The place for you to catch the latest news
Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: New Discord Server!

Postby Morgan Bateson » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:45 am

I think many people think Discord is like TS. I have to 'plan' my moments to use voice on chat or in game. With 3 kids running in the house.

So I normally don't use anything like TS. That is also why I ignored Mobius Discord server at first. Didn't even realize it was chat mostly and optional voice. So I thought well, at least have things setup in case I want to wing or something. And discovered the fun and joy of chatting with fellow commanders ;)

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Daniel Dakota » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

I installed Discord for The Distant Worlds Exped, have to say I'm quite impressed.

o7
DD

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:49 am

Anna wrote:Hiya, I've mostly active on the old discord server.
If you guys stop by and ever need any help with Discord or Elite stuff feel free to let me know with a @ tag in Discord.

Nice to see you on the message board, Judy. 8-)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Samantha Moore

Postby Samantha Moore » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:52 am

I do use the text chat from time to time. I am yet to use voice chat.
My reason are, well no wing for one. As I mostly do missions, exploration, and the usual lonely stuff. But there are also times cause of work. Bit hard to concentrate on voice coms, and my radio at the same time. Tried that before with the other games I play lol.
But saying all of that. I would be happy to give some other things in the game a try. I have spare cash. So I would be happy to buy a combat ship or something

Nyx
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Nyxa Lovell

Postby Nyx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:30 am

I had no idea there was a text chat as well, which is why I never looked into it as well! I will set it up tonight then :D

I must admit I'm no fan of the text chat built into most games, which is why I use Pidgin to chat in Star Trek Online.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:12 am

The text chat on our discord server has several benefits.

1) you get to laugh at and with people when things go wrong :lol:

2) you can make new friends

3) you can learn a LOT about E-D by asking questions or simply listening (albeit it's text) to the conversation that others are having. Case in point: several newer group members learned about Sothis / Ceos runs on Discord about 2 weeks before it was posted here, and got great ship loadout advice for those runs at the same time thanks to CMDR Judy. :)

4) if you are stuck on a problem in-game most likely you'll get a few ideas of how to overcome the issue very quickly.

It's absolutely worth setting up and taking a look!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Forked
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Forked

Postby Forked » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:42 am

Speaking of TS going down.. TS is down. Blame the admin for that server crash (that would be: me). :) It should be back up within 30 minutes.

edit: perhaps a bit more than 30 minutes.. :/
Last edited by Forked on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anna
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Judy

Postby Anna » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:07 pm

JohnLuke wrote:
Anna wrote:Hiya, I've been mostly active on the old discord server.
If you guys stop by and ever need any help with Discord or Elite stuff feel free to let me know with a @ tag in Discord.

Nice to see you on the message board, Judy. 8-)

Thought I'd drop by to say hi. :)

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Samantha Moore

Postby Samantha Moore » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:16 pm

JohnLuke wrote:The text chat on our discord server has several benefits.

1) you get to laugh at and with people when things go wrong :lol:

2) you can make new friends

3) you can learn a LOT about E-D by asking questions or simply listening (albeit it's text) to the conversation that others are having. Case in point: several newer group members learned about Sothis / Ceos runs on Discord about 2 weeks before it was posted here, and got great ship loadout advice for those runs at the same time thanks to CMDR Judy. :)

4) if you are stuck on a problem in-game most likely you'll get a few ideas of how to overcome the issue very quickly.

It's absolutely worth setting up and taking a look!

4 - In regards to number 4. My problem I had last night was solved. Thanks to the advice I had from the guys on discord. Not from the game devs, still waiting for a reply from them. So discord is a good thing. A really good thing in fact

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 pm

I can say that discord has been invaluable to me lately, being able to pick people's brains in real time. Between that and these forums, it's almost like I know what I'm doing.

Also, Anna/Judy is a very scary bunny, and she gives out combat and outfitting advice freely. We have explorers, traders, bounty hunters, smugglers, etc. Around on there for talking shop.

Or just complaining about FDev, and what changes they should make. :-D

Or off-topic chat in the social channel. Alt-tabbing over to discord helps keep me sane while scanning rocks on my way back to the bubble.

So it's totally optional, and compliments these forums (think of the forums as email and discord as instant messenger, in work terms), but another resource to try out.

The voice chat is pretty effortless, unlike the built in voice comms, as well, and we have a number of channels set up (and can create more). I highly recommend using the voice channels when winging up with people, or just to use like a CB radio.

Return to “News and Announcements”