Suggestion: Friendly PvP Sparring Club

General Discussion about Wings, Fleets and Subgroups.
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Suggestion: Friendly PvP Sparring Club

Postby evovi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm

What is a shame is you can't utilise cqc for private matches - instead it's done via matchmaking - creating your own session would be a useful mode and could help bring players together when they are thousands of ly's from civilisation and just fancy a quick 1v1 or 2v2 session this would also give access to stock builds from within cqc load outs...

We do have a issue where we can't see what core parts are fitted so we can't be critical on core module ratings - it will just have to be limited to ship but completely stock parts (no mods) so the eagle fits, it's power plant is under powered and its shields paper like, no matter what you nail on it, builds can't get too complicated or OP with this ship anyway - not like the huge difference with an out the ship yard fdl and one that's a-rated...

Then we need the no limit matches - anything goes - gives you chance to hone your skills to your ship in the real world environment where you could be Interdicted by anything random in open - commander skill can take an engineered viper up against a python or Conda and comfortably win...

Choices and RoE are all clearly stated and agreed to...

No hissy fits if an accident happens and a ship goes pop it's not about an elitism style mood I'm better than you ner ner, it's about fun, and building on what you already can do with your ship

I can't stress enough how different going against a real human commander is to sitting in a res and tracking a target and getting behind it.... Try getting behind a person... Try staying there !

Worlds apart

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:28 pm

I move my thoughts on engineered builds from the list to here where it belongs :D
Tifu wrote:CMDR If I may make a suggestion, it would be nice if we had some trainings where we're all piloting Sidewinders. This would be great for some basic PvP training sessions.

Good idea. Eagles might be a bit more fun though, plus small outline (=harder to hit) and more agile (=more zooming around). Plus more style ;)
I would suggest to A-or D-rate everything as desired but keep it un-engineered, and slap which defenses and weapons one wants on it. But that's fully up to the one organizing an event of course.

In every case, RoEs depend on what you want to achieve,*) therefore just set up an event that suits your style.
My motto for RoE is: Keep it simple, no more rules than necessary.

--

*) In PvP, the point is that you neither know which exact build, nor which exact effects a Commander uses, thus asking for much more awareness. Also you might want to test that special build of yours out in the wild to see whether it is worth anything an a close-to-real encounter (I do for example :) ). SCB tanks are just boring ... as long as you don't equip against SCB. On the other hand, there's overpowering, against which stock ships are a good way.

Let's just keep in mind that Fight Club is not about winning, but about honing skills and having fun.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Well, I will say that with "friendly sparring club", my mind went to practice with light punches and cheap ships. More for pilot practice than for PvP training or testing out strong builds.

But I suppose I'd be willing to take on tougher ships - it don't cost nuthin'. ;) I mean having my shields stripped in one shot, and 50% hull gone on the second, may not be fun for me or my opponent, but maybe after losing 30 in a row I learn to not get hit. And I'm not interested for training to go into Open PvP, as that play style doesn't appeal to me (at least not until FD fixes it).

So, yeah, if you have an A-rated Vulture and want to play with my cat toy Viper, then I guess I'm up for it.
It's time to give this another go.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I mean having my shields stripped in one shot, and 50% hull gone on the second, may not be fun for me or my opponent

Fear not!

That's why I wrote that it is not about winning -- since if one does it for fun or practice, one would choose a ship that is not straight lethal to the other player(s), in fact one might even choose a weaker build to have a bigger challenge. Or if someone chooses a superior build for his or her own reasons, it might still be versatile if used for teaching the opponent stuff instead of smearing him to the next moon.
A Most-SCB-Race and such is no fun for anyone (except griefers maybe).

Also, if we get wings together, it is usually the case that they are balanced before start, by assigning the ships according to their strength to the two opposing factions.
So as with Mobius in general, I like to assume that we are sensible enough here ;)

Oh and by the way, nothing against weak punches and small ships. We are free to choose whichever type of encounter we want to have. Nothing beats Eagle race fights in asteroid belts!

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler

Postby SockFiddler » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:12 am

It's not about the size of your ship; it's what you do with it that counts. ;)

If you have a wing of strong pilots, experienced in PvP (and this genuinely is about fun, training and gaining experience) then why not plan events where the 4 more experienced players actively train the members of the other wing. E.g:

Round 1:
4 v 4 in original groups. Except your 4 more experienced pilots demonstrate how they can pick apart 2 'condas an FDL and a Cutter in 15 seconds without breaking a sweat. (They'll also be more likely to recognise when someone's taken enough of a beating and, thus, prevent those hefty buy-back costs. I notice lots of pilots here all willing to downgrade to much cheaper ships: my guess is that's buy-back related)

Round 2:
Your badass combateers fight each other 2 v 2 so you can see how they target, dodge and roll, utilising whatever ship each of them are in to the best of its abilities. Don't think an AspX is a combat-worthy ship? You gotta see CMDR Kharma with his plasmas, eg. Your more experienced pilots could be flying a variety of ships between them, demonstrating strengths and weaknesses for each ship.

Round 3:
2 "trainees" (for want of a better word) pair up with 2 more experienced pilots for 4 v 4 training, with rounds starting off slowly - each wing taking it in turns to practise manoeuvres and so on - and gradually getting faster and more full-on. Almost like training drills, but with space ships and beer.

Round 4:
Final round is back in original groups so "trainees" can put their newly practised skills to the test while being able to compare the results to the first round.

You don't need to worry about engineering, ship types, whatever. You might find people are more skilled than they realise. It's never a bad thing to give folks a chance to learn from each other. Could even find some not-asshole pvp regulars to come showcase their ships and skills, and talk pvp engineering and what have you.
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:50 pm

CQC is always an option.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:47 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
uvelius wrote:... "PvP sparring club"...

Or how about "Mobius PvP"?... :P

I think quite a few would enjoy PvP on friendly terms. :)

Like this?

Return to “Wing Commanders”