Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Ship Transfer Poll Results

Postby Darr Valen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Walter wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:Ships that show visual damage is not something that only a minecraft style game like Space Engineers can and should do. I've owned Space Engineers from the start. It's not E:D. There's no reason E:D can't do such small things over the long run.

It was promised for ED some time ago. I'll try and find the reference and pictures.

Found this so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... -Dangerous
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost2979012

Thanks! I expected it would get added at some point. Elite is that long haul trip that adds to itself as it goes. I'm totally okay with that, since it allows me to play an ever evolving game. Elite is like the WoW of Space Sims. It's going to be unrecognizable in 5 years, as it will have changed and improved with our living galaxy.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 pm

It depends on how it gets changed. You and I agree on some changes that we didn't welcome, but there will be others . . .

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby *Al* » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:19 am

Darr Valen wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
Phillipus wrote:Frontier asked the players what they wanted in a poll.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” - Henry Ford

Fact is, those whole feature is a utterly impact less on the game.
This game is pretty much in dire need of credit sinks. I only really need one corvette and with engineering mods buying multiples really isn't a worthy undertaking at all.

In fact fd might realised this hardly made a difference either way, so why not throw Internet idjits a poll and do that.

I mostly voted instant since I don't want 2.2 to be any further delayed and I have a tiny hope THEY FUCKING FIX WINGS ALREADY!

What we need is those giant ships that we've been teased for well over a year now.. I'm off playing other stuff, since I'm a bit bored grinding engineers, and I own all the top ships, and most of the ships as a whole. I'd love to have an actual corvette class or even a frigate.. Elite suffers from a lack of ships, and I hope they rectify this. I get *why* there are so few ships, but in theory, there should be hundreds of different ships in a universe this varied. I mean, we have different empires that run 4-5 ships. I'd be hard pressed to find even a small modern navy with that few of ship classes.

Again, I get why we don't have so many ships. Elite is a marathon, not a sprint. But it's well passed time to add in that new credit sink, as you said. I'd absolutely love to be able to buy an outpost, or work towards owning a percentage of a station in investments. It would be a nice/steady potential income stream and would also motivate people to trade between their stations.. it could help populate the world a bit more, if you could spend 3-5 billion credits to get an outpost spun up and shipped out, or combine resources, pay 500 billion-1 trillion, and get and entire cuboid or orbis sent out into the black.

Before anyone says "that's too large a number", it really isn't. Any Elite trader has hit passed 1 billion credits on their own. A large organization of motivated people could make 1 trillion credits well within a year. If I spent 3-6 hours a day trading hard, I could hit that total easily in 30-60 days. Only 1000 motivated traders would be required, et voila, you have your own station spun up and sent out into the black.

To avoid stagnation, Elite really has to start bringing in the cash sinks that EVE has successfully introduced. I don't want mouse click gaming, but EVE does give you very long term goals to work towards.

We have a fluid market system in place for commodities, would it be a huge leap in code to make this a financial Stock Market?

I know one Commander has about 13, I told myself I would stop at three (and did not), we really need something to put the cash into.

What's a rich boy to do......?

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 am

*Al* wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
Fact is, those whole feature is a utterly impact less on the game.
This game is pretty much in dire need of credit sinks. I only really need one corvette and with engineering mods buying multiples really isn't a worthy undertaking at all.

In fact fd might realised this hardly made a difference either way, so why not throw Internet idjits a poll and do that.

I mostly voted instant since I don't want 2.2 to be any further delayed and I have a tiny hope THEY FUCKING FIX WINGS ALREADY!

What we need is those giant ships that we've been teased for well over a year now.. I'm off playing other stuff, since I'm a bit bored grinding engineers, and I own all the top ships, and most of the ships as a whole. I'd love to have an actual corvette class or even a frigate.. Elite suffers from a lack of ships, and I hope they rectify this. I get *why* there are so few ships, but in theory, there should be hundreds of different ships in a universe this varied. I mean, we have different empires that run 4-5 ships. I'd be hard pressed to find even a small modern navy with that few of ship classes.

Again, I get why we don't have so many ships. Elite is a marathon, not a sprint. But it's well passed time to add in that new credit sink, as you said. I'd absolutely love to be able to buy an outpost, or work towards owning a percentage of a station in investments. It would be a nice/steady potential income stream and would also motivate people to trade between their stations.. it could help populate the world a bit more, if you could spend 3-5 billion credits to get an outpost spun up and shipped out, or combine resources, pay 500 billion-1 trillion, and get and entire cuboid or orbis sent out into the black.

Before anyone says "that's too large a number", it really isn't. Any Elite trader has hit passed 1 billion credits on their own. A large organization of motivated people could make 1 trillion credits well within a year. If I spent 3-6 hours a day trading hard, I could hit that total easily in 30-60 days. Only 1000 motivated traders would be required, et voila, you have your own station spun up and sent out into the black.

To avoid stagnation, Elite really has to start bringing in the cash sinks that EVE has successfully introduced. I don't want mouse click gaming, but EVE does give you very long term goals to work towards.

We have a fluid market system in place for commodities, would it be a huge leap in code to make this a financial Stock Market?

I know one Commander has about 13, I told myself I would stop at three (and did not), we really need something to put the cash into.

What's a rich boy to do......?

And that's the thing. It wouldn't unduly influence or prohibit a players' ability to play the game anyway.. Owning stock in a station, especially one you're heavily invested in, doesn't mean you control the station. I'd much rather see stations as an investment compared to "oh FDEV can we please have a station for our group?". I'm a firm believer in earning what you get in games, and it would be that cash sink that many are looking for. Besides, a game like Elite needs a bit of grind to keep you engaged. Nothing to do is what kills games. If the cash sink continues to be "buy this new ship that's marginally better or worse".. that's just unsustainable.

X3 did many things right, and many things egosoft ignored when they made their new game.. But the ability to create, move, and setup stations was certainly one of the good things. Star Citizen will have cargo tugs. X3 had them. Just feels like the ability to move massive amounts of mass is missing, since everything to date is station focused. But even within the game already, not every ship can dock everywhere. Large ships are always Outpost restricted. So it's not unprecedented to have a ship that's too large to dock. I for one would welcome shipyards or external docking in a new form of credit sink.

If you don't move forward, you're already moving back.

Return to “News and Announcements”