Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: AZRAEL BGS and The Order of Mobius reaction to the SDC claiming 'victory'

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Awesome SDC.
Welcome to PvE gameplay. Lol...
Now these guys finally realize what Elite actually is. A single player game that was shoehorned into a multiplayer game style.
These guys have always had my hats off for trying to prove that ED is a PvE game.

Edit: Anyone know who these people actually are? I need to make some money (IRL)?

Han Zulu
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Han Ka Solo

Postby Han Zulu » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:44 pm

What I find hilarious is that they did this in an attempt to prove how PG has such a huge advantage in powerplay over Open. I.e. 5th column play in PG is detrimental to Open, and you show that by actually winning in Open over PG in BGS??? They didn't show the silliness of different modes, but the silliness of thinking that they actually proved something.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 pm

I don't know, I go away with work for a while and miss all the fun! :P

It's unfortunate for all the OoM supporters, but knowing them as I do, they'll quickly bounce back, and if the thread over on the FD forum with even more support than before.

The Order has faced many set backs over the years, many of us remember the frustration of the Exioce wars, but the Order kept going, and once its Commanders are bored sunning themselves and drinking margaritas they'll be back doing it all over again.

All the SDC have succeeded in doing with this is to make themselves slightly more hated, get ridiculed for 70 odd pages on the FD forum, and drive up membership in Mobius.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Saberius
Admin
Admin
CMDR: SABERIUS

Postby Saberius » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:23 am

Me in the aftermath of the savage and crippling attack upon the Mobius PvE community... How shall we recover?

...but seriously, Order Of Mobius Wing-Command,
give the word and I'll be back in the neighbourhood for rebuild activities..

All the SDC have done, is give us more content... (THANKS GUYS!) and it's at 80pages now.. wow..

https://youtu.be/pfWMLqzg9n4

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 am

Xebeth wrote:...All the SDC have succeeded in doing with this is to make themselves slightly more hated, get ridiculed for 70 odd pages on the FD forum, and drive up membership in Mobius.

On that note, one could argue that SDCs event succeeded in adding content and "life" to Elite: Dangerous? Something to get excited/inflamed about?

All they did was play and emphasise a broken game mechanic in my opinion. Not even very well at that. But based on the attention they're getting, I would say that the mission has been a huge success for them, and Elite: Dangerous. :)

We can all argue about they're agenda and how they go about it, but at the end of the day SDC adds tension to Elite: Dangerous, and personally I think Elite: Dangerous would be poorer without them.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Unfortunately, that's how a smart person would read those events, but they do not plan it that far.
It's just a bunch of kids with anger and inferiority issues, and a lot of time in their hands.
When Elite is quiet, they even invent ennemies as happened here, thinking they were going against 20000 players, in an attempt to boost defficient egos :)

There are plenty of roleplaying pirates and combat pilots who add better tension to Elite than that IMO.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:30 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Xebeth wrote:...All the SDC have succeeded in doing with this is to make themselves slightly more hated, get ridiculed for 70 odd pages on the FD forum, and drive up membership in Mobius.

On that note, one could argue that SDCs event succeeded in adding content and "life" to Elite: Dangerous? Something to get excited/inflamed about?

All they did was play and emphasise a broken game mechanic in my opinion. Not even very well at that. But based on the attention they're getting, I would say that the mission has been a huge success for them, and Elite: Dangerous. :)

We can all argue about they're agenda and how they go about it, but at the end of the day SDC adds tension to Elite: Dangerous, and personally I think Elite: Dangerous would be poorer without them.

The piss drunk, failed life, brain dead homeless guy that falls down in the gutter and vomits on himself also gets a lot of attention, mostly from people pointing and laughing, which is exactly what people in the forums are doing to SDC. If that's what they think of as success, it's just a reason to laugh at them even more.

And they don't add tension to ED. They just keep giving reasons to point at them and laugh at their idiocy.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:20 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:

Getting themselves to be the center of attention again has obviously been a success. That is of course what kids nowadays yearn for. Look at the popularity of Yourube, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. It’s all about fame for fame’s sake. “Look at me, look at me” cries the child yearning for some small modicum of notice and affection, in a world filled with noise.

As for their contribution to Elite. That can be debatable. The game would be just fine without them.

Let’s face it. ED is not really a multiplayer focused game. We all share the same universe and can see each other if instanced together, but if this game were pure solo mode how would it be any different? We can affect each other through the BGS which is a PvE thing and really the way the “influences” in the BGS has been set up it seems to be more for a single player game imo.

PvP in ED really has no meaning. To me, it seemed like ED was actually conceptualized as a single player game and then someone probably DB suddenly decided, one day, why not join the trend and make it multiplayer. A central galaxy server instead of having each individual run their own galaxy. A central galaxy server would also allow for more “factions” to be included without overburdening someone’s PC and let them essentially run a “thin client”. Since the single player game foundation is already in place, treat other players as no different than NPCs (but special case NPCs). IMO that’s why we can shoot each other (and makes sense from a immersion POV.) I think that the limitation place by the single player ED framework is what led to the “Players and NPCs will not be treated any different” philosophy.

I’ve played other games where NPCs and Players were treated differently and where PvE and PvP made sense and had meaning. These games were designed for their modes from the ground up. I have played one other MMO where PvP completely did not make sense for the game’s design philosophy and was later shoehorned in because of player demand, and it was completely meaningless.

Oh well. Just my opinion.

Han Zulu
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Han Ka Solo

Postby Han Zulu » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Falcon_D wrote:PvP in ED really has no meaning. To me, it seemed like ED was actually conceptualized as a single player game and then someone probably DB suddenly decided, one day, why not join the trend and make it multiplayer.

Exactly! That's my feeling too. If it was an MMO first and foremost, then the instancing, combat logging, and many other things would've been solved first. Right now, it's not very stable.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Well.. the whole "Beyond" update is kind of a testimony on how the game was developped with no clear plan.
We are basically losing a year while they redo what they should have done right the first time if there was someone at the wheel of this derelict ship :p
Usually, developpers fine tune, tweak, and add to existing features. They do not thrash everything and redo the "core gameplay" because it was made to be utterly boring and senseless to start with (and the lack of QC and lazy management let it pass... yea i am doing my Yamiks impersonation there ^^).

At least, the last news about exploration and mining look pretty... exciting :)

Return to “News and Announcements”