The place for you to catch the latest news
Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: First bonus for playing in OPEN coming to PP

Postby Tifu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:48 am

I'm not a hardcore PP player by any definition so this development doesn't really affect me. My concern though is that since FD has plans to tie PP and the BGS closer together - this approach may move over to the BGS gameplay eventually. I really hope that doesn't happen.
Last edited by Tifu on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby charlie2alpha » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm one of those that will abandon PP altogether if I have to engage with PvP activities. I just don't care for the strategic aspect and I clearly do it for the personal bonuses. As it was already said, it's a game, I don't want to be forced in an activity I don't want to.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Darr Valen wrote:<snip>
PP has been steadily worsened each week anyway.. Anyone remember the galaxy map last summer? Now it's a potmarked junk field.. Influence spheres are so much smaller as a whole than they used to be.

After an initial peak of interest, PP quickly became a niche thing, with most people either completely ignoring it or just using it for the bonuses. It's a nice concept, but in ED terms it's just a mini-game, these type of strategy games don't suit MMOs (IMO) as most players are too self absorbed with their own personal goals (which isn't a criticism).

Darr Valen wrote:Elite alienates the majority of people that might play the game, since most people play games that aren't direct PvP, but are PvX or PvE.

I'm not sure I agree it alienates people per se, but it does force them into solo or private groups, it's kind of a niche game anyway, but I do agree an open PVE mode would be a better solution for the game going forward, but..

Darr Valen wrote:This is why ElitePvE exists, since frontier refuses to acknowledge a significant portion of the population that don't want this frakking stuff to be forced onto them. As such, my default playgroup will continue to be 'MurrbiusPvE.

I suspect they know this, but given that modes like Mobius works for the majority of the time I guess they are putting their resources elsewhere. We've recently seen a statement condemning the recent behaviour of some groups, and they were very helpful when we had issues, so it's not like they are unaware of us and how we want to play.

Don't get be wrong, I would love a proper PVE Open mode, with a well thought out PVP flagging system and appropriate risks and rewards, but to be honest, whilst Mobius works if it was a choice between them working on more content, improved missions, etc and Open PVE, I'd rather have the improved content.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:06 pm

Xebeth wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:It's a slippery slope.

Throwing buffs/perks at different modes will only help to polarise the community in my opinion. It isn't changing my opinion on modes, that's for sure.

Quite the opposite actually...

This is very true, in this case if they were to PVPerise PP it wouldn't IMO bring people to PP, it would drive PVEers away from it...snip

My main reason for posting the news was for those that don't PP to see what FD was planning. I wouldn't have seen this if someone had not brought it to my attention. I also posted the news in the DD discussion of the FD boards for the same reason.

The second reason was that once FD decides to buff Open for something, with the reasoning that one mode is 'harder' than another, I see no reason why people wouldn't apply the same argument to other aspects of the game...

The example I used was the BGS. The same argument could be made, and all the PKP'ers would then say, 'look, they buffed Open for PP for the same reason, we need to do it for other things too'. This, of course, has already happened in the PP thread in the FD forums.

I think FD is going to make the change to PP, and people have already started in on more changes to buff Open. As has been said, I think this will drive more people away from PP and the game in general. If FD is cool with that, there's not much we can do.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:32 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:
Xebeth wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:It's a slippery slope.

Throwing buffs/perks at different modes will only help to polarise the community in my opinion. It isn't changing my opinion on modes, that's for sure.

Quite the opposite actually...

This is very true, in this case if they were to PVPerise PP it wouldn't IMO bring people to PP, it would drive PVEers away from it...snip

My main reason for posting the news was for those that don't PP to see what FD was planning. I wouldn't have seen this if someone had not brought it to my attention. I also posted the news in the DD discussion of the FD boards for the same reason.

The second reason was that once FD decides to buff Open for something, with the reasoning that one mode is 'harder' than another, I see no reason why people wouldn't apply the same argument to other aspects of the game...

The example I used was the BGS. The same argument could be made, and all the PKP'ers would then say, 'look, they buffed Open for PP for the same reason, we need to do it for other things too'. This, of course, has already happened in the PP thread in the FD forums.

I think FD is going to make the change to PP, and people have already started in on more changes to buff Open. As has been said, I think this will drive more people away from PP and the game in general. If FD is cool with that, there's not much we can do.

All good points, but the PK'ers have been arguing the 'hard mode' concept since day one, and 14 months down the line nothing has happened.

The BGS question is the only really worrying one here, if they were for example make trading in open or bounties gained in open have a greater influence effect then that would be a concern.

Apart from that, even if they were to give open players a big super rainbow laser, it makes little difference to anyone else, we'll never see them after all.

But at the end of the day this is all speculation, only FD have the stats, only they know the splits between the modes, and in reality they are more likely do to stuff that they feel will bring people to the game not drive them away (of course they could get this wrong).

You are right, there is not much we can do, only voice our concerns, it's their decision at the end of the day, we just have to hope they make the right choice.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Xebeth wrote: . . . DB has been quite adamant that there is no difference between the modes . . .

It wouldn't take much to alter 'has been' to 'was'.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Walter wrote:
Xebeth wrote: . . . DB has been quite adamant that there is no difference between the modes . . .

It wouldn't take much to alter 'has been' to 'was'.

True, very true

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Xebeth wrote:...snip...
You are right, there is not much we can do, only voice our concerns, it's their decision at the end of the day, we just have to hope they make the right choice.

Well, Agony Aunt locked my thread in the FD forums where I was trying to generate discussion on the point that of PP changes causing similar changes to the BGS due to the underlying logic.

I guess we can't even talk about it now. (edit* AA reopened my thread contingent on clarifying its' purpose, which hopefully, I did)
Last edited by CMDR Abil Midena on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:39 pm

There is no excuse to break the rule.

I have always been of the opinion that Elite's strength is in it's Solo=Group=Open rule. Sandro can play with fire cause there is basically no competition.

Doing what he suggest isn't the right way to revitalise a flagging concept. Fix the fundamental flaw in that part of the game design. Don't break the game.

Now personally I have a suspicion that the golden rule has already been broken. Going to test out that theory. ;)

Have fun, fly safe. o7

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but this reply to me from Sandro sounds very much like...when Open bonuses for BGS work will happen, not if...

"Hello Commander Abil Midena!

The difference between the background simulation and Powerplay is that Powerplay is explicitly designed to be competitive in nature, where Commanders are mechanically pinning their colours to the mast, so to speak.

However, you raise a valid point. In truth, it's impossible to to say with any certainty whether we'd want to push the concept a wider: we'd need to commit to adding it to Powerplay, then see how well it actually played out - that's a lot of bridges to cross. "

Especially from the second part, to me, they have already committed changing PP...the rest will follow. Time is ticking...
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Return to “News and Announcements”