The place for you to catch the latest news
Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 2.3 The Commanders News from FD

Postby Falcon_D » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am

Well, this 2.3 update isn't really for me.
I play this game to fly my ship, where I want, when I want. Not to play Spaceship Manager.
Not interested in being someone's crew.
And I'm sure as hell, not interested in taking on crew. If I wanted to meet up with my online friends, I'll fly over to the system they're in and we can wing up.
As for SLFs. Tried them. Not as much fun as I thought they would be, so I don't carry any on my Corvette anymore.
I like the Commander Creator though.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:38 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Telengo wrote:Can't say I am looking forward to this, I would have liked some form of NPC crew members to make the ship feel fuller. As I don't tend to see many other Cmdr's about due to the times I play. But my main gripe is that people complained when you could have a ship delivered to you instantly and everybody complained that it broke the feel of the game. And quite rightly you have to wait a time depending on distance etc. So what do they make this so you can instantly move to a friends ship which could be anywhere in the galaxy.

i know its a game, but it seems they have ignored the fact people want some form of realism.

Oh well at least I get to create my Cmdr, am looking forward to that.

As for immersion I agree.

But on a game play level, this is the only way this feature could work AT ALL !

I'm not super stoked about this, honestly I was more excited about the interim patch features and bug fixes than this malarkey.

Yeah, whatever you do, don't fight Sandro on this or he'll bring the hammer down on you like he did with ship transfers.

Honestly, I'd really rather have NPC crew that automatically carry out instructions - like bugging out if it's getting too hairy. Or maybe a quick command to high wake out w/o needing to fumble with the nav panel and etc.

I do like the idea of serving as crew, but on a capitol ship - think wing commander. And even a gunner could be fun. You get all the turrets and advanced 360 degree scanners. So you get to identify targets and fire weapons, while the pilot is bobbing and weaving and firing the fixed and gimballed guns. And I already know flying a SLF is fun. But what do you do in the down time? Other than meeting up and going instantly into a RES or CZ, I can't imaging just hanging out trading, exploring, or doing most missions.

The commander creator could be fun, especially if it translates into the body in VR. And I can't wait to try on some spiffing red eyebrows. And please - no pay for extras!

What I'd really rather have is persistent ship damage.
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:50 pm

I voted against a delay on ship transfer.

If I wanted to wait twelve hours to do anything i would have kept on playing eve online.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:09 pm

I voted for a delay - but because I actually wanted the option to have a real person fly the ship. Or maybe to fly real commanders to their ship as a taxi service. Of course, that's for nearby bubble stuff - not flying out to Colonia. So that would normally be minutes - not hours. I'd also expect a reasonable cost- not tens of millions of credits.

But that's also game play, which Sandro doesn't seem too interested in. Other examples are tele-presence in fighters (that have seats!) and instantly switching between roles. I believe better game play would have involved occupying a fighter, and if blown up, needing to scoop the pilot before launching him again. And if you're in the fighter and want to fly the main ship again, then dock the fighter first. Just IMHO, of course.

Greylock3491
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greylock3491

Postby Greylock3491 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I do like the idea of serving as crew, but on a capitol ship - think wing commander. And even a gunner could be fun. You get all the turrets and advanced 360 degree scanners. So you get to identify targets and fire weapons, while the pilot is bobbing and weaving and firing the fixed and gimballed guns. And I already know flying a SLF is fun. But what do you do in the down time? Other than meeting up and going instantly into a RES or CZ, I can't imaging just hanging out trading, exploring, or doing most missions.

Me too. My friends and I wing up and run the RESs and CZs, but this update will give us more co-op stuff to do.

I also think it would really be cool if you could hire an NPC to pilot your ship on a long series of jumps while you "virtually" sit down with your two fighter pilots and gunner and play some poker or four way chess or something like that lol. Well, until you get to your destination system and are done with Hyperspace. Or if you got interdicted, then everyone can jump back in their seats and fight the ship!

Just like Luke's first trip in the Falcon...

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:28 pm

It would give you a chance to catch up with Galnet.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:36 pm

I missed the live stream but noted that CMDR Barking Mad (one of the two of that name) has been summarising changes as they did for 2.2 https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.co ... 3-preview/
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 pm

de Carabas wrote:I missed the live stream but noted that CMDR Barking Mad (one of the two of that name) has been summarising changes as they did for 2.2 https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.co ... 3-preview/

You can watch it here.

What I've wanted for the longest time is the ability to zoom way out in the debug camera, so it's nice to finally get that, although I don't take too many pics these days.

The commander creator looks good, but I can't make myself a grimy garbage scow captain in dirty overalls and long greasy hair - maybe in the store. But it will be nice to have a body match in VR and see yourself in the chair - with a head!

I also like that there will be big ships. I didn't care too much for the one they showed - I thought it looked too much like a station. But there are supposed to be several varieties so I'll look forward to seeing those.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 am

And FD has manage to completely.

Not suprise me.

Character creator looks just as much as an awkward character creator has done since Oblivion and featured been every semi RPG for the last 15 years.
Congrats FD you are embracing the norm.

As for the mega ships, well of course they look like stations.
The only difference between a mega ship and a station is whether they are moving around a planetary body or several.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm

TorTorden wrote:Character creator looks just as much as an awkward character creator has done since Oblivion and featured been every semi RPG for the last 15 years.
Congrats FD you are embracing the norm.

I saw the same livefeed and saw the complete opposite.

FD has succeeded in elegantly reducing a huge number of potential variables to a manageable collection that is simple to manage and implement without the result looking like a photofit paste-up. The apparently natural facial and body movements were impressive and it's difficult to see how the design parameters could be improved given current technology and the constraints under which they have to be employed.

Probably overkill for the current use in game though and some horrendous boy racer leathers.

Return to “News and Announcements”