Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

DEV UPDATE (28/01/2016)

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:18 pm

NPC's are going to get interesting, guys and gals!!!! :evil:

Hi everyone,

This week saw the release of the 2.04 minor update and we are currently looking at another minor update next week to address some stability issues and the problem with barnacles and some settlements not always appearing.

We are continuing development on 2.1 and deliveries beyond that and in this week’s update I will talk about some changes coming to NPC behaviour in 2.1. The AI control of ships is an ongoing balance with the aim of providing a fun, but easier experience for combat for lower ranked NPCs and making the higher level opponents provide a decent challenge. For 2.1 we’re adding a host of changes and fixes to improve the AI of NPC ships in the game.

First is adjusting the overall balance of the skills for the AI pilots, this is a slightly flatter curve in ability for low to medium levels, but higher level opponents (like Elite ranked) will have a much higher improvement to their skills. One change is that they use missiles and torpedoes more effectively – especially at the higher ranks. They will wait until the target’s shields are down before using them. The range of tactics available to the AI pilots is now rated for the different skill levels, providing a wider range of tactics for the different ranks.

The higher ranked pilots will also try and avoid damage more to improve the chance of survival and make less deliberate mistakes than the lower ranked cannon fodder.

AI can no longer use energy weapons if they’re running hot to manage their heat better. They will also spam chaff less and only using them if they are taking damage and their opponent is using gimbals or turrets. High ranked ships will flee when their shields are down to enable them to recharge them. They’ll keep out of weapons range until their shields are back up, then turn to attack once more.

For commanders who rely on flying their ships in reverse the more skilled AI have learned a new response to counter it – you have been warned!

As well as the tweaks and enhancements there are fixes for some known AI issues including them not getting stuck rotating in space, stop them keep firing hatch breakers and address some issues with pip management. This includes some behaviour to improve their use of pips for situations like fleeing or pursuing. There’s also been an overhaul of the different states to make sure that AI has appropriate behaviours if there’s something going on.

Thanks!

Michael

Link to post:
https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/376
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Re: DEV UPDATE (28/01/2016)

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Better AI, no more reversing.. I better take those guns off Python and start a mining career instead ;)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson

Postby Judson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:31 pm

JohnLuke wrote:NPC's are going to get interesting, guys and gals!!!! :evil:

Aye but if that instant chaffing stops I will be pleased! :P

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Goodbye reverse boost flip, you will be missed.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:38 pm

As someone who almost always flies in reverse in combat, I'd be interested to know what this counter is, and how effective it is. (Or if it can also be countered.)

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Kiltrathi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Perhaps pin-point accuracy and the AI can use their weapons at a greater distance with no distance penalty.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Well, the latter part of that just sounds like outright cheating. If that's all it is, that doesn't worry me though.

I reverse-thrust against ships that cannot possibly win as long as my guns are on them, as a means of bridging the maneuverability gap. If they just hit me more, that doesn't worry me much; it may just mean losing a second ring of shields.

Now for the huge ships, I definitely use different tactics.

What I'm thinking is that this means the ships will just try and rush at me if I'm doing reverse thrust. If their ship is fast enough, that would generally work for them. It may mean ramming--but if it's a smaller ship, I don't much care.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:40 pm

It just seems we are just going to spend more time chasing stuff down, from comments later in the thread on the FD forum they will use the direction of fire relative to your ship to determine if you are using gimbals so no more insta-chaff when you are flying straight as your target, the heat management means there will be gaps in their fire, and the missile thing is fairly irrelevant anyway.

All in all, I'm not sure this will make them tougher, just different.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:30 am

Xebeth wrote:It just seems we are just going to spend more time chasing stuff down, from comments later in the thread on the FD forum they will use the direction of fire relative to your ship to determine if you are using gimbals so no more insta-chaff when you are flying straight as your target, the heat management means there will be gaps in their fire, and the missile thing is fairly irrelevant anyway.

All in all, I'm not sure this will make them tougher, just different.

I like that! :D
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “News and Announcements”