Not related at all to the game or group
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Oculus Rift

Postby tinnitus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:40 am

Appears that lucky me is getting a surprise gift in 3 days, an Oculus Rift so psst don't tell anyone. Apparently the package requires a signature and the shipper called checking to see if an adult would be home on the arrival date, I said no but would I do. Where I live requires a ferry so that makes deliveries a little tougher. I am aware of the Rift and Vive but have no experience with either. Hopefully the setup is easy and I can adjust to not being able to see keyboard and HOTAS. All I know is it is the Oculus Rift + Oculus Touch Bundle. :D
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Re: Oculus Rift

Postby DarkMere » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 am

The set up is very easy and so many of the titles are jaw dropping, I am sure you will love it.

At the risk of many VR users shouting foul :shock: , and this is just MY personal opinion. VR in ED for combat is fantastic and absolutely a game changer. However for much of the rest of the game I prefer to just use the good old monitor. For example if I am just running basic meds from A to B, I find the normal monitor set up, while not visually as good, to be better from a practical point of view. Horses for courses.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53 am

Congrats.

Personally I couldn't fathom playing outside vr now.
Ranging from combat, to traveling to Colonia, and everything in between.

Also, not that I mind answering questions here, I recommend the Frontier forums VR subsection.
Unlike the rest of that board, consisting of whiny babies, this sub-forum is actually friendly and helpful in regards to VR.

Also, don't try using the maps with mouse and keyboard, apart from typing in the search field.
FD messed some stuff up so mouse doesn't work AT ALL, when in VR and gal map particularily.
Solution is simple, bind the map functions to your HOTAS, And don't try selecting the stars, but the grid markers instead.
You are completely free to bind virtually all buttons to gal map functions that you haven't used for UI navigation whithout overwriting any regular flight buttons.
After a week or so of refining my new method for using the gal map I don't even think about the mouse any more when I play.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks DarkMere and TorTorden, I have bookmarked the VR link and it is starting to feel a lot like Christmas :D . Good to know that one can easily switch between the two was worried about being "Out of Control and Blind as a Bat". Thanks again Commanders - off to my deck, pot of coffee, IPAD and read that "VR" Sub-Forum link. Well some of it.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I highly recommend using the ED Profiler for switching between VR and monitor graphics settings.

I use my Vive mostly for combat and exploration, and really like having a quick way to change my E-D graphics setting between the two modes.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:30 am

JohnLuke wrote:I highly recommend using the ED Profiler for switching between VR and monitor graphics settings.

I use my Vive mostly for combat and exploration, and really like having a quick way to change my E-D graphics setting between the two modes.

Thanks JohnLuke read about that ED-profiler this morning and downloaded it. I'm ready to get at it as soon as the VR arrives a day early so tomorrow hopefully I do not break things too bad. :)
Image]

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:11 am

tinnitus wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:I highly recommend using the ED Profiler for switching between VR and monitor graphics settings.

Thanks JohnLuke read about that ED-profiler this morning and downloaded it. I'm ready to get at it as soon as the VR arrives a day early so tomorrow hopefully I do not break things too bad. :)

Just try to be mindful of your surroundings.

I have personally walked, at some speed even. straight into my fuse box twice. Fortunately I had closed it.
Punched the ceiling on several occasions, and various walls.
And at one time I tried even putting the HMD through the floor...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

A few good tips there TorTorden, have a elliptical machine just behind me may as well move that today been planning to do it for sometime. Will have to game proof the entire room looks like wife's study room is going to receive a few new additions today she will be so happy with hubby :shock: Have been playing around with Voice Attack it certainly can takeover most of the game keyboard macros I been using. Going to spend a couple hours in the front garden plugging weeds that way I will not miss the delivery man. :) Thanks for the help.
Image]

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Just remember Tor is not of this world.......

The man is just not normal.......

Believe me....I fly with the psycho........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:41 pm

***WOW*** chit this is out of this world am floating in space man the station is BIG. Parked the Cobra outside before I started to setup the rift can't wait to do everything. Anyway so far not too bad with the Rift, text is a little out of focus and my ship appears to be out of center, sensors are a little to far left have to figure that stuff out. Thought that Tyrannosaurus Rex was going to eat me big buggers too.

Yeah heard Tor was from another Galaxy.
Image]

Return to “Off-Topic”