The place for you to catch the latest news
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 2.03 patch

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:48 am

Avago-Earo wrote:Yeah it does look good. After 2.01 though I'm on of those who just lock up as soon as the game menu shows so I'm watching you tube to keep up to date. As I'm not that computer savvy when it comes to gaming and online stuff I can't even guess what the problem is. Some people on the Frontier forum talk about 'MTU?' number or some such.

I can wait. I've just finished building a vocal isolation booth so I might get the paint brush out.

Any Commanders managing to get out there, fly safe and keep me posted.

I'd much rather have a VIB like yours, than be worrying about the MTU (which I have no clue what is by the way). Have you used egg trays?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:04 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:Yeah it does look good. After 2.01 though I'm on of those who just lock up as soon as the game menu shows so I'm watching you tube to keep up to date. As I'm not that computer savvy when it comes to gaming and online stuff I can't even guess what the problem is. Some people on the Frontier forum talk about 'MTU?' number or some such.

I can wait. I've just finished building a vocal isolation booth so I might get the paint brush out.

Any Commanders managing to get out there, fly safe and keep me posted.

I'd much rather have a VIB like yours, than be worrying about the MTU (which I have no clue what is by the way). Have you used egg trays?

Not egg cartons. Still it's not up there with those £3000 ones. I got some 7X3' MDF boards and 2by2 timber and hinges and a small caster for the door to roll on the floor. Inside I attached a layer of large bubble wrap then covered that with rugs. The rugs I used are the cheap 'hairy' ones.

This is not intended to sound patronising as you could be a quantum physicist as far as I know but I learned this: Egg cartons have been used as a cheap means of sound diffusion by sending reflected sound in all directions to avoid unwanted echo and phase cancellation (when two sound waves meet at the same point ant the up and down 'peaks' are opposed). As sound is physical energy it can be 'dampened'. In the case of carpet the fibres move with the rarified (moving, oscilating bla bla) air and the resulting friction is converted to heat therfore dissipating some of the energy so there is less to travel elsewhere.

It works really well. I live in a block of flats and among other styles do a lot of punk stuff.

It cost about £150-200 to build.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:Not egg cartons. Still it's not up there with those £3000 ones. I got some 7X3' MDF boards and 2by2 timber and hinges and a small caster for the door to roll on the floor. Inside I attached a layer of large bubble wrap then covered that with rugs. The rugs I used are the cheap 'hairy' ones.

This is not intended to sound patronising as you could be a quantum physicist as far as I know but I learned this: Egg cartons have been used as a cheap means of sound diffusion by sending reflected sound in all directions to avoid unwanted echo and phase cancellation (when two sound waves meet at the same point ant the up and down 'peaks' are opposed). As sound is physical energy it can be 'dampened'. In the case of carpet the fibres move with the rarified (moving, oscilating bla bla) air and the resulting friction is converted to heat therfore dissipating some of the energy so there is less to travel elsewhere.

It works really well. I live in a block of flats and among other styles do a lot of punk stuff.

It cost about £150-200 to build.

Note to self; cartons not trays. :)

How did you know I was a quantum physicist? Is it that obvious? :shock: No. I'm not. But people often come up to me on the street and say: Excuse me, but are you a quantum physicist?.....

No, I didn't know any of what you just told me. But I've found that asking people about what they do usually provides me with new knowledge. It's a neat trick really, and an easy way to get first rate intel from someone in the know. :)

Only risk is that things tend to go off topic/target... ;)

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:15 pm

I seem to have sorted my glaring HUD issues by turning both the gamma level and the cockpit brightness level down to about 1/5th and turning bloom down to low. It's much more acceptable to look at now. I even had stars while fly about for 20 minutes last night. 5 CTDs but hey...it's something. Plus, with dropping the gamma down, the inside of the stations don't look like 1980s VR lighting any more.

It'll be interesting what 2.03 is expecting to fix.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Neillm wrote:I seem to have sorted my glaring HUD issues by turning both the gamma level and the cockpit brightness level down to about 1/5th and turning bloom down to low. It's much more acceptable to look at now. I even had stars while fly about for 20 minutes last night. 5 CTDs but hey...it's something. Plus, with dropping the gamma down, the inside of the stations don't look like 1980s VR lighting any more.

I think you might be on to something. The bloom setting should definitely be set to Low. I didn't know that it affected the HUD though?

Edit: Wait. They've changed the graphics menu as well. And I can't see any change to my hud when switching between High and Low bloom. I don't know...

2. Edit: My default Bloom setting was, and is, High, and it doesn't seem to have any impact on the odd HUD glow.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Neillm wrote:I seem to have sorted my glaring HUD issues by turning both the gamma level and the cockpit brightness level down to about 1/5th and turning bloom down to low. It's much more acceptable to look at now. I even had stars while fly about for 20 minutes last night. 5 CTDs but hey...it's something. Plus, with dropping the gamma down, the inside of the stations don't look like 1980s VR lighting any more.

I think you might be on to something. The bloom setting should definitely be set to Low. I didn't know that it affected the HUD though?

I'm not 100% convinced that it did, but seemed to take a bit of the edge off things. Maybe it was a coincidence with 2.02 being released and I was just so chuffed at having stars and not a fixed Galaxy map backdrop (complete with my system being selected!) that I got too giddy. :D

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:56 pm

I've been looking at the HUD for a while now, and what I see is some kind of gimmicky holografic/electric flare interference running across the entire HUD. It makes no difference if Bloom is Off, Low or High. Or Blur ON Off for that matter.

I didn't notice it at first, but now I find it very annoying and totally out of place. We're talking year 3300. :x

Is this what "the HUD discussion" is about?

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Just in....18:21.....

Update about Beta 2.03 will be with you shortly. Keep your eyes peeled

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

NoSScar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Nosscar

Postby NoSScar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:24 pm

I haven't been able to play since beta 2. Just managed a few tutorials, but now I get the red start button, and the frozen locked menu screen that I have to use task manager to kill.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:37 pm

NoSScar wrote:I haven't been able to play since beta 2. Just managed a few tutorials, but now I get the red start button, and the frozen locked menu screen that I have to use task manager to kill.

At least it's not our systems as my issues are identical to yours.
"Wibble"

Return to “News and Announcements”