Not related at all to the game or group
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Self Parking Cars

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:57 am

I don't need one myself, but I keep seeing commercials for them showing the car parking itself in incredibly tight spaces. So if the person doesn't know how to parallel park, how exactly are they going to get out of these tight spaces? I assume it will involve trading paint with the other cars. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Kwigs
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Kwigs

Re: Self Parking Cars

Postby Kwigs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 am

The self-parking also has self-exiting functionality. I just recently bought a new family car that has this function. It's very bizarre taking your hands off the wheel and letting it steer while you just brake or accelerate.

MrSandman
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MrSandman

Postby MrSandman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:29 am

I've always wondered who would be to blame if you crashed into another car while using that self parking thing.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 am

I'm still coming to terms with the replacement of a handbrake with an electronic parking brake. Getting that exquisite balance while pitting my skill against gravity in a hill start was part of the satisfaction of driving. I haven't yet learned to manage or trust the electronics.

There are also concerns that I may have bought a car that's more intelligent than me.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Cars have been more intelligent than most for years... That's why when they have tantrums they shut down and sulk...

EPB's are good until you come to do a set of rear pads and the caliper won't go back into service mode... Then it's £300+ to get a new part.

I do like the anti rollback on vehicles nowadays, hill starts are less surge and jump :)

I prefer to park manually as I'm used to driving within tight spaces moving vehicles in and out of workshops and compound lines I would struggle to trust a car doing it for me, but knowing that customers request front parking sensors on vehicles I do appreciate there are a lot of people out there that struggle to park :(

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Walter wrote:There are also concerns that I may have bought a car that's more intelligent than me.

I laughed.......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm

My 2008 Passat CC has Park assist but I think I have used it once or twice as a test. Felt really weird not using the wheel so that was the end of it.

EPB is not my choice either. Nothing like pulling the HANDbreak on a corner to provoke a bit of oversteering slide, a huge smile on your face and a yellow faced passenger :)

But these days are over.... What is next? Docking computer on the Cutter? :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 pm

pargyrak wrote:EPB is not my choice either. Nothing like pulling the HANDbreak on a corner to provoke a bit of oversteering slide, a huge smile on your face and a yellow faced passenger :)

Thats the spirit! :D

I quite like the EPB in a "I'm getting older and driving is more of a chore than a pleasure" way. But my gripe with it is when it wont let go when you pull away and then you have to put your foot on the brake to manually release it so you look stupid :x :lol:

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm

I never see them advertise the drive away mode, so I thought they were worried about having the car pull out into traffic. But I guess they have self driving cars now, so it's no biggie.

I live in Flatland - I don't remember the last time I bothered with a parking brake. EPB doesn't sound fun if you're parked or stopped at a light on a steep hill with a manual transmission.

As for self driving cars, I'd trust them more than most drivers - just not as a passenger. Now once everybody has to be in a self driving car, then I'll be happy to hop in the luxurious back cabin, stretch out, and watch a movie - or more likely take a nap. I'd even feel safe riding a motorcycle on the streets again, assuming they are still allowed.
It's time to give this another go.

MadAzmo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MadAzmo

Postby MadAzmo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

I started driving cars only 13 years ago, back in 2004.
My first car was (and actually IS) a Fiat Punto from 1997 (she is turning 20 this October) with analog steering and braking alike.
Well I recently used some car sharing services (I live in Rome and the city center is pretty much offlimits with your own car for many reasons) with every kind of driving comfort.

It feels very weird to make the wheel spin even with a gentle blow of your lungs and graze the brake to make it go from 60kph to 0kph in one instant, not mentioning the beeping sounds when you move closer to another car while parking.

I feel like I can't even get used to this "common" features but thinking about making a start on a hill exiting from a tight parallel parking, could help me into it.

Return to “Off-Topic”