The place for you to catch the latest news
SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: David Braben will answer your questions at 4PM GMT/UTC

Postby SJT » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 pm

If they go bust, the server code will not be theirs to give.

Turjan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Turjan

Postby Turjan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18 pm

The good :
DB has allayed fears about the survival of the game should servers become an issue! We've all wroked out by now that singleplayer mode isn't 'impossible', just 'not possible if FD want to maintain the dynamic galaxy they envisage'. So should the worst happen, the game could be transformed into a singleplayer version.
(that's assuming this statement proves more solid than the one where he said "Yes! There will be an offline mode" of course... ;) )

The bad :
Well, he sort of apologised about the offline debacle...except he didn't. All he actually said was he was sorry that people were upset which, while undoubtedly true, falls somewhat short of the apology the aggrieved are seeking. Presumably there's some legalese at work here. Which is understandable but looks bad nonetheless.

The ugly :
While DB mentioned that refunds are available, people are having little success so far in securing one it seems. Refunds are being refused on the grounds that downloading and testing a beta is somehow the same as paying for and playing a finished retail product. While I'm sure FD's legal department is merely attempting to cover their bases and minimise any loss of revenue, once again what we're seeing is a total failure on the part of FD's Public Relations department.

The...uh...Fistful of Dollars! ;) :

Personally, I think it would've been much more profitable for them in the long run to simply suck up the loss of revenue from this disaster and chalk it all up to experience. Instead what they're doing now is actually the opposite of damage limitation : they're feeding a wildfire that will burn certainly until the game's release and quite possibly much further. Far from protecting the game's future for those of us who plan to play for as long as the game exists, what they're actually doing is jeopardising that future by fomenting so much negative publicity that a lot of potential purchasers might think twice before investing in "that company that gipped all those beta backers". And every future customer lost is another bump in the road for the game's long term survival.

Needless to say, this worries me...

Glen Fiddik
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Glen Fiddik

Postby Glen Fiddik » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 pm

It looks like FD have won this months stupid award.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Saves Globus getting it again.......I Spose.....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Jockgit64
Master
Master
CMDR: Jockgit
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Jockgit64 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Saves Globus getting it again.......I Spose.....

:D

Oh that's harsh :D Funny, but harsh ;)

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 am

Is there no offline mode then?
"Wibble"

Zieman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Zieman

Postby Zieman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 am

Avago-Earo wrote:Is there no offline mode then?
What offline mode? There never was any offline mode (according to DB)... :roll:

Pffft, very disappointing Q & A session that. Basically, DB gives a significant portion of his dream's backers the finger, in a "I got your money - stop whining & give me more money" way :x , you know - "let the rabble grumble, throw 'em a few bread crumps, would you like another cup of sherry?"
Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
My Elite: Dangerous videos , All you wanted to know about the game. And more.

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Postby Philip Coutts » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:58 am

I have to say I lost faith in the Q&A sessions a long time ago. Too easy to cherry pick the questions and answer how you want with no cross examination. What we need is an interview between David Braben and Jeremy Paxman.....

Return to “News and Announcements”