The place for you to catch the latest news
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

2.4 and Ship Nameplates explained

Postby Loriath » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Ed Lewis made a post explaining ship naming and nameplates after several post of speculation and infering from comments made in the PAX streams regarding it.

Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work
Hi everyone,

There’s been a number of questions from Commanders regarding ship naming and how ship name plates will work so we wanted to give you a little more information about how these features will work when they’re released.

In-game ship naming

When you have named your ship in-game, your ship name will appear in multicrew grouping and in your HUD. In addition to this, in beta 5, when other people scan you, or target you in space they will be able to see your ship name in their UI. This feature will be available for all players of Elite Dangerous (both base game and Horizons players) including Xbox One, upcoming PS4 release and PC Commanders.

Cosmetic Ship Name Plates

The ship name plates will offer an added layer of cosmetic personalisation for Commanders wanting to wear their name with pride, much like paint jobs and other cosmetics currently available in the store.

Name plates will be made available in themed packs. These packs will contain three designs, each of which will be available in three colours: black, white, and grey. This makes a total of 9 nameplates per pack. After purchase, each pack will be available for use across all of your ships (Ship launched fighters and SRVs don’t have name plates) and each pack of 9 variant plates will be coming into store at just £2/€2.5/$3. This means that purchasing one pack of name plates will allow you to use that style across all of your current and future ships, at the same time and rename each individual ship as many times as you like. We believe this flexibility offers Commanders great value and is a great way to help support the continued development of Elite Dangerous.

Thanks!

My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 2.4 and Ship Nameplates explained

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Sounds good.

I will probably get them all....

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:07 pm

What is 2.5 Euros when your about to spend 1000 for the 1080Ti... :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Lebowsky
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lebowsky Lebowsky

Postby Lebowsky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Agreed.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T235 mit Tapatalk

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

pargyrak wrote:What is 2.5 Euros when your about to spend 1000 for the 1080Ti... :)

Still trying not too......

I do suspect to fail one day though.

Which isn't all that good cause in all honesty, my entire apartment needs to get gutted and spruced up.
My kitchen for instance is from the 70's at best, in and of itself nothing I would care about.
But mice have gotten to the corners and a fair few of the boards are rotting up....

But gpu's are always more fun...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Yeah, I heard Sandro say in the stream that other players would not see your ship name if you didn't buy a name plate and I thought WTF! :cry:

I'm glad they got the clarification out there so soon.

So far, I haven't seen a name plate style worth paying for - they are all just plain text. But maybe they will more stylized versions available - something like you'd see on the back of a speedboat. I guess they will be adding graphic options, but I'd rather have different fonts.
It's time to give this another go.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 pm

TorTorden wrote:
pargyrak wrote:What is 2.5 Euros when your about to spend 1000 for the 1080Ti... :)

Which isn't all that good cause in all honesty, my entire apartment needs to get gutted and spruced up.
My kitchen for instance is from the 70's at best, in and of itself nothing I would care about.
But mice have gotten to the corners and a fair few of the boards are rotting up....

Well you need to fix this up...after the 1080Ti :) Too bad they do not sell it yet where I live or else..... the baby room would be placed on hold :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Yeah, I heard Sandro say in the stream that other players would not see your ship name if you didn't buy a name plate and I thought WTF! :cry:

I'm glad they got the clarification out there so soon.

So far, I haven't seen a name plate style worth paying for - they are all just plain text. But maybe they will more stylized versions available - something like you'd see on the back of a speedboat. I guess they will be adding graphic options, but I'd rather have different fonts.

I don't think it was a clarification, I think it was a u-turn, the live stream wasn't the only placed it was mentioned, it seems that backlash was so strong that FD changed tack. Not criticising this, it's good that they listen and respond, but it does seem that they are 'testing the water' to see what they can and can't get away with.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 pm

pargyrak wrote:
TorTorden wrote:

Well you need to fix this up...after the 1080Ti :) Too bad they do not sell it yet where I live or else..... the baby room would be placed on hold :)

Well, they're not in stock, still pre order for when stock come in at the end of the month, start of april, which also happens to coincide with my birthday...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Xebeth wrote:I don't think it was a clarification, I think it was a u-turn, the live stream wasn't the only placed it was mentioned, it seems that backlash was so strong that FD changed tack. Not criticising this, it's good that they listen and respond, but it does seem that they are 'testing the water' to see what they can and can't get away with.

Maybe, and it wouldn't surprise me if they flip-flopped, but I'd swear that at first they said that ship names would appear in the HUD, but not at first, and that you'd need to buy name plates if you wanted the name on your ship. I assumed the wait was because they would need to check and censor the names (an automated system) - this title isn't mature, is it? You know people will try to get away with disgusting names. Has anyone tried a dirty name, btw? :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “News and Announcements”