Suggestion: Friendly PvP Sparring Club

General Discussion about Wings, Fleets and Subgroups.
uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Suggestion: Friendly PvP Sparring Club

Postby uvelius » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Core aspects: Consensual, non-destructive, event-only, friendly, with the actual sparring outside of Mobius of course.

After a nice match with another Mobius Commander, of course in a different Private Group, I thought it could be nice to have a "PvP sparring club": Just gathering for set or spontaneous PvP sparring sessions where not the destruction of the other Commander, but fun and skill honing are the focus. Thus disengaging at 50% hull or whatever the duellants agree upon. Note that your ship might still be destroyed due to accidential ramming and such, but everyone does his/her best to avoid destruction of fellow Commanders.

Why this?
PvP-dedicated groups are often very focused on the training aspect, and try to get the most out of their ships for engagements. Trainings are (more or less) tightly evaluated. You learn a lot, but it is, well, like a lesson (which is all fine, yet not our goal here).
Through Mobius, we have the chance to meet other Commanders with the same "sparring for fun"-attitude in mind.

Others like Canonn do PvP events now and then, and everyone just flies whatever he/she has, which I experienced as quite a happy affair. So why not offer the opportunity for some duels, also for Mobius members? Even though we focus on PvE, a PvP session can be fun -- it is much different to fly against another Commander or even a Commander Wing than against NPCs.
At the same time, we still keep the Mobius spirit up by explicitely doing only staged duels, non-griefer and non-accidential, and by switching to another Private Group during the event.

How does this sound?
Last edited by uvelius on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Re: Suggestion: Friendly PvP Sparring Club

Postby evovi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 pm

This sounds good, no pressure no hassle and pre arranged rules - lots more going on than chasing an ai round.. Definitely one to aid in combat skills..

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm

uvelius wrote:...How does this sound?

I like your thinking, but would add that it's perfectly legal within the Mobius group. Choose opposing sides in any CZ and get to it with whatever rules of engagement you agree upon. Move away from the NPC hubbub, and uncheck "Report crimes against me" if you don't want interference. :)

I'm not much for PvP myself. I find it turns into a "meta" race quite quickly, and grinding engineers/PP simply isn't my thing. Although agreeing to meet in stock ships of the same kind could be fun and very revealing... :D

I would love to see a ganking/griefing/clubbingofseals free PvP community within the Mobius PvE group. That would be an awesome addition.

amenditman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: amenditman

Postby amenditman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Sounds like a great training tool also.
For those of us who are new and having a hard time coming to grips with the combat end of the game.
Texting + Anything Else = Texting

The something else always gets broken!

uvelius
Master
Master

Postby uvelius » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:I like your thinking, but would add that it's perfectly legal within the Mobius group.

Good point. Yet it makes stuff possibly more complicated since you first have to find/fly to a CZ. If one is at hand, might be no problem even in Mobius.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 am

I'm more leaning towards the popping into a private group - möbius rules are clear about pvp and cz's might not always be convenient - where as we have a system to park our boats in, then we just need to hop there and swap groups - no risk of clashes with rules then... Keep möbius pvp free safest way... That's my opinion tho and usually it doesn't count lol

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:02 am

uvelius wrote:... "PvP sparring club"...

Or how about "Mobius PvP"?... :P

I think quite a few would enjoy PvP on friendly terms. :)

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:10 am

evovi wrote:I'm more leaning towards the popping into a private group - möbius rules are clear about pvp and cz's might not always be convenient - where as we have a system to park our boats in, then we just need to hop there and swap groups - no risk of clashes with rules then... Keep möbius pvp free safest way... That's my opinion tho and usually it doesn't count lol

I have to agree - keeping this friendly PvP group separate from Mobius is cleaner & less complicated.

uvelius
Master
Master

Postby uvelius » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 am

Excellent!
Sparring dates, friend list etc. in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7187&p=80920#p80920

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Just adding my 2-cents. I certainly like the idea. My only concern, which I think Globus brought up, is the engineered and PvP builds. As a sparring club, for fun, I think it would be better to use standard PvE builds. Out in Colonia, even limiting it to E/D rated Vipers, as that's what's available. A PvP build slug fest of who has the most SCBs doesn't sound like fun to me. Of course, that can be decided between commanders ahead of time. ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Wing Commanders”