cyberbofh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: cyberbofh
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

[Feedback] Elite Dangerous - SQUAD GOALS

Postby cyberbofh » Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 pm

CMDRs,

FDEV started it's discussion about the coming Squads in game and if you like multiplayer, then this will have a huge impact for you as well
:arrow: Please do use FDEV's feedback forum and share your opinion!

Brett's info posting here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/425830

Discussion forum here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/234-Beyond-Series-Focused-Feedback

Fly safely and give FDEV some feedback

o7

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Re: [Feedback] Elite Dangerous - SQUAD GOALS

Postby de Carabas » Thu May 10, 2018 11:09 am

Can we assume that the Mobius leadership will be sorting a squad (or squads) for Mobians? From what I'm reading it looks like an obvious (and helpful) extension for the group.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 10, 2018 12:16 pm

I disagree.

Mobius is not a "guild" and should not run a squad. At all.

They are managing the groups, groups whose purpose is simply to allow members to play in a pve environment in whatever fashion they themselves choose.

Squads are more like the aformentioned guilds in other MMO's which require a narrower focus on activities and only really work when groups remain relatively small or you end up with a draconian shitberg of an organisation.

I was briefly in Bob in eve-online, an alliance in game of several thousand members.
And if was just that. And with large groups like this sub grouping is a big problem.
In fact I'm certain the big wigs in the aforementioned alliance started wars with other alliances purely so the individual corporation members wouldn't start shooting at each other, Yes morale was that poor.

And mobius is far far bigger in terms of members. And Elite's members are not as inflated as in eve.
Where the norm was each player basically had three-four accounts.
At minimum two.

Besides as Mobius is. what? 30-40k members.
They would need to run 120-160 squads with the member limit.

No. Mobius should be what it is.
Inside mobius we can form and manage our own squads as we see fit, and play in mobius as before under the same protection as always.

Personally I find a guild over 50 members will need to form their own bureaucracy, and more rigid leadership structure.
Which leads to tensions, leading to politics, leading to drama.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu May 10, 2018 1:20 pm

and yet the option of using the feature to allow the better coordination of efforts for the OoM might be a necessity if we come across an aggressive player minor faction. At this stage we don't know a lot more than in-game chat but I can certainly see the benefit of having a Squad's carrier move to where ever needed to support the OoM. This will become more important as the distances grow due to expansion.

Squad's are going to be formed. There is discussion of aligning them to factions and questions about how they might influence the BGS.

If there isn't a central co-ordination of squads then I suggest that we keep an eye on the functionality coming as there might at least need to be guidelines or 'watch-outs' so that any squads formed do not inadvertently impact the OoM.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu May 10, 2018 10:32 pm

To Tor's point, the Mobius private groups are here to provide a PvE environment. No squads needed.

Our player factions and focus groups of OoM, MCRN, Mobius Exploration Corps, and MXC will most likely be looking at possibly forming squads when we know more.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Fri May 11, 2018 6:54 am

I had started a similar discussion over at us Fuel Rats. While Squadrons by themselves are, in my view, not fitting, we came up that registering our collective's name would be essential to avoid name-grabbing (so that "Fuel Rats" will be barred from registration by other players).

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm

JohnLuke wrote:To Tor's point, the Mobius private groups are here to provide a PvE environment. No squads needed.

Our player factions and focus groups of OoM, MCRN, Mobius Exploration Corps, and MXC will most likely be looking at possibly forming squads when we know more.

Precisely. and any member is free to start any Sqaud for whatever reason they feel.
Including the OOM supporters currently managing out of these boards.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 11, 2018 1:04 pm

uvelius wrote:I had started a similar discussion over at us Fuel Rats. While Squadrons by themselves are, in my view, not fitting, we came up that registering our collective's name would be essential to avoid name-grabbing (so that "Fuel Rats" will be barred from registration by other players).

Could as mentioned a few posts from your link, there could be useful for when fleet carriers are introduced.
I could see for instance the rats having a fleet of squadrons with carriers, to sell limpets and refuel (if they get that feature) scattered around the void at reasonable intervals.
It all varies with how these things come down, will there for instance be an option to allow non members of a squadron to dock and use some basic facilities ?
Or will people have to switch squads?
Will someone be allowed to join multiple squads ?
If it was necessary to leave and apply as you moved around the galaxy to gain access it would cause a significant bureaucratic strain on the rats themselves, and probably not be worth having.

Anyhoo, just musing.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Sisilam
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sisialm

Postby Sisilam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:05 pm

While I agree that Mobius is more to provide an environment, so I also agree that a squad is a different concept, but I see two points. One indeed what @uvelius from the Fuel Rats brought up about securing the name, already simply to avoid confusion in-game, second an option to maybe providing an introductory page / link how to actually join Mobius gameplay.
To the question of @TorTorden, we already know that one can only join a single squadron and they are currently limited to about 500 members. It is possible to switch a squad without penalty but it seems a rather cumbersome step. The question remains how deeply integrated the squad system will be (eg. making it eventually essential to join).

just my 2 cents, o7

Return to “News and Announcements”