Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby Loriath » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:13 am

de Carabas wrote:
Loriath wrote:Oh, can we get one or two more Auto-start slots please? :)

I'm nearly ready with the update for the SSC so that it uses the new Journal rather than the netlog to get system names etc. I spent last night on changes as BT have managed to balls up my phone line so no phone line / broadband for the next couple of days (yes maybe up to 5 days of no Internet - can you hear my kids screaming?)

Changes I've made so far
    It now looks in the journal file and grabs both the system and 'body' names listed
    body and BODY options added to the regular expression type renaming options (%b and %B respectively)
    I've removed the options around modifying the netlog and checking/adding verbose logging. I don't need it anymore
    I've changed the option screen around running additional applications so that they are listed in tabular form and the required info on them is stored in an xml file. In theory then you can have as many as you like :D

I can't really test it until I can get in game which is dependent on BT, but I'll make it available for any Beta testers as soon as I can.

Awesome. Can I make another suggestion? (like I will wait for you to answer before I plow on through asking) :P

Would it be possible to have it detect if you are in Beta or Regular and auto change the netlogs? I think there is no way unless you check for changes to both and then select the one that is actively changing, unless there is a way to detect where the ED EXE file is being run from (beta or normal directory).

Thanks and willing to beat it up for Beta.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:02 am

Loriath wrote:Would it be possible to have it detect if you are in Beta or Regular and auto change the netlogs? I think there is no way unless you check for changes to both and then select the one that is actively changing, unless there is a way to detect where the ED EXE file is being run from (beta or normal directory).

Well, I don't use the netlog anymore so I don't think that's needed is it?
You do raise an interesting point though. The journals are saved in C:\users\<userid>\Saved Games\Frontier\Elite Dangerous\ (or something like that). I wonder how beta journals will be kept separate from production ones when we get 2.3 beta? Might be worth a question on that on the main forum.
I'll have a look at whether I can work out where the game is being run from as that might be useful information to put in the log text as a minimum.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:24 pm

de Carabas wrote:
Loriath wrote:Would it be possible to have it detect if you are in Beta or Regular and auto change the netlogs? I think there is no way unless you check for changes to both and then select the one that is actively changing, unless there is a way to detect where the ED EXE file is being run from (beta or normal directory).

Well, I don't use the netlog anymore so I don't think that's needed is it?
You do raise an interesting point though. The journals are saved in C:\users\<userid>\Saved Games\Frontier\Elite Dangerous\ (or something like that). I wonder how beta journals will be kept separate from production ones when we get 2.3 beta? Might be worth a question on that on the main forum.
I'll have a look at whether I can work out where the game is being run from as that might be useful information to put in the log text as a minimum.

I asked. Yes, the journal files are going to be used, but the netlogs are still being written, right? Probably more for the Network/game aspect rather than the info third party tools are now extracting.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Loriath wrote:I asked.
Cheers. And I see a response that says to read the header for the build. I'll have a look at that and see if it's usable. If it's just a number then I'm not sure how that would help to distinguish prod from beta versions but then I've not got a copy of the file in front of me to look at.

Loriath wrote:Yes, the journal files are going to be used, but the netlogs are still being written, right? Probably more for the Network/game aspect rather than the info third party tools are now extracting.

I see what you are saying.
If I can work it right I should be able to detect that EliteDangerous32 or EliteDangerous64 is running and then work back from the directory it's running from to confirm if it's in the beta section or not from the path. All conjecture at the moment as I've not got the game installed on my work laptop (no point, it wouldn't run).
I've had a bit of a play with the code to get the running path and having a few issues but nothing that I think I can't work round.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:04 pm

Version availble to test for BETAonly <here>.

Changes as above - basically it now uses the Journal rather than the netlog and the launching of applications is done based on the entries in a table in the settings. You can add an entry using the button and edit with a double-click on the row. I forgot the code for deleting a row, which I'll have in the next version.

Key thing for anyone testing - the apps are stored in an xml file in the same directory as the app. Given the occasional issues with permissions that I seem to get this is somethign to look out for.

Loriath - for detecting the version it looks straight forward enough to grab that from the Journal header as suggested. Do you want that available as another paramater for regex renaming?

EDIT: Updated the link to a new BETA version that fixes the problem with a missing xml file for applications that you want to launch. I hope.
Last edited by de Carabas on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 am

de Carabas wrote:Version availble to test for BETAonly

Loriath - for detecting the version it looks straight forward enough to grab that from the Journal header as suggested. Do you want that available as another paramater for regex renaming?

That's what i was thinking, as well as maybe having them converted into another folder so we can keep the beta shots separated from the main game shots. I am BS for organisation so I rely on things like this to do it for me :P
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Loriath wrote: That's what i was thinking, as well as maybe having them converted into another folder so we can keep the beta shots separated from the main game shots. I am BS for organisation so I rely on things like this to do it for me :P

Right then, I think I've got it nearly sorted. What's your preference on the folder structure? At the moment I have the option in there to have a sub-directory for the system. Do you think it works best to have a 'Beta' directory (if wanted) within the system folder or to have a 'Beta' folder at the top and the systems within that?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:00 pm

de Carabas wrote:
Loriath wrote: That's what i was thinking, as well as maybe having them converted into another folder so we can keep the beta shots separated from the main game shots. I am BS for organisation so I rely on things like this to do it for me :P

Right then, I think I've got it nearly sorted. What's your preference on the folder structure? At the moment I have the option in there to have a sub-directory for the system. Do you think it works best to have a 'Beta' directory (if wanted) within the system folder or to have a 'Beta' folder at the top and the systems within that?

I put them in a folder called "ED Pics" so maybe a Beta Folder below that.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:05 am

Will try it out tonight.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “Tools and Helpers”