Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

2.3 The Commanders News from FD

Postby Loriath » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:19 pm

In this post : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... Dev-Update

2.3 Dev Update
Hi everyone,

As mentioned in a previous news and updates post confirming the release date for beta, we've got a new Dev Update for you today from Lead Designer, Sandro Sammarco. Read on to find out more about what's coming in 2.3.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello Commanders!
Now that the dust is settling on the interim update, I wanted to give you a more detailed heads up on what we’re currently working on next.

The first feature I want to discuss for 2.3 is Multicrew – the ability to join up with Commanders on the same ship and enjoy space adventures as a crew. In this post, I’ll summarise what you can expect from this exciting new update, in terms of structure and supporting features.
Please note that before now and release, some details may still change, as we’re currently in the thick of implementing this feature!

Setting up Multicrew
Fundamentally, Multicrew is about having fun with friends, so we want to make sure there are as few barriers to enjoying this feature as possible, starting with the crew formation process. We want to make it as easy as possible to start having fun on a multicrew ship.

As long as their ship has enough seats (different ships have different multicrew capabilities) a Commander can directly invite players, or can set their vessel to allow multicrew access. Commanders looking to play as crew can either accept direct invites, or activate a new “looking for ship” feature, which will automatically place them as crew on a suitable vessel with multicrew access allowed, making the process quick and painless.

When joining a crew, a Commander will log out of their current vessel and transfer to the multicrew vessel, regardless of distance. They can also leave at any time (or be evicted by the ship’s owner) at which point they can return to where their ship was last, making the whole affair a very friendly, drop in – drop out procedure.

Helm, Gunner and Fighter Con Roles
The ship’s owner always takes the role of helm, piloting the vessel and operating fixed and gimballed weaponry. They also control NPC fighter pilots. There can be up to two additional crewmembers, depending on the vessel, who can perform roles to enhance the ability of the ship. Players can also simply come along for the ride, with the pilot in a mentoring role. The helm also retains control over distribution of power, navigation, and synthesis.

The gunner role allows a crewmember to take control of all turreted weapons on the ship. They do not need to jump between turret views though. Using a third person interface, they control a reticule that all turrets within their arc will automatically follow; giving them improved spatial awareness and easy control of all turreted weapons. They also have access to two “quick slot” fire buttons, in addition to normal fire groups, that they can customize with modules, allowing them more options for activating weapons and scanners.

Furthermore, the gunner has access to advanced sensor systems, allowing them three hundred and sixty degree tracking arcs. This lets them activate advanced scanners (such as the kill warrant scanner) and missile launchers in any direction.

The fighter con role lets a crewmember launch and control a fighter, even if the helm has already launched a fighter using NPC crew. This allows multicrew ships to have two fighters active at a time. In addition, if the ship has enough fighters, both crewmembers can take on the fighter con role, meaning three human controlled ships can be flying at the same time.

Crewmembers can switch roles dynamically as they see fit. The ship owner is always the helmsman.

Additional Multicrew Benefits and Rules
Every crewmember also has access to a power distributor pip that they can assign dynamically. This is in addition to the standard pips that the helm controls. This extra power distribution allows the ship to operate more effectively, increasing its capabilities in combat.

Ship re-buy premiums are also reduced for each crewmember. Again, the purpose with this is to lower the bar to access and ease of use, especially when dealing with vessels that can cost a lot of credits.

All bounties and vouchers that the helmsman (ship owner) receives are duplicated for each crewmember, making multicrew a great way to have fun with friends without missing out on money-making opportunities.

However, as they share the benefits, so too do they share the punishments. Any crime that the ship suffers is applied to all crewmembers equally. But when a Commander leaves or ends a session, the crew will have the option of avoiding taking the crimes with them, but in doing so, will lose all credits earned. It will be their choice.

Commander Creator

And supporting multicrew in 2.3 is the Commander Creator. Commanders will be able to create a unique avatar using a wide variety of options, finally putting a face and character to their name. And with a new, fully-fledged camera system, they’ll be able to view themselves and their crew in real time as they adventure across the galaxy.

-------------------------------------------------------
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Re: 2.3 The Commanders News from FD

Postby de Carabas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:32 pm

I quite like the sound of multiple CMDR controlled SLF's launching from the one ship in combat. Sounds a lot of fun. Also sounds like an ideal opportunity for the A Team to screw up badly. I look forward to the videos :)
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

SLF part is worrying. You invite someone to your ship.. Give him the fighter role.. First thing he does is shoots other commanders, now you both are wanted.. Helmsman logs out, crewmember decides not to take the credits and wanted tag. Looks like you are the only criminal now.

Remains to be seen how this goes.. And if this happens, how do you prove that it was crewmember cmdr X that shot the cmdr Y and not you.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby pargyrak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Frankly I do not see this multicrew being very popular. Everyone wants to be independent. That said, it can be fun flying into a war zone in a wing of 4 with 2 fighters each. 12 players total gunning down poor Eagles :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:SLF part is worrying. You invite someone to your ship.. Give him the fighter role.. First thing he does is shoots other commanders, now you both are wanted.. Helmsman logs out, crewmember decides not to take the credits and wanted tag. Looks like you are the only criminal now.

Remains to be seen how this goes.. And if this happens, how do you prove that it was crewmember cmdr X that shot the cmdr Y and not you.

That's why I don't see this working except among players that already know each other for a while, so there's is some established trust. At least that's how I intend to behave.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:23 pm

From what I read it sounds like you can launch one player controlled fighter and one npc, not two player controlled fighters.

And for people who actually can fly their ships and put decent guns on, multi crew still doesn't make turrets sound like a good idea, what the hell would a gunner do?
Run my KW scanner ?
Ooh boy what fun, people should be lining up for that.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

atraangelis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Caylus Harken

Postby atraangelis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:59 pm

I for one like the Multi Crew concept. I play in Mobius, so i expect those who play here as well share the same ideals.

My personal play group in OoM is quite small 3 folks. so going out in a freinds Anaconda, as a crew while we hang out and play is an appealing prospect.

I really cant wait and hope they allow crewmen to take out an SRV, that would be absolutely awesome.. Land, disembark as a crew!

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 pm

TorTorden wrote:From what I read it sounds like you can launch one player controlled fighter and one npc, not two player controlled fighters.

The fighter con role lets a crewmember launch and control a fighter, even if the helm has already launched a fighter using NPC crew. This allows multicrew ships to have two fighters active at a time. In addition, if the ship has enough fighters, both crewmembers can take on the fighter con role, meaning three human controlled ships can be flying at the same time.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:11 pm

A missed that one.

I guess that's something.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

FilmExile
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: McNicholl

Postby FilmExile » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:26 pm

It certainly sounds a lot better than I had imagined. It could also make a nice break from exploration to jump into a multi-crew game and then back again

Return to “News and Announcements”