de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Gamescom 2016 - Elite Dangerous info

Postby de Carabas » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Sweeeeeet! Many thanks.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Skipp » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:04 pm

The full message (all the codes from all the interviews so far) is:

We've found something. Something incredible. Something the whole galaxy will want to see. The truth.
To find us, look for a bounty hunter.
To find more clues you'll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts, three rings, and enough radiation to turn you green.
The hunt begins on the 28th.
ImageImage

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:51 pm

de Carabas wrote:I'm still hopeful that in the same way you can pay fines remotely you can pick up bounties that way too. Requested that months ago and it would really help.

This is now confirmed. Good stuff!
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:05 am

Ship transfer coming, good news. I don't care whether it's instant, I've spent 18 months playing this game using Hauler taxis, and I'm sick of doing that. Bring it on.

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:04 am

The thing with instant-transport... I understand why it's "immersion" breaking for some people BUT - this is a game after all. Some things should not be tedious. Yes - this might drop the variety of player ships we encounter in space (everyone using high-jumprange ships to travel), but it also might increase the players actually playing.

I know sometimes I wanted to do something or join a friend in a RES site but i really didn't want to jump 40 jumps in a 13-14ly jumprange fighter.

Also - this is obviously not mandatory. If you don't want to "break your immersion" - you can just continue flying as it is now.

However - i think the best middle-ground would be instant transfer of ships to stations that actually HAVE the ship you want to transfer in their shipyard. That way (lore-wise) you can actually take one of their ships and they just toil away your original.

So, instant transfer of a cutter won't be possible in Azrael since Mobius station doesn't have it. But the next system might
ImageImage

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:13 am

Skipp wrote: i think the best middle-ground would be instant transfer of ships to stations that actually HAVE the ship you want to transfer in their shipyard. That way (lore-wise) you can actually take one of their ships and they just toil away your original.

That is the best suggestion I've seen on this topic. The thought of reducing ED to what would be essentially point-and-click magic is really depressing, but this is a reasonable compromise.

Have you thought about posting it on the main forum? Like all contentious issues, arguments are very long, but: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... Yay-or-Nay

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:33 am

Walter wrote:
Skipp wrote: i think the best middle-ground would be instant transfer of ships to stations that actually HAVE the ship you want to transfer in their shipyard. That way (lore-wise) you can actually take one of their ships and they just toil away your original.

That is the best suggestion I've seen on this topic. The thought of reducing ED to what would be essentially point-and-click magic is really depressing, but this is a reasonable compromise.

Have you thought about posting it on the main forum? Like all contentious issues, arguments are very long, but: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... Yay-or-Nay

Whole heartedly agree.. Go with it Skipp.
My understanding of Fighters was that you sacrifice jump range or something for an enhanced fighting ability.. the "Trade Off".
Ho hum..

o7 Dawg
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:39 pm

In 21 months, I've maybe used a taxi half a dozen times at most. And each time it was way less than 1/2 hour there, and then 1/2 hour back - probably closer to 1/2 hour for the round trip. So timed ship transfer could take about 1/2 that time, and for relatively close transfers, I guess I wouldn't really mind if it was instant. If I wanted to join somebody in a wing, I guess I'd actually appreciate it, but I mostly just move ships from where I dropped them off when I bought something new and It could take a week and I wouldn't care. So I'd really like the ability to transfer a ship from any station to any other station.

But when it comes to instantly transferring ships tens of thousands of light years, I really hate that (and I hate Sandro for it - and all the other crap he's flung at us). I'm willing to sacrifice some realism for game play, but I'd like it to be consistent. If we're worried about the snowflakes thinking the game is too hard, why not just give everybody every ship with whatever weapons they want at every station - it's only a game. I think they are more likely to lose more long-time dedicated players to frustration with their immersion breaking ideas (3D printed fighters - really?) than gain 20-hour and move on new players because of them.
It's time to give this another go.

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Updated the main post with day 4 (no new info but binary messages fully decoded). Also - the twitter Q&A got an update with a few more questions answered today

Walter wrote:Have you thought about posting it on the main forum?

i just did :D
ImageImage

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Paint for Vettes and Cutters!! Whoot Whoot! :D
-JL

Discord Admin