2.3 The Commanders News from FD

The place for you to catch the latest news
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 2.3 The Commanders News from FD

Postby smartroad » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:06 pm

I have little issue with the turret view or the instant 'transfer'.

The turret view can easily be explained as the ship using its sensors to generate a full 360 degree image of everything around it. It can then insert a 3D view of itself (as was mentioned in the stream so that you can stay orientated) and there you are. Actually something similar was done years ago in one of the follow-up titles about the Rangers. In that the fire control was done using a holographic chamber where the gunner floated in the middle and used her arms to fire the ships weapons. Was very impressive and a brilliant solution to controlling the weapons on a ship where the attacks can come from anywhere.

The instant transfer is simply teleprescence. In one of the books it was said there is hyperspace communications and that can be used to send the data around at FTL speeds.

Both explanations work for me and how I make them integrate into the Elite universe. They are consistent and believable to me so do not upset my immersion in the game :D
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Walter wrote:
de Carabas wrote:My key take-away message was that if the A Team are in a multicrew ship, avoid the area at all costs as carnage is likely to follow in their wake. Not through the destruction of NPC foes, more from the confusion around who is flying what...... :D

I suspect that we'll all be safe - all the carnage will be occurring on board their ship. Too much imagination - make the thought go away. Think of something nice, like Thargoids or something

Hold that image Walter.......Hold that image......

Then add a Habanero.......Some whipped cream and a monkey.......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 am

Link to Obsidian Ant's multi-crew video. Well worth the time to watch, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCXg10 ... OTAyMjAxNw
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:16 pm

I think there was a couple of errors in his video, I believe that the history tab isn't restricted to just multi-crew sessions, and as far as I recall you can have both crew members pilot SLFs (assuming you have two bays and a ship with three seats), that aside a good summary.

The SLFs part I can see working, I'm just struggling with the turrets, not the implementation (that's just sensors, cameras, and handwaveium), but the actual point of it.

Firstly if you are flying a combat rigged ship you are going to be using fixed or gimballed, turrets just lose too much power in comparison, secondly if you are in something that does need turrets (a slow trader for example) would you actually hang around for a fight, and even if you do, is a person going to be that much better than the auto-targeting?

I can see the use of the scanning, the gunner could be lining up the next target allowing the pilot to jump from kill to kill, but that's a role that going to get dull very quickly, missiles, yeh, maybe.

I would have liked to have seen something clever with shields, have an role where you can alter the focus of the shields making one area stronger at the cost of other areas, or an Engineer that can do mid-combat running repairs, but you never know, perhaps these are things to come.

Personally, I'm more interested in the other stuff, I like the character creator (because I like that kind of stuff), the new chat box looks good, ship naming (finally, minor but important to me at least), and there is obviously other stuff as yet unmentioned.

The gunner role aside, I think it's lining up to be a good patch.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 pm

After watching Ant's video, I was reminded of the new communications panel, which may be the best improvement of this patch, along with the commander creator.

And with ship naming, I want that painted on my ship - not just electronically. The should offer dozens of fonts and sizes, and even allow you to upload custom graphics. But they may need to make it so only you can see it.
It's time to give this another go.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Yet again this bloody game has cost me money.....

2.3 = New camera Mode = New 5TB External hard drive........

Coz main box is yet again full.......

Looking forward to mucking about with this new mode......

With this and multi-crew.......Sheesh.....

The A-Team is gonna reach new heights...... :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Yet again this bloody game has cost me money.....

2.3 = New camera Mode = New 5TB External hard drive........

Coz main box is yet again full.......

Looking forward to mucking about with this new mode......

With this and multi-crew.......Sheesh.....

The A-Team is gonna reach new heights...... :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Heh, I have also grabbed a 5tb external, although I'm not using it for recording.
I'm stuffing blueray rips on it, and hooking it up to my bd player directly.
Last edited by TorTorden on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Ahhhhhh....

THAT explains the pallet of Kleenex in the hallway then.......

:D

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Xebeth wrote:Firstly if you are flying a combat rigged ship you are going to be using fixed or gimballed, turrets just lose too much power in comparison, secondly if you are in something that does need turrets (a slow trader for example) would you actually hang around for a fight, and even if you do, is a person going to be that much better than the auto-targeting?

Thats always been my problem with the submit, boost, jump idea, it is so passive. I have always longed for the ship to be able to spool-up the FSD while the weapons are out so you can defend yourself while prepping to jump. The ship will not jump until the weapons are fully retracted and while it is holding the FSD in a charged state it is building up heat as well so you can't just spool-up and wait to jump if the battle starts to go the wrong way (heat should build up quite quickly too).

If you could have the weapons out then it makes more sense while you are waiting for the FSD to spool and have another crew member firing while you search for a system to jump into (if doing long jump).

If the ship was real and mine I would find someone who could override that lockout straight away, stupid idea as you are a sitting duck while the drive spools up!
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Sitting duck = Mid upper gunner on a Lancaster.....

Uncle Fred was one........

Shot down twice.......

He was one Lucky bastard....

:)

Return to “News and Announcements”