Not related at all to the game or group
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Oculus Rift

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:49 am

If you haven't used head tracking before, you need so reset your hmd orientation. You can set it up in key bindings and assign a command in voice attack too. I think the default is F12 - just look straight ahead and execute the command and the view will snap to align with your view.

Congrats on your Rift - and at 1/2 price too! :)
It's time to give this another go.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby tinnitus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:If you haven't used head tracking before, you need so reset your hmd orientation. You can set it up in key bindings and assign a command in voice attack too. I think the default is F12 - just look straight ahead and execute the command and the view will snap to align with your view.

Congrats on your Rift - and at 1/2 price too! :)

Yes that did it - thank-you. Just went inside the station for the first time --- yikes, wow this is the real deal amazing.

added later;

never thought I say this but the Cutter looks smaller inside the Toaster :o
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm sure you went through the setup process during installation.

But make sure you get the IPD setting just right and this includes how high the HMD sits on your face.
Many, me included make the mistake of wearing the rift a little too high.
And especially most, if not, all the pr pics has the models wearing the HMD far too high.

Me and for most, optimal viewpoint is so low the top of the device is fully on the brow, for me this is also fairly more comfortable as well, and the lower section section completely envelops my nose.
The lower edge is actually about halfways between my nose and my upper lip.
But again, this varies between individuals so experiment experiment.

Took me about a week and a half to get that perfect fit that is needed for hours of non fatiguing VR.
Once it's right text shouldn't really be blurred, unless you have blur turned on in graphics settings, just pixelated, and I learned to look past the pixelation quick enough.
Also don't try to hold your head steady, instead bounce around, twist, move and lean.
Having this actually replicated gives such a feeling of presence.
And as you glide the screens grid over an area, the motion completely obscure the otherwise present SDE.
To me this also improves the legibility of text.
The most of important thing for being able to read the text was simply realising not to try so hard.
Just relax and make what you get out of what you get.

As for that initial wow factor.
I have been playing in VR for just over a year now.
And it hasn't gone away yet...
Also give the Asp explorer a go, and of course. The courier.
Vulture is also great.

In fact the only ship I haven't loved flying in vr is the Adder.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Yes I sure did go through that process and when I took the Cutter out and appeared behind the seat I rest everything including adjusting the sensor and height abracadabra everything is awesome well, may be the text can be sharper I've read that changing the colours light blue or green help but I like the default colours. Proven Transportation Colours (Red/Amber/Green/White) I think they are called in Canada.

Your correct wearing it lower is working for me - the biggest issues for me regarding text is I cannot wear my eyeglass. I can but it is not comfortable plus they can fog up. No problem now because I pulled an all nighter flying mostly in the Aspx and I'm use to it heck do not notice it. Flying around the station chasing security and through the rings is amazing and so if scooping fuel. Going exploring later after I go kill something with the Lance and Vulture. Courier you say may as well go buy one and have a look.

The only reason I did not get into this before now is because I have an inner ear disorder was worried about puking (lol) I do get a little jolt when docking but I just land differently instead of nose sharply downward. Zres combat and a puke bucket here I come :) Karen bought it for me because she got sick of hearing me talking about it plus they dropped the price all good I say.

Anyway TorTorden thanks for your help. Always knew this game is very high in detail well in VR it multiples that many times. WOW and awesome, amazing are words I'm going to be using a lot.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:00 pm

I know its not everyone's cup of tea as its not very interactive, and I have sang its praises a few times on this forum. But if you can try Apollo 11 VR. Its not very expensive and for that sense of 'being there' in another place in history, its second to none. Its something you will use only a few times but still, well worth it.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 pm

DarkMere wrote:I know its not everyone's cup of tea as its not very interactive, and I have sang its praises a few times on this forum. But if you can try Apollo 11 VR. Its not very expensive and for that sense of 'being there' in another place in history, its second to none. Its something you will use only a few times but still, well worth it.

I've been looking around for VR stuff, like Planet Earth, Oceans, etc. I'm going to take your advice and thanks for the tip.
Image]

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:27 am

tinnitus wrote:I've been looking around for VR stuff, like Planet Earth, Oceans, etc. I'm going to take your advice and thanks for the tip.

You might want to take a look this this thread. Lot's of great VR game recommendations there. 8-)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:00 am

Right, I've taken the plunge and bought the Occulus Rift bundle that's on offer at Amazon.
Mentioned to the missus that I was thinking about one and she actually encouraged me to go for it, so that was it, off I went.
Looking forward to experiencing VR for the first time.
I ordered a USB3 expansion card for the PC too, just to be on the safe side.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 am

tinnitus wrote:
DarkMere wrote:I know its not everyone's cup of tea as its not very interactive, and I have sang its praises a few times on this forum. But if you can try Apollo 11 VR. Its not very expensive and for that sense of 'being there' in another place in history, its second to none. Its something you will use only a few times but still, well worth it.

I've been looking around for VR stuff, like Planet Earth, Oceans, etc. I'm going to take your advice and thanks for the tip.

Hope you enjoy it! I did laugh, I read one comment from some guy who had given it 1 out of 5 stars, that he thought it was boring as there was nothing to shoot at! Wrong game he should have bought Elite :D

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:44 pm

I had to laugh at a one star review......

Chap had bought it for his grandson and was complaining like hell it just did not work.......

His grandson had a PS4.........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Off-Topic”