The place for you to catch the latest news
Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

IMPORTANT, OFFICIAL SHIP TRANSFER POLL

Postby Xebeth » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:30 pm

FD have officially asked for people's opinions on the ship and module transfer and whether it should have a time delay.

Here is the link to the official message.

And here is the transcript

Sandro Sammarco
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default IMPORTANT, OFFICIAL SHIP TRANSFER POLL

Hello Commanders!

We’ve had a big response from you folk about 2.2 regarding ship transfer, so first things first, thanks for all of the feedback! It’s always extremely useful, and helps us make more informed decisions.

It can also sometimes kick start or reignite discussions, by effectively bringing new evidence into circulation, allowing us to re-examine issues with a broader perspective.

We’re very happy and excited to be bringing ship transfer into Elite: Dangerous, as we feel that it offers dramatic improvements to game play, by allowing Commanders more freedom to have the right tools (ships) at the right place.

However, there’s clearly a lot of folk that are not so happy about our choice of implementation: specifically the concept that your ships can be summoned to your current starport instantly. Whilst most folk seem to be on board with the idea of transporting ships to your location, the time transfer takes has raised some concerns.

Clearly, the benefit of instant transfer is that, assuming you have the credit funds, you always have the appropriate ship to hand at all times. I will summarise for reference the main concerns that have been raised about having instant ship transfer:

* Instant transfer is likely to have a less plausible/desirable explanation for how the feature works in game lore.
* Instant transfer will lessen the need to have decent frame shift drives in ships other than one, “main” explorer type vessel.
* Instant ship transfer will remove any potential game play from deciding when/if transfer should be initiated.
* Instant ship transfer undermines the scale of the galaxy.

These are interesting arguments that have got us talking about this feature in the office once more.

After much debate, we are coming around to the idea of having a delivery time for transferred ships. It also follows, that if we have delivery times for ship transfer, we should have them for module transfer as well, as both actions use the same concept. But before we go ahead with this, we want to take a final reading, as it were.

So we’re going to run a simple, official poll. I know that there’s already been one, which has had lots of responses; think of this as a final safety alert.

As with all polls, it would take a significant majority of a large voting base for us to take the results as anything more than interesting anecdotal evidence, so I’d like to stress that if you have a strong opinion on this issue, please vote, and tell your Elite playing buddies to vote as well.

We’ll run the poll until Monday next week. *Unless there is a significant, majority vote against ship transfer delivery times, along with a high turnout*, we will likely be moving towards implementing plausible delays into ship and module transfer, though such a change may affect when the features comes online.

I’ve tried to make the poll as straightforward as possible, with just two options, please take a moment to read through them before you vote. Basically, it comes down to instant travel versus delivery times. We’re not very interested in having minor delays just for the sake of appearances – if there’s to be a delay, it should try to be roughly appropriate to a bulk freighter’s ability: reasonably slow compared to an explorer type vessel, but able to reach any destination – eventually.

Note there will always be a credit cost component to ship transfer, though it will likely be lower if there is also a delivery time component.

Also note that the delivery times used in the poll (5m minutes and 100 minutes) do not preclude further travel outside the human bubble, say to Jaques, with an appropriate increase in time.

Thank you for your participation!

The poll itself can be reached at this URL: https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/shiptransfer-vote/

for your convenience, the options in the poll are are shown below:

POLL: Should transferring ships and modules to your location take time?

OPTION 1: No, the transfer should be instant.

OPTION 2: Yes there should be a delay of 5 minutes minimum, 100 minutes to cross the human bubble, edge to edge.

Here is the link again Vote
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: IMPORTANT, OFFICIAL SHIP TRANSFER POLL

Postby Darwin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Just spotted that as well. Would have liked more / different options, but voted option 2.

Option 3 - take as long as it takes the ship to manually be piloted there, taking into account its FSD range, but allow it to happen while logged out. Order today, delivered by the time you login tomorrow sort of timescale.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:49 pm

I voted 2 as well, would have liked a longer delay, but hey anything is better than nothing, and more importantly it shows they listen, actually I've always thought they listen, there's lots of examples of them changing stuff after getting feedback, sometimes they're just a bit slow.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Darwin wrote:Just spotted that as well. Would have liked more / different options, but voted option 2.

Option 3 - take as long as it takes the ship to manually be piloted there, taking into account its FSD range, but allow it to happen while logged out. Order today, delivered by the time you login tomorrow sort of timescale.

I think that's basically what option 2 is, although maybe a bit longer due to using a bulk freighter. I think I'd like the option to hire a pilot to fly my ship for extra credits, rather than use the bulk freighter. I'd also like to see the bulk freighters in game.
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Such sarcasm, Tor!

Option 2 for me also; something about instant didn't sit right with me.
I like the idea of hiring a pilot though, there could be a random chance that your ship would arrive slightly damaged and the pilot would be all grovelling lol

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:36 pm

RD-83 wrote:Such sarcasm, Tor!

Option 2 for me also; something about instant didn't sit right with me.
I like the idea of hiring a pilot though, there could be a random chance that your ship would arrive slightly damaged and the pilot would be all grovelling lol

Hey sarcasm and alcohol. It is all I have.
That and a family tree consisting of, nazis murderers, sexual deviants and a saint.
Not to mention we was apparently big in shipping during the 18th and 19th century...

So yeah they where probably also slave traders...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:47 pm

TorTorden wrote:That and a family tree consisting of, nazis murderers, sexual deviants and a saint.

Hooda Guessed.....

THAT.........

Explains a LOT.......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
TorTorden wrote:That and a family tree consisting of, nazis murderers, sexual deviants and a saint.

Hooda Guessed.....

THAT.........

Explains a LOT.......

:D

Yeah my dear old grandmama.
Also known as "That nazi-communist bitch is your grandmother?"

I cracked another bottle of wine.
Does it tell?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:14 pm

TorTorden wrote:So yeah they where probably also slave traders...

Guys gotta make an honest living...

Return to “News and Announcements”