And BOOM! Nerf Hammer Falls!

The place for you to catch the latest news
Phillipus
Expert
Expert
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: And BOOM! Nerf Hammer Falls!

Postby Phillipus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am

Tom Derrick wrote:That´s something I honestly don´t understand.
I´m not saying you are playing it wrong or something like that, but I would imagine that if I made 2 billion credits on one day, I´ll be more or less done with the game. I´d buy my ship of choice with all A-grade modules and then all that´s left is grind for ranks.

Achieved all that 2 years ago.

I really don´t get why people would use exploits to skip content and then complain about a lack of content...
(not aimed at someone specifically, but there are a lot of those on the official forums)

Who's skipping content? Who's complaining about lack of content?

As I said these types of gold rushes are the only things I find interesting in ED these days. Then I guess it sucks to be me, right?

Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown

Postby Renown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:47 am

Renown wrote:
Lanceor wrote:The +++++ reputation rewards are really good for gaining rep with a faction. Unless I am mistaken however, I don't think they affect Naval rank - it's mainly the number of missions that count.

Reputation is local faction and power, you get a little graph showing your reputation on the reward completion page it might look maxxed at allied but I think it all counts. It's certainly going up a lot quicker than it did before 3.0. 60% Count to 50% marquis with only 3 data delivery runs of 20 missions. That seems faster to me, seems faster than it did going from Baron to Count. I even managed to get the 25 modular terminals to unlock Qwent.

Inara has crapped out on me but when it's up again I'll count the number of data boom missions I did this evening.

Ok counted the missions it took me to go from 60% Count, through Earl to 50% Marquis and it's 91, 4 20x mission data runs (not 3 as I thought) plus a handful more I did between Vequess and Cemiss as it was on my way. Always choosing the highest rep payout.

That still seems less than it was. At least the fear of nerfing has made me knuckle down to finish it whether it is overly rewarding now or not.

Just found this - "I am at Marquis and it takes around 3 missions per 1%" - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... et-to-Duke

So to have gone from 0% Marquis to 50% would have been 150 missions on it's own, even before my complete Earl progression and the completion of Count ranks.
Last edited by Renown on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 am

Tom Derrick wrote:
Phillipus wrote:I´m not saying you are playing it wrong or something like that, but I would imagine that if I made 2 billion credits on one day, I´ll be more or less done with the game. I´d buy my ship of choice with all A-grade modules and then all that´s left is grind for ranks.

When I was new to Elite in end 2014, I felt the money barrier as both a motivator and good for atmosphere; looking at those big bad Condas and could only dream of getting there one day in the far future does have an appeal.

I still hold that thought. But now that I played the game for years, money making is all but tedious and just gets in the way of interesting stuff:
May it be Fuel Ratting, may it be fighting/exploring alien stuff/doing mad stuff with some online buddies, all that is the real taste of the game for me.
There is already enough grind with accumulating mats for engineers and such, I don't feel a need for one more.

Yet as said, those are thoughts for advanced players; Condas, Belugas, all the big ones should be something special, a reward to be earned.

Tom Derrick
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Tom Derrick
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Tom Derrick » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Phillipus wrote:Who's skipping content? Who's complaining about lack of content?

Well, a lot of user reviews on steam and a couple of threads on the official forum complain about that.

But to be honest: I probably have some kind of unpopular opinion about the "skipping content".
For example: Using external websites like eddb feels like skipping content (at least for me personally)
So, figuring out where you can buy certain ships, or modules or what good trade routes are, that is part of the content for me.
After about 150 hours into the game, I am only half way to buying a Python, and the other half will probably take me several more weeks, and then a couple of weeks or even months to upgrade it properly. but that´s what keeps me going.

I know that I probably could do that in an afternoon if I went to certain websites to find the most profitable trade route, check where they sell the Python with the best discount and where I get the A-grade modules. Or by board hopping and stacking certain mission types...
But I feel like that would ruin the fun for me.

Again, I´m not saying that my way of playing is better than anyone elses. And I won´t even rule it out that my view might change after 500 more hours of playing. But then again, most games get kind of boring after that much time.

Mynx
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mynx
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Mynx » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Just my 2 cents:

I see the grindwall in ED as some kind of barricade. Since release I've always wanted to become a bounty hunter, but the payouts (hunting with sidewinder/eagle) were so small, I could not afford the time amount needed to "get somewhere" with that. So I've ended up farming the route to riches to get at least one decent ship that does not break under the smallest resistance. Though I do not like this kind of farming, but it gets the best results for me. So I am kinda trapped in a vortex of grinding work(!) until I can finally break out and do the things I initially wanted to.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Tom Derrick wrote:Again, I´m not saying that my way of playing is better than anyone elses. And I won´t even rule it out that my view might change after 500 more hours of playing. But then again, most games get kind of boring after that much time.

I've played ED for 4,374 hours (26w 6h 7min) and have over 18 billion in total assets. The only "challenge" that interests me now is to see how much I can screw out of every "exploit" or bandwagon that crops up. Like I said, sucks to be me.

Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown

Postby Renown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Renown wrote:
Renown wrote:
Lanceor wrote:The +++++ reputation rewards are really good for gaining rep with a faction. Unless I am mistaken however, I don't think they affect Naval rank - it's mainly the number of missions that count.

Reputation is local faction and power, you get a little graph showing your reputation on the reward completion page it might look maxxed at allied but I think it all counts. It's certainly going up a lot quicker than it did before 3.0. 60% Count to 50% marquis with only 3 data delivery runs of 20 missions. That seems faster to me, seems faster than it did going from Baron to Count. I even managed to get the 25 modular terminals to unlock Qwent.

Inara has crapped out on me but when it's up again I'll count the number of data boom missions I did this evening.

Ok counted the missions it took me to go from 60% Count, through Earl to 50% Marquis and it's 91, 4 20x mission data runs (not 3 as I thought) plus a handful more I did between Vequess and Cemiss as it was on my way. Always choosing the highest rep payout.

That still seems less than it was. At least the fear of nerfing has made me knuckle down to finish it whether it is overly rewarding now or not.

Just found this - "I am at Marquis and it takes around 3 missions per 1%" - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... et-to-Duke

So to have gone from 0% Marquis to 50% would have been 150 missions on it's own, even before my complete Earl progression and the completion of Count ranks.

Update, to go from 50% Marquis to 100% just took me around 25 missions choosing max rep as a reward.

If you want to get Fed/Imp navy ranks out of the way go to boom systems do data delivery and always choose the most reputation reward. Before it gets the boot.

Edited to add, just gone from 6% Duke to 19% Prince in no time at all, I worked it out. It's approximately 1 mission = 1.5% so to go from Duke to Prince took around 66 missions taking the max rep reward for each. A lot less than in the past.

Return to “News and Announcements”