Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:52 am

Loriath wrote: Personally, I think this is feature creep. Your utility is excellent at what it does. Going beyond "Screenshot/Video changer" means that it is no longer just that, and is treading on other utilities that do THOSE things specifically. What you are proposing are available in EDDI, The latest HCS Voicepacks, and others.

I guess I hadn't really appreciated the other apps doing the same thing.

All very good points Lori. I think you've given me the same advice in the past and perhaps my enthusiasm just needs the occasional bit of reigning in.

I shall do as you suggest, keep the logic improvements on the log file reading and put the bells and whistles elsewhere.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm

de Carabas wrote:I guess I hadn't really appreciated the other apps doing the same thing.

All very good points Lori. I think you've given me the same advice in the past and perhaps my enthusiasm just needs the occasional bit of reigning in.

I shall do as you suggest, keep the logic improvements on the log file reading and put the bells and whistles elsewhere.

The enthusiasm is what makes your apps good, it is an advantage you have. I can think of no features that you can add that would make SCC better, maybe others can come up with something to fit. Don't take my opinion as a "Don't do it" but as another perspective.

You idea that you posted could be the beginning of something larger and a lot more impressive than you think. I follow the threads on the main forums for a LOT of tools that I don't use, or never have used, just because they are seriously impressive. They may not fit into what I do in ED, but that does not mean I have some serious interest in what others are coming up with.

The guys at HCS voicepacks have started to do Voice Attack plugins that operate with the journals to do some neat stuff. The EDDI author is taking that utility in directions I would never have imagined when he did EDDI V.1. ED Discovery is allowing us to see all the stuff in the logs. ED Engineer is one I find absolutely Required for me now, just as I find my ED Tracker and SSC are Must Have for me. For others, they have other favourites. All of them are different, and they work the way they do because of the way the programmers have come up with the features, seen how they are used and gotten more ideas from that.

You have a built in Feedback with Mobius group. So think about what would WOW you in features, build it, pass it around. Let us break it and suggest changes like you did with SSC and I expect it will be fabulous.

Suggestions based on me playing the game of things I think we would love:

Which Direction should be head when we are on a planet trying to find a set of coordinates. Can this be pulled and displayed?
Warn me when I don't have a crew assigned when I switch ships.
Tell me when I have a limpet controller and no limpets.
Remind me to sell my salvaged cargo, Collect my bounties, and other sort of "Your Door is Ajar" type notifications.
Let us set goals for Credits or Levels of rank, ammo ammounts, and warn us when we are close.

I am sure there are others. Oh and if you want Dawg to Kiss you, find a way for him to slow down in time before he goes PAST the destination :P That would save him 400 hours a year at least!
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:05 pm

SSC 1.5.1 now available then. Added some improved Journal file handling and the additional variables for commander name and ship type to be used when renaming.

I'll think through where to put the other functionality that I was playing with (If anywhere). For Dawg it really wouldn't be too difficult to have an app check if the pilot is Dawg and then apply the breaks every now and then on his behalf.........
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 am

de Carabas wrote:SSC 1.5.1 now available then. Added some improved Journal file handling and the additional variables for commander name and ship type to be used when renaming.

I'll think through where to put the other functionality that I was playing with (If anywhere). For Dawg it really wouldn't be too difficult to have an app check if the pilot is Dawg and then apply the breaks every now and then on his behalf.........

Cool. Downloading now.

And that may work, but can you just have the AI pilots take over Dawgs ships while he drinks and talks to us? Would be a bloody huge improvement to his skills, and less worries for us to save his arse :P
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 am

Loriath wrote:And that may work, but can you just have the AI pilots take over Dawgs ships while he drinks and talks to us? Would be a bloody huge improvement to his skills, and less worries for us to save his arse :P

I could have a random timer that then fires random directional changes and boost commands to the ship as he goes along. Or would that be too close to normal flying style? :D

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am

de Carabas wrote:
Loriath wrote:And that may work, but can you just have the AI pilots take over Dawgs ships while he drinks and talks to us? Would be a bloody huge improvement to his skills, and less worries for us to save his arse :P

I could have a random timer that then fires random directional changes and boost commands to the ship as he goes along. Or would that be too close to normal flying style? :D

Perfect. Also, have him run into us every few minutes, bounce of the planets surface and crash into the station randomly on landing and launching. Come to think of it, can you sample his voice and just have a bot chat on Discord with us and fly the ship this way and we can do away with him completely.

:P
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Whilst you're on the subject.....

Any chance of a..... "Remember these aint healing beams, You Wanker" message.......

Scrolling across the hud......

In a 2" font........

In lime green.......

Flashing........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 pm

I've just uploaded a new version of the SSC with more checking for invalid characters in system names. It had just failed me while visiting '* tet02 Orionis C'.
Link to change log

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Hehe that * might be a bit problematic :)

Thanks for keeping SSC alive and well, it saves us from a lot of manual work with renames and format conversions.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:37 am

thanks de Carabas!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator