Trade updater that is purely overlay, no alt-tab?

Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Trade updater that is purely overlay, no alt-tab?

Postby Schmobius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:49 am

I'm looking through the tools in edcodex.info, and threads, and wondering if I'm misunderstanding anything and possibly missing a good solution here.

I would be interested in using something that can update EDDN in such a way that the prices I am seeing right now at a station make it to the cloud, with the hope that I can then hit the search button again in etn.io, which I use for trade routes, and have it calculate a new route when a station is sold out of something it's telling me to trade.

I don't want it to save to an excel file on my machine (I don't even have excel installed on that computer, and don't want it.), and I don't want to have to switch out of E:D (bad things tend to happen when I do that... namely, I can't get back into the game about half the time without forcibly killing it from the task manager and restarting it), and I have it hooked up to a TV in my living room, so no dual-monitor setup is going to happen there.

EDMarketConnector seems like it would be perfect, if it could be used from within the game itself, sort of how Trade Computer Extension works. (Except that one seems to only load things to a personal excel spreadsheet. I'm not interested in that.)

I currently use etn.io from the Steam (Big Picture Mode) overlay, or sometimes Overwolf (which I primarily use to run Pandora, though I have teamspeak set up there as well), so if it's something that won't interfere with those, that would be nice as well.

Does such a thing exist, and I'm just mis-reading the tool descriptions, or am I out of luck?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Re: Trade updater that is purely overlay, no alt-tab?

Postby Loriath » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 am

Right now there are only 4 ways to get data into the EDDN network. That is with ED Market Connector, Trade Dangerous, EliteOCR and another I can't remember the name of, but works like ED Market connector.

There are many sites that use the EDDN data, such as the Mobius partner site INARA, ETN.IO, EDDB, and ED Central (I know there are way more than just those) and stand alone tools such as Slopey's Tool, Trade Dangerous and others. But there is only 2 tools that I know that have an overlay mode that is used for Trading. One is based on Excel, and the other is Slopey's.

If you are content using the Steam Overlay Browser, or Overwolfs, then you can use any of the websites that use EDDN. If not, and you want Overlays, then Slopey is the only other choice.

Now I will give you another option if you have a tablet that you have access to. Regulated Noise is a PC Tools that can use EDDN, and ED Market Connector. Best part, it has a Webserver built into it, that if you have a Tablet, you can point the Tablet browser to the Webserver that it runs on your machine and operate it that way. Just another option.

But it seems to me that if you want Overlays, then Slopeys is the better choice.

Make sure you understand the limitations of EDDN.
A lot of people are still using EliteOCR to get data into the EDDN network, and that is not 100% accurate, So there will be errors. Artie, who runs INARA was hesitant to accept EDDN data because of the errors from Elite OCR. I know that he has now started to use the data, but only accepting data from EDMarket Connector/Trade Dangerous because they are getting the data 99.99999999999% correct from using the Web Companion API. But there is still room for errors. I am not sure about Slopey's since I have not used it for a while, if the data can be Filtered. I can look into it later today and let you know.

I hope this helps. And as far as your Alt-Tab out of game issue, do you play with ED set to Full Screen or Borderless? Borderless may give you less issues in that regard. You can check/change in game under Graphic Options.

UPDATE: Slopey's does NOT use EDDN data, but allows the data you collect, only using Elite OCR to be sent to Slopey's Server and shared, so you can only use that as a source of shared data, not EDDN.

Sorry for the confusion, but it has been a while since I used it and had to install it to look at its features again.

SECOND UPDATE: Seems like Slopey's data sharing is down and has been for a while. Seems he is unavailable and has been for a month or so. Might not be a viable option any more.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Loriath wrote:Right now there are only 4 ways to get data into the EDDN network. That is with ED Market Connector, Trade Dangerous, EliteOCR and another I can't remember the name of, but works like ED Market connector.

There are many sites that use the EDDN data, such as the Mobius partner site INARA, ETN.IO, EDDB, and ED Central (I know there are way more than just those) and stand alone tools such as Slopey's Tool, Trade Dangerous and others. But there is only 2 tools that I know that have an overlay mode that is used for Trading. One is based on Excel, and the other is Slopey's.

If you are content using the Steam Overlay Browser, or Overwolfs, then you can use any of the websites that use EDDN. If not, and you want Overlays, then Slopey is the only other choice.

Now I will give you another option if you have a tablet that you have access to. Regulated Noise is a PC Tools that can use EDDN, and ED Market Connector. Best part, it has a Webserver built into it, that if you have a Tablet, you can point the Tablet browser to the Webserver that it runs on your machine and operate it that way. Just another option.

But it seems to me that if you want Overlays, then Slopeys is the better choice.

Make sure you understand the limitations of EDDN.
A lot of people are still using EliteOCR to get data into the EDDN network, and that is not 100% accurate, So there will be errors. Artie, who runs INARA was hesitant to accept EDDN data because of the errors from Elite OCR. I know that he has now started to use the data, but only accepting data from EDMarket Connector/Trade Dangerous because they are getting the data 99.99999999999% correct from using the Web Companion API. But there is still room for errors. I am not sure about Slopey's since I have not used it for a while, if the data can be Filtered. I can look into it later today and let you know.

I hope this helps. And as far as your Alt-Tab out of game issue, do you play with ED set to Full Screen or Borderless? Borderless may give you less issues in that regard. You can check/change in game under Graphic Options.

UPDATE: Slopey's does NOT use EDDN data, but allows the data you collect, only using Elite OCR to be sent to Slopey's Server and shared, so you can only use that as a source of shared data, not EDDN.

Sorry for the confusion, but it has been a while since I used it and had to install it to look at its features again.

SECOND UPDATE: Seems like Slopey's data sharing is down and has been for a while. Seems he is unavailable and has been for a month or so. Might not be a viable option any more.

Ok, I think that confirms what I thought, but I'm glad to have the confirmation. I'm not going to cry about it too much, since I'm not getting off my ass to code something myself. :-)

And I do use full screen mode. Last time I tried windowed, it left the windows task bar at the bottom, and a big ugly border. That's why I like having the Steam overlay to run etn.io and coriolis.io, and sometimes Thrudd's or EDDB to get a bit more manual with the routes when even the 4 hour old trade data in etn proves to be out of date. (Must be someone in a T9 one jump ahead of me...)

I've been having trouble with Steam crashing on me a bit lately, but it only seems to be since I've been playing Pandora in the background (the Elite soundtrack is good, but gets old after a couple hundred hours), and I wonder if it's different versions of Flash player conflicting in the background. Overwolf sometimes gets stuck when I bring it to the foreground, and I have to restart everything, including Elite, because it can't get the controls back. But when everything works, it's glorious. I was just hoping I could update trade data to help myself and others while running all of this without extra monitors.

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Boozeman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:24 pm

I use Elite Dangerous now with borderless window. The alt+tab is somewhat quick. When using Trade Dangerous with Putty SSH-window, you can still see if you're going to fly to star :-)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Boozeman wrote:I use Elite Dangerous now with borderless window. The alt+tab is somewhat quick. When using Trade Dangerous with Putty SSH-window, you can still see if you're going to fly to star :-)

Yep Borderless is the way to go.

Schmobius wrote:I've been having trouble with Steam crashing on me a bit lately, but it only seems to be since I've been playing Pandora in the background (the Elite soundtrack is good, but gets old after a couple hundred hours), and I wonder if it's different versions of Flash player conflicting in the background. Overwolf sometimes gets stuck when I bring it to the foreground, and I have to restart everything, including Elite, because it can't get the controls back. But when everything works, it's glorious. I was just hoping I could update trade data to help myself and others while running all of this without extra monitors.

You know you can download the regular version and not use the steam version. Would lighten the load a little. And if you want to play some stuff in the background, check out Radio Sidewinder, Lave Radio and a bunch of others that can be found on the INARA site (inara.cz)

I had WAY to many issues with Overwolf, you can search and find my rant here about it.

Lastly, FLASH IS EVIL!!! BURN IT! BURN IT NOW!!!!
:twisted: :evil: :P 8-)
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Loriath wrote:
Boozeman wrote:I use Elite Dangerous now with borderless window. The alt+tab is somewhat quick. When using Trade Dangerous with Putty SSH-window, you can still see if you're going to fly to star :-)

Yep Borderless is the way to go.

Schmobius wrote:I've been having trouble with Steam crashing on me a bit lately, but it only seems to be since I've been playing Pandora in the background (the Elite soundtrack is good, but gets old after a couple hundred hours), and I wonder if it's different versions of Flash player conflicting in the background. Overwolf sometimes gets stuck when I bring it to the foreground, and I have to restart everything, including Elite, because it can't get the controls back. But when everything works, it's glorious. I was just hoping I could update trade data to help myself and others while running all of this without extra monitors.

You know you can download the regular version and not use the steam version. Would lighten the load a little. And if you want to play some stuff in the background, check out Radio Sidewinder, Lave Radio and a bunch of others that can be found on the INARA site (inara.cz)

I had WAY to many issues with Overwolf, you can search and find my rant here about it.

Lastly, FLASH IS EVIL!!! BURN IT! BURN IT NOW!!!!
:twisted: :evil: :P 8-)

Uh, download what version? As far as I know, if you want to listen to Pandora on a PC, you use a browser window. I think maybe the paid account has an app? I am no defender of Flash, but it's what I have to use to get Pandora running in a browser window. I don't typically use Pandora enough to justify a paid account. Besides, having ads kind of makes it feel like you have a radio in your ship. :-)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Again Radio Sidewinder. Has Elite Dangerous Ads. You have to listen to it. Goto INARA.CZ and play it from there to see. No flash needed, no membership needed. All free.

There are about 6 elite dangerous related radio stations. Check it out.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Loriath wrote:Again Radio Sidewinder. Has Elite Dangerous Ads. You have to listen to it. Goto INARA.CZ and play it from there to see. No flash needed, no membership needed. All free.

There are about 6 elite dangerous related radio stations. Check it out.

I'll check it out. Rather curious if it will suit my musical tastes. Maybe it's too much to hope that it will be full of "Hell Patrol" by Judas Priest and "Aces High" by Iron Maiden, but we'll see. I actually tend to listen to a lot of electronic music on Pandora, and it surprisingly fits the mood of space pretty well most of the time. And the former songs do get a bit dissonant when you're just making trading runs instead of engaging in combat. :-)

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Also, as I see there's a "Hutton Orbital" station, I was expecting it to just be "this is the song that never ends!" on repeat, or maybe Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, or just the slowest parts of it on repeat....

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:31 am

Yeah, Radio Sidewinder is pretty cool. The music playlist isn't batting 1000, but it's decent, and the commercials are hilarious, if repetitive. And Steam didn't crash on me today. (Though I did kill Overwolf first. It could be the two fighting, I don't know.)

Return to “Tools and Helpers”