Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Elite Dangerous - 2.4 and beyond

Postby Xebeth » Wed May 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Posted by Zac Antonaci on the FD forum

Greetings Commanders,

It’s a very exciting time to be part of the Elite Dangerous galaxy. On June 27 we will welcome even more Commanders to the galaxy with the PlayStation 4 launch. These new players will join the ranks of our already incredibly active, passionate and dedicated community.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous: The Commanders a number of weeks ago, we’ve received messages from members of the community eagerly awaiting details about the 2.4 update and the future of the game. I’m pleased to be able to share with you a little more detail on what’s to come in the short term and slightly longer term with Elite Dangerous.

The first thing I’d like to share with you is that we will be adding another point update on June 27, this will be for all platforms and will include a number of bug fixes, and stability and networking improvements. This includes the much-requested Anaconda cockpit appearance change and will also introduce greater security for multicrew hosts to be able to disable or limit crew members’ specific activity.

One large element of this point update is a number of “under the hood” fixes which are designed to improve stability and performance, particularly on planet surfaces. This means that we will be looking to run a beta for 2.3.10. However, we do understand that with this being a point update with a number of less visible improvements, it won’t have as many new features to play test. Nonetheless, this testing is very important to make sure the game works as we would expect. Due to the wider and more global nature of this small point update, we will be making the beta open for all and we would welcome your support in joining and spending a few hours playing and helping to ensure the update is as good and stable as it can be.

We’ll have more details on the beta, and exactly how it will work shortly.

2.4 – “????”

Back at EGX in 2015 we showcased the headline features that would be coming to Horizons. However, there’s always been an extra little update, a mystery if you will, that has yet to be revealed.

We’ll be providing a little more information about the update to the community and the press during E3 on June 13th and 14th. We’ll be hosting special community livestreams and activity so stay tuned for more news and updates as we get closer to the date.

I can, however, tell you that this update will be slightly different to previous ones - content will be revealed over time rather than all being available on day one. Additional pieces of exciting content will surface over the coming months as the narrative progresses.

Beyond

So with the Horizon season of expansions coming to a close, what is beyond 2.4 I hear you ask? Well, it certainly isn’t the end of this amazing journey… we’re only just getting started!

Our awesome dev team are dedicated to continuing to build and improve the Elite Dangerous experience with an exciting long term vision in mind. We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players.

We’ll be sharing more news on that content and our roadmap at a very special event coming later in the year - more details on this event will be released in the weeks after E3.

On behalf of the entire Elite Dangerous team, thank you for your continued support. We are very excited to embark on the next part of the journey together as we continue to make Elite Dangerous an even more fantastic game and experience for our incredible community of players.

Link
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Re: Elite Dangerous - 2.4 and beyond

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed May 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Oh great.....More bugs.......

/cynical.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Judging by the vagueness I have a feeling we may be in for a complete change of direction and maybe something as big as Sandro being replaced, like a lot of people have called for

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm

We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements!

I hope this is worth waiting for, and they really do keep improving the game and adding new features for years to come. I haven't played in weeks and have been itching to get back in, but I'll continue to hold off until the next major update.

Anyway, this is good news compared to the negativity and claims that the game will stop being supported and updated that have been floating around the main forums.
It's time to give this another go.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 am

The future looks bright CMDRs.
"always look to the bright side of life"
o7

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 am

June 27th for the go-live of the point update with a beta before. Two weeks for a short beta perhaps?
That gives me a couple of weeks to get the last bit of Fed rank I need and start building the Corvette I want for when the Thargoids start showing up. Although I would guess that will be the evolving content for 2.4 which is going to still be a few months away?
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements!

I hope this is worth waiting for, and they really do keep improving the game and adding new features for years to come. I haven't played in weeks and have been itching to get back in, but I'll continue to hold off until the next major update.

Anyway, this is good news compared to the negativity and claims that the game will stop being supported and updated that have been floating around the main forums.

I am really hoping that this will contain more for the trading, exploring, mining etc. Especially exploring as I have been wanting to dive back out but don't really see the point as there is nothing to actually do. Sure I can land on planets but thats it, drive a bit, get some materials but that is all. Why can't the surface scanners find areas of interest that can be explored with the SRV. Maybe deposits of precious metals or some such. Just something :)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

I think this sounds very positive. Focusing on core gameplay fixes is what is much needed now, instead of dishing out new features.
I think that line of thinking is quite promising.

And the Anaconda cockpit rework shows that FDev really does listen to critizism. I am very, very happy about that change.

Loki12345
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Loki12345 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 am

I think with this change of direction they go the right way. We have a lot of gameplay in the game, just the game-mechanics lack a lot. If they now start improving this instead of pushing out new content i think they'll do right.

We will see whats coming. I still love the game even with its flaws. Never had such a grat time in a space game.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Fri May 26, 2017 7:49 am

I am also glad to see the next update being concentrated on core game play.

I think ED Commanders was a release pushed forwards to be able to keep pace with other space games coming onto the market. Its difficult to compete with other games that seemingly offer more and advertise more, but now ED can advertise the same type of action, but its a bit like an inflated balloon with empty space behind it. I think they are on the right track.

We all know here that ED is the best of the rest, but to prospective customers just looking at the screen shots and video clips, ED has to be able to shown the same type of action.

Return to “News and Announcements”