Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

ED Toolbox

Postby Digga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Anyone who likes to play around with 3rd-party ED Apps... you might want to check out ED Toolbox

I just installed it, was able to connect to my EDSM account, it's connected to other API like EDDB and also connects to the ED API.
I got it to load my flight history and search for Azrael, which worked perfectly, clicking on Azrael gave me this...

Elite_Dangerous.jpg
Elite_Dangerous.jpg (245.31 KiB) Viewed 4057 times

Not done more with it yet, but I think this one is a keeper!

Digga out.

Kallegan
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Kallegan

Re: ED Toolbox

Postby Kallegan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:42 pm

This looks very very very niiice!! :D Thank you for sharing!

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:28 pm

It mostly just displays statistics and such, right? Just wondering what it can do that inara and eddb can't?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Since it runs locally I expect it is more self driven. As in it already has access to log files etc and can update itself as you go.
No need to upload network logs etc.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Digga
Competent
Competent

Postby Digga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Schmobius wrote:It mostly just displays statistics and such, right? Just wondering what it can do that inara and eddb can't?

You can do anything with it, it is designed to grant users the ability to add tables in the db, that then automatically show up in the front end, an example of this might be to track prospecting...
but i expect most people will use it for the fact it knows your location and automatically updates things like bookmarks, points of interest, ship availability, module availability, system info, nearby mining systems and more.

some might use it for the captains log or the systems log {integrates with edsm}

It's difficult for me to say as im far from the bubble, so most of the features are of no use right now, i am using the bookmarking system to add DW waypoints and it great the way it orders and shows distances etc.

Another feature of interest to some will be the interaction with voice attack and the level of system details it will read (think voice packs actually worthwhile only this one is free}, it will even filter and read galnet news that is new...

I have used various online tools and feel this is far better despite the fact its very new, its fast, intuitive and looks good.
Try it and found out for yourself.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:17 am

So does it track locations via netlog, or directly from API?

That is mostly important as it would only be a "now, going forward" thing for me, instead of tracking everywhere I've been over the last 6+ months.

Digga
Competent
Competent

Postby Digga » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:50 am

Locations are tracked through the log, by default its a now going forward thing... loading history is an option

Xariann
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xariann

Postby Xariann » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 am

Have been using this for a while. It draws from EDDB and updates info with what you are doing. Practical things you can do with it:

View a 3D map of where you have been.

Find the closest [Station that sells a Python, station with black market, station that sells gold, find a place to buy/sell rares, you get the picture].

Add bookmarks and points of interest. Want to keep track of all the compromised beacons? Just add them. You will then know how far they are and can view it in the 3D map.

2D map shows the closest things to you.

Can manage your screenshots if you are so inclined.

Keep logs.

Other stuff I can't remember on top of my head.

All in all I find it is one of the best tools out there.
Mobius PVE Group Facebook Admin

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 am

I tried this out, and it is quite good.

My main issue is that it does not tell you that it is installing a neutered version of the Apache webserver and a version of the MYSQL server to allow it to work its magic. I understand why it does, but I am not happy that it does so without telling you. My reasoning is that when you don't know what software is on your PC and you start having issues, it makes it harder for you to troubleshoot. That is me being a control freak when it comes to stuff on my PC.

Now, if that is ok for the person then by all means, it has a lot of nice features. The author has taken a lot of time to get a lot of information in one place. I may give it more of a spin over the next little while to see exactly the impact of using it on my PC is. Just wish the author would state that it is installing a webserver/MYSQL on your PC.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:12 am

I thought the apache\mysql bit was pretty obvious but then again that's me ;)
I would honestly prefer to run full fledged versions of that and just install the toolbox like a reguler website.

Testing this myself now, and my first thoughts was.
"Holy shit, why is my computer running so slow?!"
That was until I figured it was running some sort of treatment on my ED image folder, so killed off that and moved my pictures someplace else.

It also seems that my ED screenshot folder is no less than 23GB large at this point so I suppose it might be time to clean that up...
I guess those highres shots stack up when they clock in at 230 MB each..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Tools and Helpers”