The place for you to catch the latest news
LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Dev Update (21/01/2016) CQC???

Postby LionOfNarnia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Agree with pretty much everything said, and want to add my mighty roar to the "I will NEVER have anything to do with CQC no matter what the bastards cook up" faction.

...but in some ways, I'm more concerned about the 'engineers at ground stations' bit, as I have NO intention of giving FD any more money (i.e. Horizons) until the BGS actually works. Maybe not even then. I'm here for meaningful space combat. Not mining, exploring, smuggling etc - although I concede that I may occasionally have to do a bit more trading, tedious though it is. IMO if they ever make it so that Horizons owners get stuff that gives them an overwhelming combat advantage is akin to 'pay to win', which is the point I walk away. With 'Beyond Skyrim - the Province Collaboration' due for release this year that won't be hard to do ;)

Back to CQC, I think the best place for it is under a sub-menu of 'training' from the launcher, with ZERO mention or influence within the core of the sim. For sure NOT even referred to in the Systems panel!
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:56 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:CQC types will get extra spoilers on their ships, a muffler mod that makes their ship sound more farty, and maybe one of those cat toys on their dashboard to keep their attention while they fly their ship playing the actual game.

I f I had a drink I definitely would have spat it out when I read this. It seriously made me laugh out loud.

Maybe a bit of Role Play would make it more appetizing.

Picture the scene,... the CQC Featherweight Champion Of The Sand Pit... He approaches the 'Engineer',
"Let me see your CQC score", says the Engineer, also known as Mike The Mechanic, through a puff of 'Old Hairy Lavian Baccy'
Clive, the partner of Shaz, as is obvious by their names emblazoned on the windscreen (Sorry, 'canopy') of his Eagle, hands over his score to the wizened hand of the man before him.
"Hmm..." mutters Mike, stroking his unshaven chin with one hand and reaching into a Snap On cabinet with the other, "I have just the thing." And with that, to the wide eyed appreciation of Clive, he hands him a Nodding Dog, Bitch On Board sticker, and some Furry Dice.

With that they bid their farewells and our gallant Pinball Wizard wonders off into the gloomy corridors of the oil soaked outpost.
"Wibble"

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm sending you the bill for the tea I just spat over the keyboard & screen ;)
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:25 pm

"your rank with the navy is his key consideration"
So more linked to Naval ranks. Time to grind to King and Admiral it seems...
BTW agree with the CQC concerns as well
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:55 pm

I'll be bothered about the CQC bit when they announce some actual details, right now it all I can see is indignation for indignation's sake. I did play some CQC, it wasn't bad, just not my thing, repetitive (like most PvP modes) and didn't add to me Elite experience, it seems like a half-hearted addition, if they added a few PvE challenges and Co-op challenges in there it might surface as a blip on my interest-o-meter.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 am

Feldspar wrote:I'll be bothered about the CQC bit when they announce some actual details, right now it all I can see is indignation for indignation's sake. I did play some CQC, it wasn't bad, just not my thing, repetitive (like most PvP modes) and didn't add to me Elite experience, it seems like a half-hearted addition, if they added a few PvE challenges and Co-op challenges in there it might surface as a blip on my interest-o-meter.

I don't think I'm being indignant for the sake of it. I just don't see how an arcade shooter fits into the core game and would like the two to be separate (as well as the score on the Status Tab). My concern is that certain aspects of the game, like the one mentioned here, will rely on involvement in CQC, therefore making a player have to indulge in order to take advantage. It could be pure speculation and those things aren't just available solely by scoring in CQC, in which case cool, everyone can 'play their own way' still. I think you are right about it feeling like a 'half-hearted addition' and that's why I want it well away from the main game. I'm just not sure how many Commanders feel the same way.

Cheers!
"Wibble"

Return to “News and Announcements”