as I've noticed this behaviour on other people's PC's.

Teamspeak also behaves like software written in the 90's in nearly every other way as well. Using discord with the explorers I'm on the Crab Nebula Expedition with has been effortless.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks for the hint with the task bar. Have to look for that very small icon. While Discord is only one more way of communication, and we sort of start drowning in all the possibilities there, it has it's advantages, absolutely.
And by the way, only because "nearly everyone does it" (which I seriously do doubt) does not mean that it is proper behaviour, which it isn't. Maybe for some, developers worked hard to make such behaviour seem just "normal" or even "required". Also, this is not just about distrusting a company, but having your mice unwillingly live in the background might also render interesting results in your accidentially unmuted Discord groups. And then there is pointless additional processor/RAM load etc.
It is not naive to ask that programs should not, and technically don't need to, patronize users as per default. Leaving your door wide open just because you trusted someone else with one of your keys for a fixed amount of time is not that a bright idea. Just saying.

Anyway, trust Discord as much as you like and enjoy, while others who don't should just as easily be able to kill the process. Everyone should be able to have it their own way.

Chalkie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Chalkie

Postby Chalkie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:27 am

Sorry to resurrect but it's not madly old, and I have investigated both applications (Discord and Skype) and will present here my findings...

For reference/completeness(1)...
The taskbar is the strip along the bottom of the screen(2) with icons on it.
The System Tray is over on the right of the taskbar, and may include a "Hidden Icons" button which looks a bit like this [^] (but without the brackets)
The system tray also has icons in it, and they are typically smaller than taskbar icons.

Anyhow, most windows apps close when you hit the red [X] top-right. some don't e.g. Skype which instead just closes it's visible window(3). (not the same as ending the app). You can right-click the taskbar icon (or the system tray icon) and select "Quit Skype", but it still doesn't go. Instead you are asked "Sure you want to quit Skype?" with options of "Quit" or "Cancel", with "Cancel" pre-selected as the default button. If you press "Quit" it finally really goes.

Discord is similar, but not the same. when you hit the red [X] top-right, it closes it's visible window but it also removes it's taskbar icon, so it looks more like it has closed. (It hasn't). It does leave the system tray icon, from which you can right-click and select "Quit Discord" and then it does actually close.

Neither Skype not Discord have an option to fully close when you hit the [X] (that I have found, anyway). Skype always shows in the system tray (like Discord), and does have an option to be only in the system tray (i.e. not on the taskbar) when you close the visible window. This is under Tools...Options...Advanced..."Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in."

With both Skype and Discord you don't have to press the [X] first. They both fully close when you simply right-click the icon in the system tray and select Quit (except that Skype asks if you're really sure). With skype you can do the same from the taskbar (so long as the taskbar icon is enabled, see above). Discord has a similar-looking option in it's taskbar icon - "X Close window" but it's not the same as a quit, it's the same as pressing [X] top-right, i.e. doesn't actually close the application.

Alt+F4
======
This is where it gets (mildly) interesting. The key combination Alt+F4 is another method for informing a Windows application that you would like it to close. Skype treats this the same as pressing [X] (as I expected) but Discord acts differently!

IN DISCORD, ALT+F4 CLOSES THE APPLICATION IMMEDIATELY.(4)

(1) Most people know this stuff, but some don't, or don't know the names.
You do, so I apologise for spelling this out.

(2) Yes, I know you can have your taskbar in different locations, but for most people it's along the bottom.
Even Microsoft refer to "bottom left" when describing the "Start" button.
And yes, if your taskbar is on the left or right then the system tray isn't on the right, its at the bottom.

(3) As a programmer myself, this annoys me, and is against the original Style Guide (so far as I recall).

(4) Sorry for shouting, but this is the bit people will want to know. The rest is tl;dr

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:40 am

Chalkie wrote:Alt+F4
======
This is where it gets (mildly) interesting. The key combination Alt+F4 is another method for informing a Windows application that you would like it to close. Skype treats this the same as pressing [X] (as I expected) but Discord acts differently!

IN DISCORD, ALT+F4 CLOSES THE APPLICATION IMMEDIATELY.

While this looks like either Skype or Discord is not playing by the rules, both are conforming to the information Microsoft gives here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/126449

Windows system key combinations
• ALT+F4: Quit program

General keyboard-only commands
• ALT+F4: Closes the current window

It's not surprising there's confusion.

Bonsaipanda
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Bonsaipanda

Postby Bonsaipanda » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:56 am

AJH wrote:I've yet to figure out how Discord actually plans to make money.

When you are not paying for a product, You are the product.
ImageImage

Return to “Tools and Helpers”