The place for you to catch the latest news
CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

First bonus for playing in OPEN coming to PP

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:42 am

FD to introduce "significant" bonus to Power Play players for playing in Open. IMO, more bonus for playing in OPEN will soon follow.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3669305

" I'm currently rather taken by the concept of a success multiplier for Commanders in Open Play. this modifier would not improve personal gains from power play activities, but it would magnify the effectiveness of a power's actions (expand, oppose, fortify, undermine). And the effect would probably be significant." - Sandro
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: First bonus for playing in OPEN coming to PP

Postby smartroad » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:39 am

You know what I am almost thinking of leaving elite with this constant focus on pvp. I don't like pvp, I never have, never will, because when given the chance many online gamers are jerks. I want to play a game, A GAME, not have a second life. I have enough shit with jerks from work, I don't want it in my escapism time.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 am

Luckily this is Sandra just thinking out loud. No decisions are made yet. Still it seems he is leaning towards a more PvP style.
The consequences would be that less players will take part in PP though Imho.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:47 am

I hope not. We were told by FDev that all modes are equal. If this was introduced it would be the thin edge of the wedge and set a bad precedent.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:56 am

Wolf wrote:Luckily this is Sandra just thinking out loud. No decisions are made yet. Still it seems he is leaning towards a more PvP style.
The consequences would be that less players will take part in PP though Imho.

So PP is Sandro's baby, and when you listen to the other developers they tend to defer to him on any PP questions, so I suspect that he is looking for anything to revitalise a part of the game that many players have either ignored, or just simply use as a means to get bonuses without any true interaction.

I suspect that PP tends to be a casual affair for most participants, you can see this by the over-fortification of so many systems, where IMO players are just getting their bonuses by going to the most convenient rather most strategic system.

The main gripe of PVP players is the lack of other players to PVP with, and the main gripe of dedicated PP'ers is that they can't stop the mass effects of people they can't see, so giving a bonus for doing your PP stuff in open answers both of these issues.

Now Sandro states clearly that
this modifier would not improve personal gains from power play activities
only that it would magnify PP power activities, so for the majority it is irrelevant and only really affects those dedicated to PP.

Oddly, I don't have an issue with this, the concept of risk vs. reward is fine IMO, but I suspect that the majority of the player base will continue to ignore it, and all the time there is no personal gain to be made it's fine with me.

TL:DR - Sandro is trying to re-vitalise the flagging PP system and sees PVP players as a way to do it.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:04 am

@Xebeth good points.

Would be easy enough to circumvent some of the mechanisms to gain an advantage. Sandro says, "but it would magnify the effectiveness of a power's actions (expand, oppose, fortify, undermine)." An example - one could pick up some fortification cargo, fly in Solo, arrive at the delivery station, switch to Open mode, and deliver them.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:11 am

Phillipus wrote:I hope not. We were told by FDev that all modes are equal. If this was introduced it would be the thin edge of the wedge and set a bad precedent.

I'm not so sure (or at least I hope not), when PP came out I can remember one of the Lead Designers (can't remember his name) stating that it was a complete surprise to him, couple this with Sandro's comment
Now, one final Caveat. *As it stands currently*, we have time allotted in season two to work on Powerplay. These suggestions are just a part of that work - there is other stuff as well. However, I can't commit to the Unbreakable Vow, because it's very possible that in the fluid world of development, things might change!

and I get the feeling that PP is a bit of a 'pet project', and Sandro may get some time to work on it, but has been told that if there is other stuff they need to do that PP will take a back seat to it.

I think they are letting him play with PP, but as an aside to the main game.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:37 am

It's a slippery slope.

Throwing buffs/perks at different modes will only help to polarise the community in my opinion. It isn't changing my opinion on modes, that's for sure.

Quite the opposite actually...

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:41 am

The insane marketing towards PvP only was the exact reason I DIDN'T buy or back elite from the start!
PP has been steadily worsened each week anyway.. Anyone remember the galaxy map last summer? Now it's a potmarked junk field.. Influence spheres are so much smaller as a whole than they used to be.

Elite alienates the majority of people that might play the game, since most people play games that aren't direct PvP, but are PvX or PvE.

This is why ElitePvE exists, since frontier refuses to acknowledge a significant portion of the population that don't want this frakking stuff to be forced onto them. As such, my default playgroup will continue to be 'MurrbiusPvE.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:47 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:It's a slippery slope.

Throwing buffs/perks at different modes will only help to polarise the community in my opinion. It isn't changing my opinion on modes, that's for sure.

Quite the opposite actually...

This is very true, in this case if they were to PVPerise PP it wouldn't IMO bring people to PP, it would drive PVEers away from it. The same goes for anything else, that's why in games like WoW, PVP and PVE actually has different gear, with the bonuses you get from PVP gear really being effective in PVP, whilst the PVE stuff is better for PVE.

But to be honest, I don't think they'll do this, DB has been quite adamant that there is no difference between the modes, I still think this is just PP fiddling (if it ever even happens).

Return to “News and Announcements”